[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ Do you know what this crack in my wall is? It's as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: wallcrack.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1720) Image search: [Google]
wallcrack.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1720
/diy/ Do you know what this crack in my wall is? It's as the side of the house (semi detached) Home insurance have said that it is not an insurable event and is not subsidence.
>>
>>939605
Crack is narrow and even along its length. Its just a crack, they happen. Get a good mason to freshen up your points and replace the damaged bricks and it will be good for years to come.
>>
>>939607
It's from ground settlement. The slab has sunk slightly and is cracked also.
>>
>>939605
>is not subsidence.

HAHAHAHAHA! What fucking jews they are. That is classic subsidence. Get a lawyer and have them jewbattle for your insurance. That insurance company is full of shit.
>>
>>939607
>narrow

Really?
>>
Tuck pointing/fixing that is relatively easy and cheap if you do it your self. I was able to tuckpoint a few home repair projects after watching an hour worth of a few YouTube projects.
Get a chisel or mason hammer and dig out adjoins the crack. Get a tuckpoint tool and a small bag of mortar and u can fix it for about 50$ all together. Thou it looks high don't fall
>>
>>939605
It is a ground settlement, the sides are sinking down, how old is this building?
>>
>>939711
This
>>
>>939711
Mason here. You can re point, and replace the bricks but if it's a foundation problem, which it looks like a foundation problem, they will just crack again. The insurance doesn't want to pay because foundation leveling is very expensive, sometimes in the 10-20,000$ range. If you own the place start fighting the insurance company, if you rent don't worry to much
>>
>>939782
>>939711
>>939605
And it needs to be properly dealt with. That ledge at the bottom of the image shows it's been cracked some time ago and fixed and cracked yet again.
>>
>>939605
let me guess, british house?
>>
>>939605
check your insurance stuff mate. generally your house just falling to pieces is never insurable. something like a burst pipe flooding your carpet will get the carpet replaced. but like your roof rusting out doesnt mean insurance buys you a new roofing system. in this case, you'd need to get the structural problems caused by subsidence fixed yourself. then the insurance would cover the repointing.

>>939881
I'd say that whole section fell out.
>new non-matching lintel
>different color bricks
>>
>>939760
>>939941

OP here. British house built in 1922. Those off colour bricks were repointed in 1984
>>
>semi detached
..not for much longer, by the looks. In my (entirely un-professional) opinion, I'd get that shit checked out by someone competent (surveyor, whatever) if I were you, dude. With all due to (one or two) other posters, that looks both non-trivial and someway beyond Polyfilla-tier fix; nor, as also noted, would it appear to be the first time it's been 'repaired' either. As said, not my area, but, that all dont look so rosy there, IMO.

>>939941
Now, if I were a betting man..
>>
File: ops mums house.jpg (891 KB, 1557x1591) Image search: [Google]
ops mums house.jpg
891 KB, 1557x1591
>>939605
>>
>>939605

A structural engineer will soon come to do a survey, but based on this picture and due to the unusually steep roof, it is an inherent design fault of the roof.
>>
Get it checked out, if it's serious, hassle your insurance company.

Depending on when you bought the house and if the previous owners never mentioned that one wall was literally falling apart, you may be able to sue them for the damages. In most countries, you aren't allowed to sell a lemon house like some sleazy car dealer. But i would try and get the insurance company to pay up (if it is a foundation problem).
>>
>>939945
>I'd say that whole section fell out.

Oh shit, you're right.

>>940157
>due to the unusually steep roof, it is an inherent design fault of the roof.

No.
>>
>>939965
If you're anywhere around Thames valley the place is rife with subsidence. They've been pumping groundwater at monstrous rates and so house everywhere are sinking lopsided l'y.

My gran is out in Surrey and the insurance company said "not subsidence" to cracks you could fit your hand in, it's just standard procedure for the cunts.

One engineers letter later (via a solicitor) and half a million pounds worth of repair planning was put into place
>>
>>940254
>If you're anywhere around Thames valley

OP here, and I am actually. I assumed it was purely a London thing, is is bad enough in Oxfordshire too?
>>
Had a similar problem recently.

Wasn't subsidence. Insurance paid out to have inspections and repair done.
Turned out it was tree roots up lifting the corner of the house - which is strange because I own a detached house built on a concrete raft, but never the less a crack formed.

We also had to have the drainage repaired as the tree roots had destroyed them.

Have you got big or many trees near by?
>>
Looks like the section to the right of the window has subsided
>>
>>940343

We did have, but the neighbour chopped it down about 6-7 months ago.
>>
>>940363
If it was a big fucker it's gonna have crept up over years. Roots of any trees cause havoc.
>>
>>940393

does 25ft = big fucker?

I always had this suspicion that they had subsidence, and their insurer made them cut down the tree.
>>
>>940396

It certainly sounds it. The insurance probably know and are trying to cop out of it. Scum insurers are.
>>
>>939977
>>939605
as I pointed out here, I suspect their insurance possibly already repaired it shittily, now they're refusing to do it twice because they already "solved" the problem after it fell out without fixing the cause.
>>
scary shit, op. i tried to sell my place 2 years ago, but the buyer had a structural survey done, and apparently there's a huge crack in the gable wall, indicating subsidence. my insurance company are complete cunts and refuse to have anything to do with it even though i've had a lawyer on them (for free, ex gf) and i know i can't afford the repair, so when coupled with the fact that i'm quite seriously ill and this fucking nightmare is the last thing i need to be thinking about atm, i'm just pretending it's not happening, living in denial, drinking a lot and preparing to auction the place and live in a tent in the meantime, should it ever become visible from the exterior, which thankfully atm it's not.
>gulp
>>
definitely has been 'patched' before. bricks don't match at all. will happen again but worse if the true cause isn't fixed first.
insurance only likes the money to flow in one direction - that being into their pocket.
thought brick houses were supposed to be so awesome?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.