[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a part of a HEMA club and I want to make some training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1454117335569.png (88 KB, 500x116) Image search: [Google]
1454117335569.png
88 KB, 500x116
I'm a part of a HEMA club and I want to make some training rondel daggers.

How would I go about doing it?

Keep in mind I have little woodworking skill and few tools.
>>
Buy a stick and clamp of into your drillpress or your drill. Use it as a lathe
>>
>>938325
what tools do you have?

>>938328
this, make a sanding bow. you wont get the crisp tight curves, but should get something usable. also, round off the edges as much as possible with a knife or chisel, will be much faster than sanding it down. (don't use knife with drill and with drill press only if you have a centerpoint on the bottom too. too much sideways force otherwise.)
>>
proper way would be a lathe, ash dowel rods, about 16 inches / 40cm is good, and turn it.
>>
File: axe.jpg (17 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
17 KB, 500x381
As previous posters said, lathe would be the right way to go.

Now I'm going to hijack this thread. Me and a friend are planning on doing some HEMA training at home and we are going to make wooden swords. The heaviest and hardest wood I can find here is Cumaru.
Does anyone have any experience working with it?
Tips?
Thanks.
>>
>>938524
weight is not relevant- in fact, its more likely a hindrance.

A decent beech or ash is far more suited in that the material properties (split resistance) are ideal for training.

make a sword about 12-18mm thick, with normal proportions, and it'll handle right.
>>
>>938528
Thanks, I was thinking that it might resemble a steel sword more accurately.

I don't have access to beech or ash, will maple or white oak work?
>>
>>938528

This. Hickory is also one of the best woods for split resistance, strength, and shock resistance.

Replacement axe or shovel handles might be a good starting point if the dimensions work for you. Good ones will be hickory or ash.
>>
>>938544
oak splits well, don't use oak. maple maybe. hickory or ash. Ask local lumber guy what they'd suggest for an axe handle (= lots of impacts)
>>
File: 61yauDt72EL._SY355_.jpg (5 KB, 217x355) Image search: [Google]
61yauDt72EL._SY355_.jpg
5 KB, 217x355
>>938547

err sledge hammer handles was what I was thinking of. Axe handles typically aren't straight.
>>
>>938548
Don't have any hardwood lumberyards around here, but i bought 10 meters of rough sawn maple cheaply from a farmer.
>>938549
Our plan was to make longswords, for which a sledgehammer shaft is to short.
>>
>>938554
maple should do - but you might need to replace it sooner. white oak is used by eastern martial arts guys for bo staffs, so that would be a more reliable choice too.
>>
I'm gonna try with the maple, thanks for all the help.
>>
>>938565
They use a different genus of oak to the ones found in Europe or America that is ever green: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak#Genus_Cyclobalanopsis

http://www.aikiweb.com/weapons/goedkoop1.html

Probably won't find it easily in Europe or America.

Ash is probably the best available wood in Europe.

Hickory in America.

Spotted Gum in Australia
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.