[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/! So I'm a first year EE student and I have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Whackamole.jpg (66 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
Whackamole.jpg
66 KB, 800x531
Hi /diy/!

So I'm a first year EE student and I have to build a version of the arcade game whack-a-mole with real whackable moles (so not just flickering LED's or something like that).

Now, I really like electronics but don't know anything about mechanical components to save my life (I have some know-how on simple (stepper) motors but that's about it). Yet I need to design a mechanism for moles to pop up that I can electronically control and I need a way for the moles to be pushed down again and to detect this. I guess I could accomplish the popping with a spring and some kind of blocking mechanism controlled by a stepper motor, but I don't have many ideas on what to use for that mechanism, let alone which sensor to use.

Now I'm not asking for a blue print. I'm just asking what kind of components you savvy people would use so I know in what direction to look. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance /diy/
>>
What about solenoids?
>>
>>945927
look up solenoids
>>
>>945927
this doesnt sound like a real 1st year project. I think you chose to do this. what is your actual assignment?

this project is beyond 1st year EE.

too many mechanical components that will be costly to produce a working product that will function like an actual whack a mole and not fall apart on the first whack.

pick something simpler like a lite brite.
>>
Man, I just don't get the school systems in other countries.
What exactly do they teach in 1st year EE where OP is at?
>>
i'm pretty sure that whacking real moles is illegal
>>
It sounds like it would be pretty simple to pull off honestly. I would mount my moles on a couple of drawer slides with a spring trying to push them up. Then I would rig a solenoid to a latch to hold them down( like a door latch). Then place a switch where its actuated by one of the slides when the latch is holding it down. Add some logic/micro controller and bobs your uncle
>>
File: Untitled.png (13 KB, 392x564) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13 KB, 392x564
>>945931
>>945932
These pretty much.

Use solenoids for the up/down movement.

Do something like pic related to detect hits.

Basically, you have a spring that holds a stick that's connected to the outer container (the mole, in your case, likely something like a solo cup) above an NO switch (best practice is doing stuff on close, not on open), so that when someone hits it, the stick presses the switch's button (use like a rubber dome switch like you find in keyboards/remote controls).

On the electronics side, you want to only iterate the score when the particular solenoid is activated and only once per activation. Your prof would also probably be impressed if hitting the switch also triggered an interruption of your normal timing sequence for how long it stays up causing it to go ahead and go down when it's hit.
>>
>>945927
Real Whack-a-mole games use air cylinders and solenoid-controlled valves.
>>
>>946006
Oh, and the targets are on springs and when you hit them they drop down a little and actuate a microswitch which indicates they've been hit.
>>
>>946006
In this line of thinking, what about using inflatable moles? You'd need some sort of valve that would give way under pressure when you hit it and then reseal itself. Then to make them pop up you'd just reinflate using a separate electronically controlled valve.
>>
Sorry for my late reply guys, anyways I have a good idea of how to get started now. I found >>945965 especially helpful, but I will consider everyone's notes.

Cheers ^^
>>
Sorry for my late reply guys, anyways I have a good idea of how to get started now. I found >>945965 especially helpful, but I will consider everyone's notes. I won't be using air because It will probably be quite challenging to make myself properly inflating puppets, but it's interesting.

Cheers ^^
>>
>>945949
upvoted
>>
>>945927
>real whackable moles

PETA notified.
>>
File: zFadcz.png (25 KB, 952x832) Image search: [Google]
zFadcz.png
25 KB, 952x832
>>945955
Just because it's too complex for whatever backwater you grew up in doesn't mean it is for the rest of the world tripcunt.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.