[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know what type of nut this is? It's on the back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 20160111_081055.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160111_081055.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Does anyone know what type of nut this is? It's on the back of a VeriPhone credit card terminal.
>>
Tamper resistant/security hex head. You can get a driver that will fit from most hardware stores, usually in a box with a shitload of other security driver bits (torx, tri-wing, torq-set, spanner head, polydrive and so on)
>>
>>928498
>>928496
Alternatively, jam a flathead into it and snap the security pin out.

Then you can use an ordinary allen key.
>>
Deez...

Tamper proof security bit, you can pick up packs of driver heads that have a bunch of weird security heads in em for like $10, and imo its totally worth it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>928510
>Deez...
nuts
HA! Gotem, HA!
>>
>>928498
>>928506
>>928525

Thanks anons.
>>
File: 008236064506lg.jpg (29 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
008236064506lg.jpg
29 KB, 276x276
>>928496
Just use a common secutiry torx bit (pic related). It's not ideal, but it shoud fit and do the job.
>>
>>928892

Okay will do. Thanks again.
>>
Not a nut, it's a bolt.
>>
>>928506
Also, you can use the flat head to unscrew it without snapping off the center pin depending on how tight the screw is.
>>
>>930383
Might be a blind capping nut.
>>930387
If it wasn't too tight you could use your fingers.

What are you doing with it op? You know once you open it it's fucked right?
>>
>>930394
Not fucked. Rather open!
>>
>>930406
No fucked, most of them have a more or less destruct or tamper switch inside.

They are not meant to be serviced.

They do not want folks to get a hold of proprietary software.

-PCIDSS Tech..
>>
>>928496
Just adding, for all the people that say "just go out and buy a set of security bits": I've seen these that have non-standard, oversize pins in the center.

It's some manufacturer's form of security-through-obscurity / sales, because you have to buy the appropriate bit from them.

As an alternative, you could probably find a way to bore out the hole in the bit, make it larger, but I've never tried.
>>
>>932077
I'll be honest I've popped a few of these open and never been fucked. At least not in the sense of functionality, but I'm also not tampering with the hardware or software, usually just moving or resetting the devices or following reassignment procedure from the distributor. That said, the tamper trigger might ensure you fail a particularly grueling PCI audit but I've never put a device out of commission like that.

It should be noted that as an IT professional I do many stupid things in the client's interest of saving money. Large grains of salt.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.