[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I built the smallest water-cooled gaming PC case
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: qnevaWH.jpg (64 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
qnevaWH.jpg
64 KB, 720x540
I have been working on my own SFF case design for nearly a year, and this is the first prototype. It fits a 240mm AIO cooler, full-size GPU, SFX PSU, ITX motherboard, and 2 hard drives all in about 10L of space.
>>
File: qBsJvbK.jpg (40 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
qBsJvbK.jpg
40 KB, 720x540
>>
File: yg6ct7R.jpg (44 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
yg6ct7R.jpg
44 KB, 540x720
>>
Looks really cute. How're the temps on it?
>>
>>941663
Should stick a laptop screen on it and bolt a keyboard that flips out from the under side...
>>
>>941669
It turns out great! I did a lot of tests for CPU & GPU. For the CPU tests, it produces temperature that is about 8 degrees hotter than the open air setup. For the GPU tests,it produces max temperature that is about 5 degrees hotter than the open air setup.
>>
File: ML08_11-5-2015.jpg (656 KB, 1160x1008) Image search: [Google]
ML08_11-5-2015.jpg
656 KB, 1160x1008
>>941663
why double up on gpu fans? Isn't this more noisy with little difference in terms of air flow?

>>941710
this carries little meaning. what tests did you run, and what were the actual idle and max temperatures? also include room air temp.
>>
Man, while I like your design and it'll probably work well, the pretension you present yourself with is palpable.

"Able to hold 4 different configurations, including a 240mm AIO water cooler, a full-size GPU, and large 3.5" hard drives, it emerged as one of the most versatile "flat" case designs ever conceived."

At 10 litres, it's no where near the world's smallest watercooling cases. I'm sure you would've come across them during your research, but there are dozens of case designs out there that incorporate watercooling and are 10 litres or smaller with the same components.

More so, most of them are freely available in CAD files so you can take them to anywhere that cuts acrylic and have the case built for you for cheap, far cheaper than anything you'll be able to offer when you start manufacturing.

Additionally the only watercooling according to your specifications is on the CPU, a 95-140 watt part before you overclock, while the GPU, a 200-375 watt part sits with no option.
>>
>>941732

What you mistake for versaility is just a preconfigured case that suit your own specifications. The internal configurations you list are "55m air coooler, 120mm AIO or 240mm AIO". Hardly amazing.

While I applaud you for designing your own cool case, your criticism of the industry is awful. You comment on how you yourself will try and help end the stagnation of the PC Case industry? There are dozens of new designs coming out, modifications and tweaks to existing ones and an amazing indie and small dev market for these things.

There's a reason the NCASE M1 is a hugely popular and fantastic case, and it's not because they were hell bent on making the flattest case that still incorporates a 240 AIO, they were trying to make efficient use of space for the configurations of machines that people actually want to build.
>>
>>941733

A cursory glance suggests your case will suffer from the same problem all wall mounted cases do, and that vibrations and a lack of sound dampening will make it far louder than other cases of similar design. Your lack of actual tangible temperatures, noise measurements and other such details in each of your posts suggests you know this and will keep the information to yourself until your sales are made.

Overall great effort and the design looks good if you want EXACTLY what you're advertising: A flat SFF case with 1 GPU, 1 SSD, 2 3.5 inch hard drives and a small or medium AIO cooler. If you want anything else or to make any other slight changes, you'd be best going with a few bits of acrylic.
>>
>>941735

Also if you're not interested in watercool and still want a tiny gaming case on the cheap, Mono gives out his design to anyone who PM's him.

http://community.coolermaster.com/index.php/topic/12436-completed-page-5-monocase-high-end-gaming-pc-in-the-size-of-a-popular-game-console/

Couple of nuts and screws, 1 sheet of acrylic with off cuts and you've got an amazing little case. Pair the CPU with the zalman cnps8900 if you want amazing performance and overclock headroom.
>>
>>941666
the 90's called, they want their desktop setup back
>>
HMM why did zou put 2 blue fans above GPU that already has 2 fans. I would just put dust filter there.
>>
>>941780
It's the ideal setup...
You raise the screen up to a proper hight and don't have to draw your cables that far.
>>
>>941822
it was, when screens where as deep as computercases
now you can have a much smaller desk and still have plenty of room, because the screen is so thin.

this setup cancels out the positives of having a slim screen completely.
>>
>>941663
your fans have insufficient clearance. you would have been better off with 40x40 server fans and a 1u cpu heatsink.
>>
>>941825
What does the depth of the monitor have to do with at what height it stands?
>>
pardon my ignorance but how does the gpu connect to the motherboard?
>>
>>942191
Google "PCIE extender" or "raiser". There are cheap ones but they're quite prone to failure.
>>
>>941669

Here is a detailed temperature test I did on the first prototype:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041886278&postcount=270

It was done on an overclocked i5 4690k and a R9 390 (Gigabyte).
>>
>>941724

>>
>>941732

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should specify that what I meant was the smallest "production" case, so something that is mass produced and more end-user friendly, similar to what companies like Silverstone offers. Not everyone is willing to cut acrylic and make their own case, and those who are are not my intended audience.
>>
>>941733

Could you link a case that some of the industry players (Silverstone, Lian-Li, etc.) have produced or announced that has greater versatility while being equal or smaller in size? Perhaps I missed something in my research, in which case I would happily retract my statement.
>>
>>941735

Let's not be so quick to accuse people of withholding information. I was traveling and could not respond to this thread as quickly as I'd like.

Here is a detailed temperature test I did on the first prototype. It is available publicly for all to see, and has been that way for months:

>>
>>942203

Correct, a lot of the cheap and unshielded ones I tested are pretty much unusable. This case will be bundled with a shielded PCIe riser cable from LiHeat, who is a manufacturer with good reputation.
>>
>>941843

It was done on an overclocked i5 4690k and a R9 390 (Gigabyte). Regardless of the clearance, I think the thermals are alright.
>>
>>941792

Basically, the reason is that I found it helped with cooling. Here is a detailed temperature test I did on the first prototype:

>>
>>941736

That's a pretty cool project, bookmarked! I wish it used a SFX PSU instead of a FlexATX PSU though. Currently, the FlexATX PSUs available on the market tend to be loud not as reliable as I'd like.
>>
>>941710
90 degrees on CPU and GPU is anything but good, they sue sem pie
>>
>>942407
fractal design node 202
>>
>>941665
Might look cool as a rackmount
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.