[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the planning stages of building a bed for myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: bed.png (461 KB, 1201x645) Image search: [Google]
bed.png
461 KB, 1201x645
I'm in the planning stages of building a bed for myself and the soon-to-be mrs. as an engagement present. Though I don't know how to join the outer pieces so that i dont have screws showing on the outside.

i dont want to just have at it an put a laminite covering of the outside. any suggestions?

pic related
>>
>>944977
>getting married

Enjoy the alimony you beta cuck.
>>
>>944977
Pocket holes.
You can buy a little jig that does them very easily
>>
>>944982
i'll bite, but this isn't /b. there's no reason to be a complete doucher to someone just asking for help

>>944984
even if the wood i'm drilling into is only an inch thick? i don't want this thing to feel cheap
>>
>>944986
You could just even use dowels and wood glue and only mortise 3/4 of the way through.
As long as it's not structural and the bulk of it is supported correctly you should be fine.
>>
>>944988
i do have the major suppots as you can see in my picture, but im only planning on using 1.25" plywood on top.

honestly, this is my first build for anything (i built a bookshelf when i was 14, but i dont count that) would the outside structure be any load bearing? i have the supports in the middle go completely to the floor
>>
>>944990
Do you have any images of what the internals look like?

As long as you have something under the plywood to support everything then you should be fine.
>>
File: bed 2.png (566 KB, 1061x643) Image search: [Google]
bed 2.png
566 KB, 1061x643
>>944992
this is wht i have presently. note: i dont yet have a design for supports for the stairs either

i also have drawers on one side and cabinets on the other. i don't have the drawers inlayed like i do the cabinet, but the spaces are the same. theres roughly 2 inches of clearence in between everything.
>>
>>944990
1.25" ply might be over kill since your drawing show the load spread out over man supports. I built a washer and dryer pedestal using 3/4" ply and a frame with 6 supports.

Build that thing in sections because it's going to get heavy as fuck really fast.
>>
>>945007

Da fuck, that is way overkill. And you want to have some give so it doesn't break your back when you're laying on it.
>>
someone already builded it on youtube.
seen it past couple of weeks.
he made it for his daughter.

he used ikea cabins on the side , and tweaked some of them so you could stand on it if you want to walk the stair up.

look it up , dont know the exact link.
>>
File: sour grapes.jpg (114 KB, 354x605) Image search: [Google]
sour grapes.jpg
114 KB, 354x605
>>944982
What's wrong, m8? Grapes just a bit out of your reach?
>>
>>944990
1.25" ply is MASSIVE overkill. Plus you're adding a lot of weight.

The top sheet doesn't actually need any real strength since the supports do the work. Drop down to 1/2".

>>944977
>Though I don't know how to join the outer pieces so that i dont have screws showing on the outside.

This is a job for pocket screws, they are more than strong enough and can be disassembled when she makes you buy a house in a few years.

Also I'd suggest you strongly reconsider the height of the bed. Below bed cabinets should be short. A bed where your wife has to get out of bed by crawling over the whole thing to walk down some stairs is going to piss her, you, and anyone else she has over while you're working off.
>>
check this out, basically your idea:

https://youtu.be/vai8xV6jD60
>>
>>945969
>Also I'd suggest you strongly reconsider the height of the bed.

Proper bed height should be where the missus can stand by the side of the bed and comfortably lean forward onto it with legs spread slightly apart. Then you stand behind her and .....

... you get the idea.
>>
>>945007
I would definitely revise the top part. It doesn't need that much support. Furthermore if plan to do any rancorous fucking on this bed you should add supports both ways so you don't just thrust and have massive torsion in the bed.
>>
>>945986
I don't understand.
>>
File: 1447652659086.png (181 KB, 291x268) Image search: [Google]
1447652659086.png
181 KB, 291x268
>>946282
>>
>>945986
Fucking or butt fucking?
>>
>>946413
does it matter?
>>
>>945971
yep , you found it.
>>
>>945986
fug. I built my loft bed at the right height to eat tuna sandwiches.
>>
>>946413

If they are that far apart so it matters, you have other problems.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.