[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fish tank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Anything cool I could do for my little fishy ?
>>
>>945313
Paint your balls bright colors and stick them in the tank.
>>
>>945321
What kind of paint should I use ? Could I try using a black light on the tank ?
>>
>>945323
Black light on your balls with probably get you steryle and/or give you cancer
>>
>>945313
Move him to a 10 gallon tank, get a heater, get a filter that doesnt cause bad current, get rid of the aerator that is causing unnecessary bubbles and current which a Betta doesnt like. Then get some plants for the corners and other places so it can hide.

Throw in 8 neon tetras and a handful of ghost shrimp and youll be on your way.

If not, youll just slowly sap the life out of him with such awful and harsh conditions and itll be dead in months.
>>
File: 2016-01-29_18.42.13.jpg (1 MB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-29_18.42.13.jpg
1 MB, 1885x1060
>>945313
I was going for that look and fucked up.
>>
File: privacy please.jpg (97 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
privacy please.jpg
97 KB, 500x375
get some doll furniture
>>
>>945391
What kind of noise and maintenance in a tank like this? Looks so natural.
>>
>>945397
I'm not him but mine was very,very little. Replacing eaten vegetation now and then, and there's diy filter mufflers if the noise irritates ya.
>>
>>945397
That looks to be a ~46 gallon tank

Ideally you would do about a 10% water change, a quick gravel cleaning, and a water quality test each week.

The thing is, if you set your tank up slowly and correctly it pretty much takes care of itself so the maintenance isnt hard. Usually you can catch when there is a problem and fix it.

Fish waste is toxic to the fish, the water filtration systems actually create a bacteria that eats the ammonia in the waste and keeps the water clean. (google cycling a tank)

Your water changes will help keep the water in good shape too.

Its much harder in a small tank where the filters arent as strong, forcing you to do bigger volume water changes weekly which in turn is much harder on the fish.

The noise is all very dependent on what sort of aerator pumps and water filters you run, can be a low whine can be pretty loud depending on the setup.

You should be worrying about how much money its going to cost you, not how loud it is. Its like any other hobby where shit is marked up for 1000% margins.
>>
>>945340
I'm in no way expert on anything but I thought betas don't like other fish. Will the bigger tank make it easier for them to get along ?
>>
>>945508
Betas like any other fish need room to swim, proper water conditioning, a filtration system, etc. You just can't get that with the beta pods that pet shops sell, they're simply too small for any readable way to let your beta live a good healthy life. Goldfish also suffer from this fate of mass ignorance. I bet you didn't know that those quarter goldfish you can also buy can live 7 years and grow to be a foot long

The amount of fish a beta can get along with is small, but it exists. The main thing I'm sure you've heard is no two male betas.
>>
>>945513
Not picking on you but I've got some feeder goldfish in 1000 gallons mostly genetics keeps them to around 7 inches. I think to get one up to a foot you would have to have one on a serious feeding schedule when young and almost constant fresh water. And start with some fish from a breeder with good genetics. Also I've had betas with almost every kind of fish you just have to have a big enough tank that the fish dont focus in on one fish.
>>
>>945407
that post taught me a little bit about posting replies. thanks.
>>
>>945508
> betas don't like other fish. Will the bigger tank make it easier for them to get along ?

They are just like most other semi aggressive fish. They are territorial, so the size of tank is very important when picking other fish to put them with. Also important to pick docile fish..

Bettas in particular have a weird reputation. While not being any different than a lot of other aggressive fish, they are peddled off to people as being able to survive with no equipment in a cup. A lot of times its an impulse buy for people.
I think the perception comes from people who impulse bought one, throwing them in a 1 gallon tank with whatever other random fish they got. Then they are surprised that the betta systematically murdered each and every other fish within the hour.
The name Siamese fighting fish doesnt help perception either.

There isnt a general perception of freshwater barbs or angelfish being assholes, even though they are just as aggressive.
The reason being, someone impulse buying them throws one into a 1 gallon tank without a filter, without a heater, without it being cycled they are going to die within a few days.
>>
File: 1425481580923.jpg (340 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1425481580923.jpg
340 KB, 768x1024
i am also interested in this.
>>
File: 1419144286170.jpg (948 KB, 2000x1376) Image search: [Google]
1419144286170.jpg
948 KB, 2000x1376
>>945646
>>
>>945647
>>945646
Planted tanks look pretty great
>>
>>945627
I actually got it free from an elderly lady who can't take care of him any more.
>>
>>945805
You should go and buy a 10-20 gallon tank kit at a Petsmart.
Itll allow you to give him a lot of room, maybe add in a few extra fish, and really let you decorate it.

