[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Book.jpg (10 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
Book.jpg
10 KB, 236x236
So I have found myself a new hobby. DIY Books.

So far I have worked a little bit with thermal binding and plastic rings, but I want to craft real books now. Does anyone else bind books on /diy/? And what method do you use?
>>
I really love the old world style of printing and book making. Classy as fuck.

There are a few good videos about it on youtube.
>>
>>989538
I used to make them by getting the block of paper set up between two thin bits of wood, then clamping them down firmly- mark out the holes about 5mm-1/4" from the edge and then drill holes along the length with a small (generally 2mm) bit about every 1cm or so. Then take the boards off, get waxed cotton and bind the core of the pages together with a ringbolt hitch down the length.
Nice thing about the ringbolt is that its got a bit of room so you can either sew the spine to it or it'll have enough 'meat' so to speak to have glue to grip to it.
>>
Perfect binding with a binder clip and some pvc glue. Easy but very useful if you have loose papers you want to bind for any reason.
>>
Im into his too op. Check out Japanese 4 Hole Binding and Coptic Binding.

Made a nice Jap Bound book of old printed workout manuals from pdfs (Charles Atlas, 5BX, etc). My step dad fell in love with it and took it.
>>
File: operate.jpg (27 KB, 500x239) Image search: [Google]
operate.jpg
27 KB, 500x239
>>989538
Hammered copper pages, engraved with text and images, sewn individually with brass wire to monel pins that run along the spine. Articulated monel sheets form the back and covers.
>>
>>989633
>machining or working monel alloys
You sadistic bastard, you've gone too far this time.
>>
>>989538
The sticky has some good info.
>>
>>989538
I've read a couple of books on bookbinding, but proper books are complex. Kind of like comparing good suits and t-shirts.
>>
File: binding books.jpg (6 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
binding books.jpg
6 KB, 267x189
have an infograph
>>
File: WTF really.gif (835 KB, 352x200) Image search: [Google]
WTF really.gif
835 KB, 352x200
>>989633
>>989686
>doesn't rust or spoil
>if left in the right place, 0.0000001% erosion per 10,000 years
They're right...you're a monster!!!
>>
>>989538
that looks cool to me, can I have sauce or some tutorial on that particular style?
>>
>>990326

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/146155950382897392/?from_navigate=true
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.