[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wood stoves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: chimney.jpg (30 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
chimney.jpg
30 KB, 480x270
Any wood stove experts in here? My father and i installed one in our home about a month ago. Yesterday i got up on the roof and noticed a buildup of creosote beginning to form. Any idea what could be causing this? Here is a video of the smoke coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNL0XmCiT90
>>
what kind of wood are you burning?
>>
>>943710
Started out bruning wet red oak, but now dead dead dead ash and white oak. The pic was from white oak.
>>
Make sure to use dry wood and give enough oxegyn to completley combust the wood.
>>
>>943729
This.

Wet wood=burn down the house/kill everyone with CO.

Y'all have a CO monitor, right?

Also, for shits and giggles, read over these
http://www.woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html
http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-basics-on-how-to-install-a-wood-burning-stove.147798/
For info on chimneys which should give you some ideas on how to determine how well yours is performing/how to troubleshoot problems.
>>
>>943736
2 of them. one in the loving room where the stove is, and another back in our bedroom.
>>
>>943767
Good man.
>>
File: 71AJJITKiFL._SY355_.jpg (23 KB, 347x355) Image search: [Google]
71AJJITKiFL._SY355_.jpg
23 KB, 347x355
>>
>>943771
>loving room.

Heh heh
>>
>>943706
Wood needs to burn at... I think 350F for creosote buildup to be minimized. That's your minimum, you're going to have creosote no matter what you do (and anyone who tells you otherwise is a dangerous cocksucker) but you should get by with only sweeping your chimney once a year. For safety I sweep mine twice, once during summer and once after the new year.
>>
Burn only hardwoods.
Avoid burning anything too wet if possible.
>>
Buy a stove pipe thermometer, it mounts on the pipe a foot and a half above the stove and helps you maintain a temperature that will reduce creasote build up. Only burn dry seasoned wood.
>>
>>943925
I have one of these, only i have it about 6" above the stove. Even right there i can only get it to about halfway through the green.
>>
My chimney set on fire last week had to climb on the roof to put it out.
>>
>>944274
Chimneys that aren't swept catch on fire, you will probably need to increase the rate you sweep unless you had something like a wild fire that just got way too hot or something.
>>
>>944329
Didn't sweep it all year. I know I should have but I completely forgot. there was a lot of creosote in the fireplace after I swept it. I had to climb onto my roof in the rain to put the fucking thing out.
>>
File: Upside_Down_Fire.png (605 KB, 708x448) Image search: [Google]
Upside_Down_Fire.png
605 KB, 708x448
Start your fire like pic related. Google "upside down fire". It burns with higher efficiency and less residue.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.