[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ So this is the first winter in my new house and with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160110_095925259.jpg (1 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_095925259.jpg
1 MB, 1520x2688
Hi /diy/

So this is the first winter in my new house and with temperatures dipping below zero, I'm starting to accrue frost on the inside of my windows. My inside temp is 72 and humidity is around 20%.

Is there an easy way to fix this before it saturated the wood around the glass?
>>
>>927908
Plastic on the outside of the window. Pick it up at any hardware store.
>>
>>927908
"new house"? Your window is single plane and there is gap in the frame to let air in otherwise it cannot be this serious, this is a fucked up window install, you will need to replace the entire frame if you ever hope to fix this, no amount of plastic sheeting will protect you from single plane glass plus a non-standard shit frame
>>
>>927934
Sorry, by new I meant new to me.
>>
>>927938

old windows on my house, we usually put saran wrap over the inside pane of each window around the frame. surprisingly adequate insulation on the cheap.
>>
File: [email protected] (157 KB, 1000x672) Image search: [Google]
me@home.jpg
157 KB, 1000x672
>>927967
>>
If there's that much moisture I'd consider buying a dehumidifier regardless.
>>
>>927967
>>927972

Good enough for the president of Canada:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEQeGJTwstY
>>
>>927908
You just have shit windows. Chances are, it's been doing this for years already and you already have wood rot in some places. Just get new windows.
>>
My guess is you have no insulation around your windows.Caulk around the outside of the window frame. Fill any cracks well.Then check your seal on the check rail. Which is where the top and bottom sash meet. Make sure if it interlocks that, that's what it's doing. Next check all the other seals around the sash and on the sides. A good way to check for leaks is use a candle and go around the sash frames. You may be able to remove the sash then, remove the track if it's vinyl. Then put some insulation back there. You should probably pull the trim inside and insulate around the window. If you own the house I would strongly suggest getting new windows with insulated glass or fitted storm windows. You can make them as well.
>>
another thing is make sure the seal on the bottom of the bottom sash is clean, tight and sitting flat.And when checking all of those insulating seals make sure they're in their tracks and not bunched up.
>>
>>927908
Ice on the inside glass is caused by heat loss through the window panes, plain and simple.

You need triple-pane windows.
>>
>>929047
There is not much gain vs profit in triple paned windows.

Say a single pane cost $1.00 and had an R value of 1. An a double pane with argon gas between the panes is $3.00 with an R value of 4. And a triple pane is $8.00 with gas and an R value of 6.

Sure you get 2 extra points. But you also lose some of the heat from the sunlight as well and that can also help you warm your house.

Heavy curtains are good for holding in heat too.
>>
You should install a heat radiator under the window!
>>
Ok calm down guys lets start with a simple fix then move from there. OP you need to run some caulk on the inside AND outside of the window. There is water getting in, and it's cold so the water is freezing. Just caulk up your window pane and it should fix the problem.
>>
>>929088
looks more like condensation + window below freezing
>>
>>927969
>>927927
>>927967
where do you people life that you put platisk outside your window/fucking clear foil inside.
i really would like to know, sweden here btw
>>
>>929088
That is condensate. Not a water leak.
>>
>>929088
>Ok calm down guys lets start with a simple fix then move from there. OP you need to run some caulk on the inside AND outside of the window. There is water getting in, and it's cold so the water is freezing.
nope.
the window GLASS is getting so cold that the water condensing on it is freezing.
Yea, it is not good for the window.
But no, it's not due to poor insulation in the wall around the window--it's the thermal loss of the window glass itself.

You can put plastic over the inside to control drafts off the cold glass. That might help your furnace run less but it's not going to do anything for the window.

Triple-pane / thermal / frost-free windows cost a lot but they are made specifically to not do this. Other windows cost less, and aren't.
>>
Open the window slightly to let condensation out.
>>
>>929147
i live in a 100+ year old farm house in michigan, i put plastic on the outside of some windows(north and west facing) and shrink tight plastic on the inside of all my windows. i also stack hay bales around the field stone foundation to keep wind and blowing snow out.

my house has newer windows, but they were installed by incompetent people before i bought the place. the windows themselves dont leak, but the air flows in around the window frames because they weren't sealed or insulated properly when installed.
>>
>>929183
Well yes it is, because it'll stop water getting to the window so it can freeze on it.
>>
>>929195
yep. except condense. as long as air tight, then any condensation (minimal because no thermal mass) will be on the plastic as soon as the water from the humidity in the air trapped in that pocket is gone.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.