[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Basement remodeling help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: New project.png (124 KB, 1024x937) Image search: [Google]
New project.png
124 KB, 1024x937
I already made basement plans on my tablet and I wanted to know what regulations I should know of before I start working on it. I went to a local hardware store and brought my tablet with the plans on it to ask for help/suggestions about certain regulations and they said they didn't handle stuff like that nor did they know of any places that did.

I just want to know what regulations to go by or if anyone know of a site that gives such regulations for the state od Illinois.

Thanks.
>>
City and state codes are available on .gov websites. I dont' know what those websites are for your area but you can usually search for building code.

The reason hardware stores don't get involved with code or plan approval is because they don't like to be sued or be hit with city inspector fines which can be pretty steep.

If its an actual basement you're going to have plumbing problems if its not already setup for drainage. Water has a tough time going up thus why not many toilets are below ground.

Some localities demand all floorplans be approved before permits are pulled. If you're deadset on doing all the work yourself, find the building department contact number and call them. Talk to a permit desk worker and explain what you're trying to do, WHO YOU ARE and what will be necessary.

Also, you don't need no codes are permits if you never intend on selling the house. Even then, you can sell it "as is" not up to code and skirt inspections if the buyer gives no fucks.
>>
>>930961
Thanks. I might go by my municpal center today to get more info. If the bathroom is too much I'll see about leaving it out of the plans. That I believe will be the biggest headache and cost anyways.
>>
>>930952
I'd like you to read the following as a song. Pick a tune you like:
Yeeeet anooother anooo-o-o-oooon that ask foooor regulations with. Out. Specifying locatiooooOOOON!
>>
>>931011
Illinois isn't a "Locatiiioooonnn"?

Anyways I am headed to the local municipal in half an hour to check it out further.
>>
>>931011
>I just want to know what regulations to go by or if anyone know of a site that gives such regulations for the state od Illinois.

OP gave a general location, ya dingus.

Are you deadset on a "bedroom" and weight room? Growing up I had a finished basement that was more like a living room/family room with a lot of storage cabinets and 1 exercise machine in the corner with an unfinished wine room closet.
>>
>>931016
I am deadset on both. I Already have the weight equipment down there and a stand for a 100lb punching bag. My primary reason is to gain a workspace. My current bedroom is cramped as fuck because it has so much shit in it.

I still might make the basement bedroom a personal workspace since I don't think furniture will even fit down the narrow stairway anyways.
>>
>>931018
Its your house presumably and you should do whatever you want with it.

But if it were me, I would make it as open a space as possible, keep the gym equipment as your workout area, and then put your workspace down there or out in the garage if you have one.

Keep it a mancave overall where you can work out, work on your toys, and drink beer in a comfy place. You lose a lot less square footage by not having the walls separating the rooms also, and it helps with space efficiency.

Here is what I would do, make the furnace area slightly bigger by pulling the doorway down towards the stair landing, use that space for mechanicals and storage. You can save a few bucks by not finishing that "room". Put the weight bench in the "closet" and the weight machine where the sliding door is. That closet is massive and unnecessary with the furnace and storage area. The bathroom could be removed, smaller, or made into a laundry area. A utility tub, appliances, and water pump for drainage can be put in there. Free up the laundry in the other part of the house.

Workbench in front of a window, TV and couch for thinking about the failed project on the workbench. TV mounted to the wall. And a small drybar built in below the stairs to drink yourself to sleep when /diy/ tells you about your dumb RPi purchase.
>>
>>930952
Are you doing this yourself? OSHA is not going break down your door and check inside your asshole.

Are you hiring contractors? They should know the code for their part of the job and if your specs are legal.

Also if you're getting a permit anyway, don't you send your plans in? If they approve it, you are in good faith.

Looks fine to me. No walkways looked cramped. I imagine your furnace is how it's always been and isn't a fire hazard. I imagine your stairs are built right. It looks like you have window egress in the bedroom. If your new bathroom fixtures are plumbed right, there won't be problems, btw water has to drain down hill.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.