[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need advice on buying a tool. A tool that no one likes to use.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
I need advice on buying a tool. A tool that no one likes to use. I need a new vacuum cleaner.

I live in a house with a Labrador Retriever, low pile carpeting, wood floors and a lot of foot traffic. I need a vacuum cleaner that can pick up shit on bare floors and pull out dog hair that in embedded in carpet. This is the current vacuum I have and its brush is useless so it just rolls right over the dog hair. Any recommendations?
>>
File: dyson_dc37_hoovers.jpg (99 KB, 650x352) Image search: [Google]
dyson_dc37_hoovers.jpg
99 KB, 650x352
>>
I picked up a shark navigator a year or two ago and I'm pretty impressed with it. I only have 3 rooms with carpet and it works amazingly on those but it's even better on my hardwood floors. I've recently used the attachments for the first time on my vehicles and they're pretty handy for tight spots.

Only bad thing I have to say about it is hair got caught in the roller once and I had to clean that out. But that happens with all vacuums that I've had and it took less than 5 minutes. I have a cat and a dog btw.
>>
Uhh, instead of using a vaccuum, save money & go to Dollarama & but duct tape & use tape on ur carpet takes alot more out then a vaccuum & it doesnt wreck ur carpet nor does it leave messy patterns its a great diy lmao
>>
>>943066
Since when is /diy/ vacuum advice? Fuck off.
>>
File: SEB-UVC-FELIXPETS_ECO-BK_2.jpg (274 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
SEB-UVC-FELIXPETS_ECO-BK_2.jpg
274 KB, 1500x1500
SEBO Felix "Pet" vacuum, a model made for the explicit purpose of pet hair and dander.

I like SEBO because it is made 100% in Germany.

They are not cheap, but a SEBO picks up what a Dyson leaves behind
>>
Don't by a Dyson. Dyson is the apple of vacuums. If you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a vacuum, get a good one like the guy above me said. Google will be your friend. You can get a good 150 vac that outperforms a shitty 300 dollar one.
>>
I use a Dyson Cinetic animal canister vac. It does a very good job of picking up animal hair. The roller just picks up more stuff and the suction is noticeably better than typical vacuums.
>>
>>943290
dyson confirmed for sucking..
>>
>>943066
I read this a while back.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

I got a Miele. It's the best.
>>
File: festool.jpg (156 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
festool.jpg
156 KB, 1000x1000
I bought the Festool midi tool extractor awhile back because it was going nearly 150 yoyos cheaper than normal. I've had other extractors before this and while they all did well this was going for such a sweet deal that I made the spontaneous purchase. As far as I can tell, I think they are the best. Hands down.

However with that said I don't know if I can recommended paying the usual retail price for it as 1) You'll be using it for domestic stuff mostly I assume.
2)Like most Festool stuff, they're really good but are waaay over priced. So too are the accessories.
I love the extractor but the continued price of bags and such is something I forgot to consider when I bought it so I tend to empty and reuse bags rather than immediately throw them out.

> Excellent extractor. Possibly the best.
>Still kind of overpriced for the quality, expensive bags and you'll have to buy all the attachments for vacuuming separately.

Consider it if it's on a really good sale.
>>
Anyone have any leads for getting a shopvac that isn't a total POS? I find ones with the cloth filter clog continuously during normal use.
Anyone ever try a shopvac cyclone separator?
>>
Shark rotator.

It's quite, strong and designed to separate the dirt before it hits the filter. Brilliant.
>>
>>943519
I have a plain ol' Craftsman $50 shop vac and a DIY cyclone filter I bought from a mate that makes them on the side for beer money. Without the filter the Craftsman is okay at debris pickup but the filter gets plugged. With the cyclone action I lose some suction but the filter inside the vac remains clean for much longer. So, cleaning your car, skip the cyclone. Cleaning up sawdust in your shop, use the cyclone.
>>
>>943066
We bought a Kirby G3, weighs like 24lb, from probably the mid to late 90s after our cheap one shitted out.
It's quite powerful.
The problem with these is having to take the front off to add attachments, and getting the seperate hose, etc. it's the reason I rarely even use the hose. Maybe the newer generations are better.
>>
>>943594
I meant to write G5, not G3, it's the purple one.
>>
>>943594
The problem with Kirby is you can literally buy a functioning, decent condition car for what they charge for those fuckers.
>>
>>943599
Maybe a new one. It was used.
>>
>>943455
Can confirm, I have a fifteen year old miele cat and dog vacuum. It's fantastic... Not working currently because the fucking hot water cylinder leaked on it tho
>>
>>943066
>A tool that no one likes to use.
>Not loving vacuuming
Fuck wrong with you?
>>
>>943066
Vacuum Cleaners and Sewing Machines are kind of my guilty pleasure
They are thrown away as trash, in many cases working perfectly, and are useful. Also cheap and easy to fix up and rebuild most of them.

The two nicest ones I have are an Oreck XL Commercial, and I have a Riccar Contempo.
>>
Find a vacuum rebuilder shop in your local area and get something a little more old school that'll probably last longer than the garbage that Walmart sells these days.
>>
>>943066
Any version of a bagged Oreck should suit you fine.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.