[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battery Pack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_20160208_173951.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_173951.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey guys. So a few months back I bought a cheap USB battery which claims to be holding 2200 mah which is total bullshit cause it only charges my phone about 30% and only if I let it idle. Today I decided to open the shit and see what kind of battery is in there. To my surprise it was a laptop battery cell. No inscriptions on it though. Then I thought why don't I replace it with a cell from my old laptops battery. The cells look exactly alike except there is some information on these ones (lgcas31865 i3011008413 ij281a1s3). Anyway the cells didn't have any juice in them but they had .something voltage. I hooked one to the shit battery pack circuitry and I restored its voltage (3.6-3.7) and when I measured amps the multimeter went through the roof (old ass tool with needle pointer and DC 500 mah max). Then I thought why not make a mega battery pack. I hooked all 6 of them in parallel and let it charge for a few hours. Everything worked great and I could charge my phone completely (about 1200 mah from 50% to 100%) and it was still going. It was charging even if I was using my phone so thats great. Now my question is how safe is this thing? Can I let it charge overnight and still wake up? Is there a risk for the batteries to explode in my pocket or backpack? The laptop battery: pa3534u-1brs and it was pretty done when I stopped using that laptop. They haven't been charged for years.
>>
>>943694
>when I measured amps the multimeter went through the roof

Never do this. Your multimeter measures current by checking the voltage drop across a resistor of a few milliohms. Putting the probes directly across your battery is almost the same as shorting it which can cause overheating and explosions.

> Is there a risk for the batteries to explode in my pocket or backpack?

The LiPo and LiIon batteries used by hobbyists often have built in overcurrent protection to stop meltdowns, but it doesn't sound like yours do. Without protection power wires just lightly brushing against each other can weld themselves together. I had some batteries glow white hot and burn through my workbench before I had time to grab safety goggles and wire cutters. I was planning on putting those batteries right next to my skull in an LED helmet.
>>
if you mess you LiPos, you can get a fireball in your pocket. just disassemble everything and throw it away, then thank Zeus you're still alive.
>>
So if those 2 solder points from pos ans neg wires from picture were to touch each other everything will go to shit?
>>
>>943737
Do you guys think I should change my Nexus 5's LiPo battery with a LiIon one even though it's a Chinese knock off ? Also on my nexus' battery its inscriptioned LiPo LiIon. Which one the hell is it?
>>
li-po and li-ion are exactly the same thing.
>>
>>943756
How?
>>
>>943769

wikipedia: "These cells are sometimes designated as "LiPo"; however, from a technological point of view, they are the same as the ones marketed simply as "Li-ion", since the underlying electrochemistry is the same.[7]"
>>
>>943730
I actually said Jesus fucking Christ out loud.
I've never seen the damn things blow up before.

also this might be my last post on 4shit. Ive "selected all street signs" 10 fucking times.

fuck you moot, for making this mess
fuck you gook, for not cleaning it up and making it worse by adding flash ads on archived threads. that crash flash player like clockwork fucking up everything from loading times to making captcha simply not work.

I move for another exodus

>mfw jewt was a better admin that gook
>>
>>943756
not to be confused with life-po or li-po4
totally different
>>
>>943694
Safety mainly depends on how good(stable,safe) your charger is
a good charger will not overcharge / overheat the cells

post a closeup of the chip on the circuitboard so i can read the number
>>
>>943724
Not OP, but using multimeters on batteries is dangerous? I've used them on alkaline batteries a lot, is it just a Li-ion/LiPo thing?
>>
>>943899
If you accidentally short a Li-ion or Li-Po, eve for a short time, it can cause a run away reaction and burst into flames.
>>
>>943899
Measuring battery voltage is fine, but when you have a multimeter set to measure current there's only a few milliohms of resistance between the probes. You measure current by putting the probes in series with the battery and a load. Putting current probes directly across a battery is almost the same as shorting the battery with a regular piece of wire, and that can make a LiPo battery fail catastrophically.
>>
Op, batteries are fun and I love them, but you have to respect how dangerous they are and that if you don't know what you're doing you could fuck your laptop bag, house, or life up horribly.
Never, EVER leave a diy thing like this charging overnight.
NEVER, FUCKING NEVER GOD DAMMM EVER CHARGE MORE THAN ONE CELL, ONE BATTERY, OFF THE SAME CHIP.
One battery exploding is bad? Know what's worse? SIX OF THE FUCKING THINGS EXPLODING.
If ONE, just fucking ONE of them is a bit off the others and you charge them all together you've increased your change of them all going up by about 10x.
You need a charger circuit per cell.
I hope to god that picture's not yours.
>>
>>943742
Li-pol is just flattened Li-ion.
Wait, fuck.
No, stop fucking around, you don't know enough.
Go watch all of bigclivedotcom's videos on power banks, then all his other videos, then all the EEV blog videos, then tones of other videos and projects and papers on power banks, then, THEN you can do this shit yourself.
>>
>>943849
A good charger can't do fucking shit when you connect 6 cells to one pin.
>>943899
A multi meter measuring amps is a dead short.
It essentially just tests how much current is flowing through. Imagine both multimeter leads, instead of plugging into the meter, just touching.
>>
File: IMG_20160209_095406.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_095406.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here's the circuitry. Idk man the batteries aren't heating up at all and what's wrong with 6 batteries if they are in parallel?
>>
File: IMG_20160209_095548.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_095548.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Also here are the batteries. I had to solder directly in them because the solder wouldn't stick to the piece of metal that was welded on them. Can I make this safer? I really wanna use it.
>>
>>943899
Using the voltmeter function is safe but using the ammeter function is very dangerous unless you place it in series with a load to limit the current flow (which is really the only way you'll learn anything useful from the ammeter function anyways).
>>943926
>Never, EVER leave a diy thing like this charging overnight.
Agreed
>You need a charger circuit per cell.
Not if they're in parallel.
Chill out, dude.
>>
>>943977
>resolder pls.
youll need a hotter iron
>>
>>943981
I was trying with 450°C. That's the max on my soldering iron
>>
>>943926
So are you saying that I should charge them individually until they are full or at the same level and then pack them up? Why can't i let this thing charge fully so what if one battery is a little bit charged? Isn't this thing gonna calibrate itself?
>>
>>943989
pardon me, higher wattage 35W min 45W preffered.
also be sure to make good thermal contact at the joint == the key to soldering large wire/connectors
>>
>>943975
checkthis
datasheet4u.com/download_new.php?id=938254