They sell plant bulbs that you can plant in gravel and other substrates that will just grow without you messing with it. Its pretty cool.
>>
>>945646
>>945647

co2 system ~150 minimum
fertilizers ~60
lights between 50 and 500. my 7.5 gallon light was 50.
PLANTS. Plants are FUCKING EXPENSIVE. To get a nice carpet like that you'll be spending 100 bucks minimum.

Planted tanks are not cheap.
>>
give it a little dishy
>>
>>945508
Generally speaking, as a slow ornamental fish, it would be the other way around, most will nip the crap out of a male beta.
>>
>>945627
That's because they can.

They evolved in seasonal flood-plains, and have adaptions that allow them to survive in pools cut off from the main body of water until the next flood. Apocryphally in buffalo's hoofprints.

They have a labyrinth organ they can use to breathe air, should the water get too inhospitable.
>>
>>945313
Give it a fucking heater. Add in a real fucking filter for like $10, throw away the bubbler. They can breathe fucking normal air and shoving them in a jar with a bubbler is like making him live in a hot tub.
Scratch that, go on craigslist and buy a 10gal tank setup someone bought for $50, is fed up with, and trying to get $20 for. The larger the tank, the less water changes you need. Add in some real substrate, not 8 glitter faggot rocks too.
>Don't ever buy anything related to aquariums new.

>BUT IT CAN SURVIVE JUST FINE! They sell them in basically a jar of water! REEEEEE
Just like a human can in shitty substandard conditions, until you die at 35. It'd be like living in Detroit.

You can add in some other fish too if you upsize, like tetras, but there's a good chance the betta will be aggressive. Add in some plants and shit for the tetras to hide, for the betta to chill, and they'll be fine unless you got a dick fish.
Don't put them with cichlids, the cichlid will pick their fins apart and then the betta will learn what fighting really is and won't survive the first week.

I'm not getting into maintenance faggot.

>Inb4 this has already been said. I don't fucking care.
>I didn't mention cycling. Bettas are hardier than most, if something has to cycle a tank, a betta is fine too.

>I did skim the pictures.
>>945391
Nice/10.

>>945396
I'm XxXtriggeredXxX by this shittiness on so many levels.

>>945646
Takes more work than a reef tank, and will stink your whole house up like a marsh. Its like adding a fucking garden into your aquarium.

>>945647
Another really nice one. Can't tell if it needs CO2 or not, might be the top right corner thing. If it does, that's a bitch. Same as above.
>>
>>945647
Is that a beta in the back? How do you find he is with the tetras?
>>
>>946656
Not that buy, but It does looks to be a betta, those are 2 pleccos on the left, 3 corry cats on the in the middle and on the right.

Tetra have long been the recommended fish to add in with a betta, because of how cheap they are, how colorful they are, and how they can get along OK if there is ample space and places to hide.
>>
>>945336
>cancer
His balls will match his thread
>>
>>946671
>Tetra have long been the recommended fish to add in with a betta, because of how cheap they are, how colorful they are, and how they can get along OK if there is ample space and places to hide.

I was told never to put shiny/colourful fish in with a betta as the betta would kill them. Interesting. The tank at my gym has a betta with tetras and they're fine; I thought that might have been a one off.

Looks like otos not pleccos. Stunning aquarium regardless.
>>
>>946728
I too have always heard to avoid shiny fish, but most importantly to avoid other long finned fish because Bettas love to nip. But at the same time I have seen, and heard, and myself have actually done Betta with a small school of Tetras and they seem to do good. Even though that is a contradiction.

And yeah im not sure what I was thinking, those are for sure otos, and the left are corys.

I have actually had a male betta with a small school of Fancy Guppys in a 20 wide. Never was really a problem. Getting lucky to not have an overly aggressive Betta I guess.
>>
>>945313
Buy him a friend?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.