[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, I broke the frame of my glasses when I went snowboarding.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (976 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
976 KB, 2448x2448
Hey /diy/, I broke the frame of my glasses when I went snowboarding. It broke the bridge of my frame. My frame is made of acetat and I want to use acetone to attach the two parts back together. However, with my bad eyesight of -9 I need my glasses through the day. What I have read from the internet seems that it needs to dry 24 hours. I can't go without my glasses for that long, so what happens when I let it dry for 14 hours. Should that be sufficient? Or should I just keep them taped together and wait until I get my new glasses?
>>
Can be found at Wal-Mart in the paint section.

You're welcome.
>>
>>936938
What kind of faggot are you?
Everybody who wears glasses has at least 1 spare set.
Heck I don't even need mine half the time and I got like 2 pairs just to be safe.
So yeah superglue and get a spare set. You should know this by now.
>>
Watch Out when using some glues Especially super glues, they often produce some white fog which sets on the surrounding areas
>>
>>936939
Thanks, we don't have a Walmart here but I can look for something that works the same.

>>936940
My parents didn't have the money for a second pair back then. Bought two new pairs myself and they should arrive at the end of next week. I'll try superglue, thanks.

>>936943
I'm getting a new pair, so I don't care about getting white marks for 10 days. That's a lot better than tape.
>>
>>936938
get some of that cheap ass brown paper towel you see in public restrooms. apply superglue to a small 1cmx1cm square of it and press between the broken frame pieces. then wrap around it with a small strip of the same brown paper towel, and then drip super glue onto that wrapped strip. when it dries color it black with a sharpie.

I did this with a pair of metal framed glasses and a pair of plastic framed. both cases the joint lasted months.

I learned this technique from an old grease monkey who claimed to have used this exact technique to mend a propeller for a boat while stuck in the middle of a lake fishing after snapping it in two upon hitting a floating stick or log.
>>
>>936938
Try calling your local hobby store, like one that cater to modelers and RC enthusiasts and has been around a long time that people like.
The place by me steered me right in which adhesive to use for my specific application and specifics as to work time and full cure etc.
>>
>>936939
>>936938

Possibly use am epoxy instead
>>
>>936938
Check if it melts.

If it does, use a soldering iron or ideally a hot-air reflow gun to weld them back together.

Or, y'know, take it to a shop and pay them $20.
>>
>>936938
5 second fix
>>
>>936939
This is truly your only real answer. Take the lenses out before you work on them.
>>
File: 85548ad[1].jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
85548ad[1].jpg
101 KB, 600x600
>>938398
5 second fix is better
>>
>>936949
Glasses don't actually cost much money.

Go to your optometrist, bitch until they GIVE you your prescription (to which you're entitled), and go to Zenni Optical or some other site and load up on $9 glasses. I've been rocking a pair of them for 3 years.
>>
>>938411

>don't cost that much money
Me and my Oliver Peoples disagree. Any my second pair were cheaper and still £300
>>
>>936938
Oculus Reparo
>>
>>938416

>He pays extra for a designers name.

Cuck
>>
>>938416

I used to think like you.

Then I realized I could buy glasses in places other than the on-site store at the office and NOT pay exorbitant prices for them.
>>
>>938536
The 15 dollar glasses I got from Zenni are literally better than the 350 dollar glasses I got from company name redacted.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.