[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ I recently bought a DC inverter for a battery box I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: box.jpg (935 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
box.jpg
935 KB, 2592x1944
Hi /diy/

I recently bought a DC inverter for a battery box I put together, and I want to use it to power my projector; However, when I have it plugged in, the power input on the projector makes a nasty buzzing sound, so I've cut the juice to it so I don't damage it.

I'm thinking it's under amperage. Is there any way to get such a setup working?
>>
>>941334
First off you're using the wrong kind of battery. You need a deep cycle rv battery. Draining a regular car battery will ruin it.

Next you need to figure out how much power your projector uses and how much power your inverter produces.
>>
Define buzzing sound?
Depending on the type of inverter this may be normal.
Could you check what sort of output signal the Inverter is supposed to give out? If it's Modified Sine Wave, then you can expect the buzzing sound.
>>
>>941342
This.

Most inverters put out a modified sine wave, which is ok for some things, and not so great for others.

You would think though that the projector would have a power supply circuit that converts the ac back to DC and has some filtering on it. My best guess is that the projector has a step down transformer that is chattering because of the not so smooth sine wave out of the inverter, in which case it shouldn't be too harmful.
>>
>>941334
>under amperage
under current
>>
>>941350
What the hell is this new autism over amerage versus current?
>>
File: stats.jpg (306 KB, 1459x768) Image search: [Google]
stats.jpg
306 KB, 1459x768
>>941339
I thought this one was deep cycle, since I assumed that was what most marine batteries were, but looking back at it I guess wal-mart doesn't sell deep cycle ones.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-24MS-6-Marine-Battery/16782694

>>941342
Sounds like in the vocaroo
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1M4hVHNl5bO
It's a 400W inverter; the stats on it and my projector are pic related.

While I was recording the projector seemed to do it's "startup" fine, but I'm uncertain if I want to actually fire on the lamp.
>>
>>941357
It's a modified Sine inverter.
That sounds perfectly normal.

You got no problems there, fire it up.
>>
>>941361
Sweet

Unfortunately, upon doing so, it seems the 10amp fuse in the battery popped. The projector and inverter seem fine though.
>>
>>941364
I would get a cheap load reactor if you want to run that for a long time. That modified sine wave shit can make the power supply in your projector overheat. We had to install reactors for the inverters on all my shop trucks as the equipment we used was burning up.
>>
>>941364
Oh, well that sucks.

Well, I guess it does draw quite a bit of current on the 12V side.
>>
File: clamps.jpg (234 KB, 729x972) Image search: [Google]
clamps.jpg
234 KB, 729x972
>>941367
>>941368
Well, it's nice to know my project's kind of where I want it

The inverter does have the option of clamping directly to the battery to draw power, but I figured I'd pop a 15A in the slot to see if it draws a bit better.
>>
>>941364
A 260W projector will pull at least 11A from a 24V battery, without taking into account the losses in the inverter.
>>
>>941369
>The inverter does have the option of clamping directly to the battery to draw power,

- how in hell is it connected at the moment? If you drawing anything 150w+, should be direct connected. JFI, I wouldnt connect anything to an inverter that nears the (claimed..) rated total, better a bigger (rated) inverter, double needed draw (at least).. nor would I connect a projector (nor laptop, etc.) to an inverter at all either, but, its your equipment. And cash.
>>
>>941377
This and this
>>941367
Automation Direct sells little single phase reactors for their VFD's that are pretty cheap and they work great for shit like this. Don't use something with a controlled power supply (your projector) on an inverter without some filtering - but know that you need to upsize everything upstream because of it
>>
>>941342
a buzzing sound from the projectors power is not a good sign. Projectors usually cost a fair amount.. I wouldn't be powering it off of unfiltered electric.
also I think most inverters put out a modified sine wave as far as I know. I'm sure high end ones will put off a sine wave, but judging from the op pic I doubt hes got a high end one.

I'm under the impression that modified sine and square waves will wreck shit over time if the device is even slightly sensitive to shitty electric.
>>
no one is concerned at the fact hes throwing 24V into a inverter that only accepts up to 12V input?
>>
>>941791
>nope.jpg
- be interested how he was getting 24v outta 12v batery, tho. Turn your head upside down, and look underneath the '625' bit of the label. Thats right next to the '24MS' bit, BTW . How you could eva get the idea this is a 24v battery? I dunno. In Fact, every 12v battery should have '24' as the start of its model name, unless they actually are 24v - in which case, should start '6MS', etc.
>>
>>941801
oops my bad, i read this post >>941370 which was not by me saying it was 24V. yes you are right its 12V, carry on
>>
>>941671
Well I mean, I'm not defending the generic piece of shit Modified Sine inverter, but we've been running pretty much the entire house on one for a good while.

It's really not as bad as it seems, but things do heat up a bit more and there's the buzzing sound. Nothing died due to it though.

We upgraded to a Pure Sine Wave inverter in December. Shit is hella cash
>tfw silent as fuck laptop adapter
>>
>>941803
>my bad
- fuck that dude, inarguable exactly whose bad it is here - made the same mistake initially - and it was neither >>941370 or yours.

>ProductLabelFail #101
>>
>>941804
I wasnt saying that modified sine wave would instantly blow shit up. What Ive read basically said it shortens the life of capacitors, or something along those lines. Also iirc it said something about destroying electric motors allot faster, but I cant recall exactly so don't hold me to it.
congratulations on the upgrade btw. Ive been wanting to upgrade to a legit sine wave inverter for a while now, I still use a modified sine wave inverter myself. I just try not to run anything I really like off of it.

>run your whole house off of an inverter
alternative energy setup or do you just life in the woods and cant get electric?
>>
>>941959
>do you just life in the woods and cant get electric?
This one.
>>
>>941964
nice, Im kinda jelly actually
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.