[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CNC newfag here, any advice DIY?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Gcode.jpg (54 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Gcode.jpg
54 KB, 250x250
Just bought a 4x8' CNC router,
Right now Im trying to outfit a shop, we have about 5k left in our budget and want to set ourselves up with what we need.

Basic questions are

1, what spec PC is required for operating the machine, (machine is industrial cnc, Industrial being the brand name) am looking to be able to make quick edits on files at the machine.

2, what are the basic bits necessary to hit most materials, would be willing to spend about $1000 for an assortment, primarily cutting sheet good, ply, acrylics and some hardwoods.

3, what specs should I look for in a PC tower for the 3D modeling/CAM/CAD programs ill be running? I have fusion 360, corell, and a couple others.

4, what software is optimal, and has good usability for moving a design from CAM to CAD and generating a cutpath/gcode? I can get almost any software for free (got an industry hook up)

Im trying to
>>
This is /diy/, not /we'reashittycompanytoocheaptohireacncprofessional/
>>
If you're looking to run CAD at the CNC I'd look for a workstation with an I7 or xeon and hardware to suit.

Vcarve
>>
1, what spec PC is required for operating the machine, (machine is industrial cnc, Industrial being the brand name) am looking to be able to make quick edits on files at the machine.
>Ask whoever supplied the machine/the manufacturer, how the fuck are we supposed to know

2, what are the basic bits necessary to hit most materials, would be willing to spend about $1000 for an assortment, primarily cutting sheet good, ply, acrylics and some hardwoods.
>If you're just cutting wood and plastic, HSS is fine for you.

3, what specs should I look for in a PC tower for the 3D modeling/CAM/CAD programs ill be running? I have fusion 360, corell, and a couple others.
> Again, ask the supplier. That is like asking "what spec pc should I get to play vidya"

4, what software is optimal, and has good usability for moving a design from CAM to CAD and generating a cutpath/gcode? I can get almost any software for free (got an industry hook up)
>We use delcam, you can get packages for 2, 2.5 and 3d. We use it for fanuc and mazak 3d models cutting up to 6 axes though, not g-code. Otherwise, ask your contact what the recommend.

I'm having a shower, but will answer more questions after if you have them
>>
>>943653
Way to go buddy, shitting on someone without getting the basic low down on the situation.

Let me be clear everybody.
Im 23, just secured a business loan of about 25k, I am starting a business focusing on industrial design and custom fabrication.

My background is in carpentry, structural and finish, Metal working/welding/fabrication and some composites.
Now I am trying to learn to apply those into a new industry with automated processes, so I can reach a higher level of precision.

I have another part time job working for a guy who build Digital fab labs for schools, so I know how to set up these machines and make 2.5D basic cuts, but am still learning about what is preferable tech. We just create setups that are easy to interact with for highschool kids. i.e. correll draw and sketchup....

Which is why I am asking for advice.....

SO....... eat a dick /imsoedgythatidontneedtobehelpfuljustpassjudgement/
>>
>>943657

>>3, what specs should I look for in a PC tower for the 3D modeling/CAM/CAD programs ill be running? I have fusion 360, corell, and a couple others.
> Again, ask the supplier. That is like asking "what spec pc should I get to play vidya"

Currently Im using a thinkpad, but am just curious what I should be looking for for a workhorse machine for these programs.

Things like *youll need dedicated ram on your GPU* or I7 all day* that kind of thing,

This is for design not machine operation.
>>
>>943657
Also, thank you
>>
>>943657
Will HSS bits handle hardwoods?
>>
>>943670
I've never cut wood, but i'd be very surprised if they didn't. Hardwood is still softer than any steel. If they don't work, you know you'll need to upgrade to carbide, but your tooling costs will increase at least 10 fold. HSS is worth a try.

As for the design, I haven't done any since I was at university, but I think you will need a fairly strong pc. Definetly need something a lot better than cnc operation, you only need the bare basics shit for that. Definetly need a dedicated graphics card and a high level i5, if not i7. I know I said it before, but the supplier of the software should be able to guide you here - it might not be on their website and require a phonecall any decent company should be able to at least guide you.

Also good on you for your business venture. Good luck with it.
>>
File: HSM.png (101 KB, 1916x900) Image search: [Google]
HSM.png
101 KB, 1916x900
>>943649
I can't give much info because all the CNC machines I work with are likely at a larger scale and operate differently than yours. I can provide some input though,

>1, what spec PC is required for operating the machine, (machine is industrial cnc, Industrial being the brand name) am looking to be able to make quick edits on files at the machine.
Likely very minor, I don't know how your interface but our 25 ton CNC Punch Press, CNC Plasma Cutter, and 2.5 Axis CNC Mill run on Windows 95, XP, and DOS respectively

>3, what specs should I look for in a PC tower for the 3D modeling/CAM/CAD programs ill be running? I have fusion 360, corell, and a couple others.
A workstation is the term for computers you're looking for. The best bang for your buck will likely be getting a refurbished Dell Precision, as you can get pretty beefy ones with Quattro cards for ~$500.

>4, what software is optimal, and has good usability for moving a design from CAM to CAD and generating a cutpath/gcode? I can get almost any software for free (got an industry hook up)
If you're designing in Inventor I highly recommend Inventor HSM, as the 2.5 milling software is free and it integrates right into Inventor, so it's a fucking breeze to work with
Pic related, some of the shit we've been machining out of aluminum
>>
>>943661
fuck that dude.
i don't know much about cnc, but good luck to you anon.
>>
>>943670
Absolutely.

With woodworking, your choice in metals basically affects
>how long a blade holds its edge
which in turn determines
>how often you have to sharpen it
and
>how much of a bitch it is to sharpen

Geometry plays a role as well, but in general, the harder the metal, the longer it holds its edge and the more annoying it is to sharpen. Softer metal loses its edge faster, but is far easier to sharpen.
>>
has anyone come across problems with any particular cpu brand with using cad/cam programs? Intel vs AMD?
>>
>>943717
Speaking from experience, Solidworks and Mastercam will run on literally anything unless you're doing massive assemblies or trying to toolpath really complex surfaces.
>>
>>943661
Damn dude I would have taken a cnc class before you got that loan and shit.

Aren't most businesses loans like 100k minimum for a start up?
>>
>>943734
Nah, its something I have been wanting to do for a while, Its a 10year with ridiculously low interest.

I have the modeling skills, im just trying to get good at applying them. 2.5 D all day is fine, Iv just never actually built a system like this and am trying to meet beef, price and usability.
>>
>>943734
most of this is because Im indecisive on purchases and would rather pick my brain now instead of buying shit and being frustrated with it later the shop.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>what spec PC is required for operating the machine

See pic related.
>>
File: 1455037171561.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1455037171561.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>944127
rage
>>
>>944127
>>944130
>bother rotating snapshit that's over 1 MB
>fuck resizing, IMMA MAKE IT LARGER
>>
>>943717
Yeah intel and amd are shit for these things use an ARM cpu
>>
>>944166
>having a slow enough connection to cry about 1 1/2 mb

jesus christ lol
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.