[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /diy/, first time posting here and I have a project that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: Photo Jan 12, 11 59 23 AM.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Photo Jan 12, 11 59 23 AM.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Alright /diy/, first time posting here and I have a project that's been fucking with my head. I have a dated car, a 2003 Chrysler Sebring and the headlights on it suck a whole lot of fucking dick. To compensate, I bought a pair of Plasmaglow Lightning Eyes, which are just waterproof LED strips with nothing but one 12V wire and one ground wire (pictured)

My problem is I have to wire those lights into my car, but every video or guide I've found on youtube shows fuses that I don't believe I have. Hopefully you guys can help me wire this through, and tell me what tools I'll need to get it done.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: Photo Jan 14, 4 07 04 PM.jpg (1 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Photo Jan 14, 4 07 04 PM.jpg
1 MB, 4032x3024
>>930140
fuse box
>>
File: Photo Jan 14, 4 06 46 PM.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Photo Jan 14, 4 06 46 PM.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>930140
fuse box diagram
>>
>>930140
well when do you want them on?
if you want them on all the time then put in a new fuse in a spare carrier and connect them to that
if you want them on with the car wire them into ignition after a fuse
if you want them on with headlights then wire them into the headlights
if you want them on with interior lights then wire them into interior lights
if you want them on when you wash your windows wire them into your washer jets.
>>
>>930152
>if you want them on all the time then put in a new fuse in a spare carrier and connect them to that

Do I just buy a new fuse and then plug them in?

>if you want them on with headlights then wire them into the headlights

How so?
>>
>>930140
I drive an old car myself.a 1995 chevy lumina sedan. Its the ultimate pedophile car... Besides that tid bit. Its headlights fucking SUCK. Like my old motorcycle headlight is brighter then them and it sucks pretty good itself...

LEDs don't give you useable visible light.. Think of it like a candle flame. You can see it 5 miles away. But is the useful light emitting 5 miles? No more like 5 inches. LEDs are like this unless you know what youre doing (clearly not) ur just gonna blind on coming traffic with your rice growing lights ebay special instead of improving your own visibility.
>>
I don't know if your idea will work, but there are 2 things you can do.

You could use an inline fuse and run them to the battery if you're insistent on fuses, or you could wire them inline with the battery.
Downsides are running all the time, even with car off, so you'll need a switch or to be ghetto and just disconnect the wiring. Upside is no wiring alterations.

Or you can splice into the wires that power the headlamps and run that in parallel with the current lights. Downside is there will always be a splice in that line, even if you remove the leds. Not a big deal really. Upside is they'll turn on with the headlamps.

I'd do the latter. You'll need probably 4 heat shrink butt connectors(or if you're lucky you can find this kind that puncture the existing wire and allows you to tie a new one in without cutting the old one) and a tool to crimp with. You can get a really nice Klein one from home depot for about $15 that'll probably last you forever that also has jaws for stripping wire, and a lighter. It's a simple process really. Find the wires for your headlamps(normal, not brights) and snip them(one at a time to avoid confusion) with enough slack on both sides to work with.

For the positive side, cut the wire, strip both sides, insert both pieces into a butt connector with the positive lead from one set of leds, and crimp. Do the same with the negative. Check your work. If good brush it with the lighter to shrink it and form a water resistant seal. Do the same to the next light. You're done.

If you can find the type of connector that clamps onto an existing wire use that method, "less" permanent.
>>
>>930240
Also, you'll be piggy backing off the fuse that's already being used fore the lights. Leds shouldn't increase the draw enough to be a factor
>>
File: LED-Light-Bar-Hilux-0482.jpg (99 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
LED-Light-Bar-Hilux-0482.jpg
99 KB, 800x533
>led strips

I don't think you are going to do much good with those for headlight use. You need something with more power.
>>
File: B001O7I7FS-0.jpg%22.jpg (20 KB, 300x331) Image search: [Google]
B001O7I7FS-0.jpg%22.jpg
20 KB, 300x331
>>930140
just put new bulbs in, and polish the plastic headlight lenses, pic related
>>
>>930240
I tried googling that tool and got odd results do you have a url by chance?
>>
>>930185
>>930481
Read these. It's a bad idea op. If I was driving past you I'd be pretty pissed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.