[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the advantages of leaving the thermostat on auto or on fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: thermostat_11894428.jpg (130 KB, 755x527) Image search: [Google]
thermostat_11894428.jpg
130 KB, 755x527
What are the advantages of leaving the thermostat on auto or on fan
>>
>>943865
auto turns the fan on when the heater is heating the house
fan just leaves it on all the time
>>
>>943865
I leave the fan on because it filters the air in the house. We get terrible inversions here so I keep HEPA filters in the furnace.
>>
>>943869
So does it run while the heater is running and when it's not?
>>
>>943898
It runs continuously.
All this is only applicable if you have a forced air system. Forced water systems don't even have the wires for fans.
>>
Leaving it on the fan setting will keep the fan running 24/7. This will lead to a higher electric bill, but can often solve any issues with unevenly heated or cooled spaces.

Especially if your basement is freezing and your upstairs is boiling
>>
>>943865
>the only disadvantage to leaving fan on
happens when ducts are leaky
the fan will work against the AC/heater
>>
I just moved into a new apartment, and it's my first time using a thermostat...sorry for being poor and retarded...

Anyway, the switch has 4 settings: cool, off, heat, and aux. heat. I researched aux. heat, and I guess I won't use that. But it's chilly here, so I switch it to normal heat, but the display usually comes up as aux. heat, and blows a mix of warm and cool air. Any ideas?
>>
>>944091
>Any ideas?
Call your landlord and ask him.
>>
>>944091

post picture of thermostat
>>
Auto runs the fan only when the AC/heater is going. This blows air out of the vents until the desired temperature is reached.

On fan makes the fan stay on and cycles the air even after the AC/heater has reached the desired temperature.

No house is set up perfect so the advantage to on fan is it helps all rooms / levels of the house to maintain the same temperature since air is constantly moving around.

The disadvantages of on fan is it runs up your electric bill and it makes the house a bit humid.
>>
File: 31x+VDAwQiL._SL1500_.jpg (6 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
31x+VDAwQiL._SL1500_.jpg
6 KB, 500x353
>>944502
>>
>>944091
are you in Alaska? If the outdoor ambient temp is too low and the Heat pump cannot reach your desired temp the aux heat will run to satisfy said temp
>>
>>944585
http://www.mcgarryandmadsen.com/inspection/Blog/Entries/2013/9/4_What_does_%22AUX_HEAT%22_and_%22EM_HEAT%22_on_my_thermostat_mean.html
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.