[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: image1.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image1.png
2 MB, 1280x960
Newborn woodworking babby here:

Building a work bench and I want to hang a shop light overhead (attached to the bench, not the ceiling) but I don't want to use a pull cord/chain to operate it or a switch on the unit itself. I would like to wire it to a normal light switch and power it with a normal plug. I googled and can only find results for wiring a switched outlet - not what I'm trying to do.

Also taking suggestions on the type of light I should use. I don't know much about lighting but I know I don't want something that will buzz like hell and strain the eyes.

Also, what do you think of the bench?
>>
get a wire-in type of shop light, an extension cord, a 1 gang box, and a light switch.

cut the cord in half, wire switch into both cut ends of cord, put switch in box, mount box.

now cut the female head off the cord and wire that end to the light. mount the light
>>
>>939075
this is a good way, but the switches are not really meant to work with stranded wire. Consider tinning the wire to make it "solid" before putting it in the switch.

in all any way you do it will probably be just fine

>>939069
why did you double up 2x4s for the legs? seems overkill to me
>>
>>939141

it will also be used as an elephant gyno delivery table apparently geez
>>
>>939075
Stranded wire won't be an issue, you find it in old houses and on some light fixtures and dimmer switches. If he just makes sure it's tightened down properly, that no individual strands are sticking out(possible short circuit situation), and I'd wrap the side of the plug in a layer of electrical tape just for good measure. I'd do that with any plug. OP, now would be the chance to wire an outlet into your bench too, it's very convenient. You can put in a 2 gang box and wire it before the light switch so it's always on when the bench is plugged in.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160131-142807.png (213 KB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160131-142807.png
213 KB, 1200x1920
>>939141

I followed some plans that were given to me. I could probably build something without plans but I wanted it to be sturdy and this is pretty solid. It's basically 6 sections - 2 front, 2 back, 2 sides.

And yes, it's big. Maybe overkill.
>>
>>939197
just the legs are overkill. It is about right for a workbench for the size. nice job if you really are a beginner with carpentry. I know far too many people that don't know how to use a hammer, much less a drill
>>
>>939224
I'm afraid to meet these people that you know. Hammers and drills are some of the most intuitive tools around. A hammer is just a fancy whacking stick and except for torque adjustment and the CW/CCW "safety", drills are ridiculo obvious.
>>
File: scheme.png (16 KB, 921x535) Image search: [Google]
scheme.png
16 KB, 921x535
>>939069
>I would like to wire it to a normal light switch and power it with a normal plug. I googled and can only find results for wiring a switched outlet - not what I'm trying to do.

If you know this little about electricity plz be carefull. I included a pic with the wiring just because I was bored. You can off course bring the ground wire to the light as well if you're going to use a lamp with a conductive outside instead of a plastic one.

>>939163
now would be the chance to wire an outlet into your bench too, it's very convenient.

This, it's very usefull.
>>
Can't you just split the power cord, strip the wires and feed them into the switch?
>>
>>939262
that might be better if you want to save the cord to the light. Simply cut the extension cord a few inches (like 5 or 6) from the female end. Then just wire the female end as the switches output.

or, just wire in a switched outlet
>>
File: SNAP-ON-12-OUTLET-POWER-STRIP.jpg (57 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
SNAP-ON-12-OUTLET-POWER-STRIP.jpg
57 KB, 550x367
>>939252

Thanks - that's what I'm looking for. I've done a few electrical around the house type things before but I just wanted to make sure I do this right. Diagrams are my friend.

As far as outlets, I was planning on just doing something like this. I'm currently leasing and I don't want to wire anything into the garage electrical.
>>
>>939329
wire everything to the extension cord, turning your bench into a giant extension cord head.
you can unplug the entire thing with no lasting changes.
>>
>>939069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJBfVlEYq4
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.