as long as your battery is between 2.2 and 4.4 you can use as many cells as necesary.

string them all together in parallel and charge them all together.

i would use a 500mA usb charger.
2A or more might overheat the cells
>>
>>944002
I charged them with 2A yesterday and they didn't heat up at all
>>
File: $_57.jpg (26 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
26 KB, 800x800
>>943994
See this shit?
They're $1 each.
Buy one for each cell.
>>943979
>>You need a charger circuit per cell.
Nigga I ain't taking risks for $1 per cell.
>>
>>944006
Nigga how is this a mega battery pack if I have to charge and use each cell individually?
>>
>>944008
Shieet nuigga you one scarey motherfucker
Livn on the edge.
>>
>>944049
Kek
>>
File: IMG_20160209_152728.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_152728.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Okay so this thing has been charging for a while now. Tried it with 2A chargher and 1A, regardless the chip is getting pretty hot.
>>
>>944065
Drown it in thermal paste and slap a heatsink on it
>>
>>944068
Nigga
>>
>>943994
Go look at multicell hobby chargers (the ones for stuff like drone batteries) the cheap good ones are around $80. What these things do differently is instead of monitoring total voltage, they monitor voltage of individual cells, so if you start off with one battery that's significantly differently charged than the others, it'll not throw off the charge of another...say you hook up two batteries and one has a charge of 9V and the other has a charge of 3V...instead of seeing that as a total charge of somewhere in between those two numbers (thus overcharging the 9V one and under charging the 3V) it sees the 9V as 9V and 3V as 3V so it cuts off the charge to the 9V once it hits whatever voltage total it's supposed to have, and continues charging the 3V until it gets to whatever total it's supposed to have. (numbers pulled out of ass for illustrative purposes)
>>
>>944077
Duly noted
>>
File: 1341205-1.jpg (38 KB, 960x520) Image search: [Google]
1341205-1.jpg
38 KB, 960x520
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with what OP does. Cells connected in parallel will just look like one bigger cell to any circuits attached. If a circuit works with one cell, it will also work with n cells in parallel. Before connecting cells in parallel however, it should be made sure that each of them is in good working order, and they are within 0.1V difference to each other. Old laptop cells are perfectly fine if tested. I salvaged around 50 old cells so far, but for the 50 good ones, I also had a couple duds. Some would begin to charge fine, but then get hot when they reached a specific voltage. So test dubious cells with a cooking pot over them for safet reasons.
I personally use this power bank to my satisfaction:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1341208-qidian-1a-1-5a-2a-4a-6-18650-mobile-power-bank

A single chip like OPs will work fine as well, but only connect known good cells.
>>
>>944131
Well I checked the cells before this but they were almost dead. I connected one to the circuit trying to see if I can restore them and it regained its voltage but I didn't do the same with the other five. They have been charging for half a day now and none is heating up at all.
>>
>>944131
Holy shit I can put my laptop cells in there? That's way more useful than a hobbyst charger or whatever the anon above said.
>>
>>943842
Yeah man, those little fuckers are insane.
>>
File: 1450754614933-P-3647530.jpg (167 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450754614933-P-3647530.jpg
167 KB, 1000x1000
>>944176
"Fundamentally" guy here again. Good to read none of your cells blew up so far. The only other issue is that some of the cells might have so little usable capacity left that they are essentially worthless. But you can only determine by testing them individually. The "Liitokala Lii - 300" charger would be good for this, pic related.
>>944184
No problem, as long as they are know good with a usable capacity left as described above. By putting all cells in parallel, it spares you the grief ob "balance charging" as the RC hobby charger guy said.
I own around 1000$ worth of chargers (Junsi iChargers mostly), and did not pay for a single one as I get them for testing and ironing out bugs. So believe me when I say that paralleling cells ins the way to go for your application.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160211-232949.png (115 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160211-232949.png
115 KB, 1080x1920
Allright guys this seems to be working quite well. I let it charge for 7 hours first day then second day I let it 3 hours. So with about 10 hours of charging at 2A I have some results. I have a Nexus 5 with 2300 mah battery.
>>
>>945184
The status is while charging
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.