[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Power Supply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Hey guys I am building my own raspberry pi portable for emulation and need help with power supply.

I have pic related as my PSU and it gives me approx 2 hours of run time. I want to increase the capacity of the battery so I am buying another one and am going to strip the second battery from the charging circuit and hook it up in parallel with the first battery.
My question is, is it safe to do so and would it work? Will there be any issues with the charging circuit or the way its going to function?
Thanks
>>
>>943283
it might work, but cells have to be balanced to charge correctly. You probably want a 2-3 cell balanced pack. There are also cheapo chinese 10Ah supplies for cheap, which are also a good deal.
>>
>>943287
Hmm okay, what do you mean by 2 - 3 cell balanced pack? I don't know a lot about electronics.
>>
>>943289
see that 18650 (the battery there)? they store a lot of energy but that means that while you can't say drop a battery and it will combust, overcharging (causing a breakdown of the lion barrier) is a real risk.

If two cells aren't balanced, one could say get 2 A while the other got .1 A, and if the max charge of that cell was 1.5 A, then you'd have a problem.

Honestly lion battery packs are so cheap you can get a good one from amazon for really cheap rather than building one yourself because of the economies of scale.
>>
>>943283
I bought one of these when it was on sale. powers the pi nicely for a few hours, haven't tried any tests to see what it can really handle
http://www.amazon.com/Aibocn-5000mAh-Portable-Smartphones-Black/dp/B00QSWKNRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454953891&sr=1-1&keywords=aibocn+5000mah+external+battery+power+bank
>>
>>943287
Op said he's going to wire them parallel. No need to balance two cell in parallel. There balanced by being tied together. ..
>>
>>943564
Wouldn't that fry the pi? What's the output specs?
>>
>>944593
No its output is through USB and its meant for charging phone. Usually there is two output USB slots one is usually 2.1A and the other is 1A. perfectly safe for Pi
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.