[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TECH SUPPORT NEEDED: I want WLAN ARE THERE ANY PEOPLE HERE WHO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: HG658-3_zps8cc4b2c7.jpg (118 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HG658-3_zps8cc4b2c7.jpg
118 KB, 800x600
TECH SUPPORT NEEDED: I want WLAN

ARE THERE ANY PEOPLE HERE WHO LIKE GIVING FREE TECH SUPPORT?

I have an internet provider. But they only game a cable that goes in my computer. And so, I only have Internet. But I want wireless internet too.

And I have a modem. Which is not configured.

If I plug the internet cable into slot LAN1 and another cable (that goes to my computer), I still only have internet.

How do I get the modem to give me wireless internet, too?

As of right not, the modem doesn't give me wireless internet, and it doesn't even say it receives internet. It only lets the internet, from a slot to another?
>>
>>938555
How do you access internet through your pc? Some kind of dial up/establish connection or does it happen automatically? Check the router manual if you can change WAN from the DSL phone jack port to LAN1.
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>938560
Yes, it is some kind of dial up, where I have to put a username and a password. the type of connection is "PPPoE".

I really don't know how to change from DLS to LAN1. This is what I'm asking.
>>
>>938562
Check all the options until you find it or read the manual or google, and set it up as pppoe with the credentials you have.
>>
bumperion
>>
File: retarded.jpg (81 KB, 604x454) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
81 KB, 604x454
>>938555
pic related, it's OP
>>
File: aaafag.png (871 KB, 800x578) Image search: [Google]
aaafag.png
871 KB, 800x578
>>938555
>>
>>938573
still, bumping for answers
>>
File: you are faggot1.jpg (79 KB, 1163x715) Image search: [Google]
you are faggot1.jpg
79 KB, 1163x715
what a complete retard.
>>
>>938575
Can you please help me, instead of insulting me?
>>
>>938555
The DSL port and the name "home gateway" leads me to believe the thing you have is a modem not a router and it will not work the way you want.
A router has a port labled "WAN" where it connects to the interbutts.
>>
File: anon bait.png (94 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
anon bait.png
94 KB, 500x288
>>938555
Your picture came off of ebay.

Your internet cannot work based on how you drew on the picture.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hg658
>>
>>938580
This thing (whatever it is) has a WLAN button to turn it on. And it has a led labeled "WLAN" that glows intermittently and shows WLAN is on right now.
>>
File: awkward.jpg (175 KB, 851x545) Image search: [Google]
awkward.jpg
175 KB, 851x545
>>938577
no because you are either too stupid to use google or just a not very good troll.
>>
bumper
>>
In the address bar of your browser, type:
when prompted, enter
user: admin
password: admin1234

find the page to set the ssid and make up a name and password. This will be what you see when looking foe wireless networks from your computer or phone.

Also set an admin name an password. This will be what you use to get back to the setup, even from wi-fi.

There's probably a page to turn on wi-fi and "broadcast ssid", turn it on too.

If you've never used wi-fi from a computer before, it might be easier to verify wi-fi working from an android phone.

here's the manual:
http://www.manualguru.com/huawei/hg658/owners-manual
>>
bumperino
>>
shit, a whole 11 minutes and op hasnt bumped his thread. lemme do it for him.
>>
>>938650
thanks, man
>>
>>938582
its a modem router combo, it doesnt accept outside internet connections only through its internal modem.
>>
>>938582

WAN and WLAN are different things.

WAN = Wide Area Network
WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network

You need a new router, the modem/router you are trying to use there is intended for a somewhat different use.

Just go down the store or amazon, and get yourself a well reviewed "wireless-capable router" that does NOT include the term "modem".
>>
>>
Ok dude, if i get this right you get a Cable form you Provider that goes directly into your PC and you have no Modem of any kind, right?
Basically you need the Router to just work as Router and not as Modem. Some can't do this, i'm not sure about yours. Basically what you need to do is connect the Cable to the DSL Port of the Router. Then you need to tell your router that it gets the Internet by Ethernet or LAN, that is usually somewhere under WAN-configuration in the router setup. Also you need to enable DHCP for Ethernet and WLAN.
But maybe your router only works with modem enabled, then you need to get a new one
>>
>>938664
>if i get this right you get a Cable form you Provider that goes directly into your PC and you have no Modem of any kind, right?
Correct. I have the cable that should go directly into the PC, and have this router, but no modem.

>Basically you need the Router to just work as Router and not as Modem. Some can't do this, i'm not sure about yours.
It can. This router is high quality and has wifi and everything.

>Basically what you need to do is connect the Cable to the DSL Port of the Router.
No. Since the internetcable can go into the PC, it'can clearly only go into a LAN port. What I need to do is reconfigure the router, so that it can receive internet through a LAN port, not DSL.
>>
That router wont do it and doesnt support openwrt - get an asus ac68u which does what you want or ditch the router, buy a usb wifi dongle and google turning your computer into a wifi hotspot
>>
>>938559
>>938564
>>938566
>>938571
>>938574
>>938588
>>938646
>>938647

Chill the fuck out.
>>
File: DIY Bingo1.jpg (111 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
DIY Bingo1.jpg
111 KB, 600x600
>>938555
>>
File: 1446819642613.jpg (30 KB, 422x576) Image search: [Google]
1446819642613.jpg
30 KB, 422x576
>>
Op has dial up and cannot understand why DSL router will not let him get ADSL broadband?
>>
>>938958
No, OP has cable and is trying to use an ADSL router as a cable router.

TBF, some ADSL routers can, as in any modern router every ethernet port is individually addressable*, however OP's can't and he can't accept this because it's "high-quality".

* internally there's still only one NIC, but the ports are multiplexed with a VLAN switch, so the router can group them as necessary, and address each group by using the appropriate VLAN on the NIC. Sky's routers, for instance, are normally ADSL, but will probe for an Ethernet fiber modem connected to the first LAN port, and if they find one, they'll turn it into a WAN port by reconfiguring the VLAN switch.
>>
>>938555
install 3rd party firmware
(ddr-wrt or open wrt or something)
then configure the internals to bridge wlan to lan
>>
>>938555
Buy a router, how do you even function that you can't figure this out?
>>
>>938555
Why are you trying to use a Chinese baby monitor as an internet router?
>>
>>938555
Too much hate on here for me to read so I'll answer with what I have and hope it hasn't been said and/or helps.
The four yellow ones are outs only, the grey ones, specifically the one marked DSL is the one you want, if your cable doesn't fit in there this router is not the one you need.
This is a DSL router, you need an ADSL router, you can get them for dirt cheap, but with everything, the less you spend the worse it'll prolly be.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>939268
op's pic is not related, that's why there was so much hate.
>>
>>938555
wlan is deprecated - too many security holes, slower broadband speeds than using ethernet, and too many signal glitches. Anyone with any sense would just wire their house up
>>
>>939268
you were fucking bumping after 4 minutes, you should be hanged for that. let alone you deserve any help at all, ever.
>>
>>941436
Good thing you rescued it from the bottom of the catalog, then.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.