[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Projects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 11
hi /diy/,

I recently used a raspberry pi v2 in my computer architecture course(because MASM doesn't really let you get that low level anymore), and now i'm wondering what I should do with it, now that the course is over.

Does /diy/ have any project recommendations? What should I do with it?

Also, share your projects if you have any.
>>
>>926530
also, i'm considering buying like 15-63 more and having a go at turning them into a supercomputer.

not sure of my budget tho.
>>
bomp.
>>
>>926530
/diy/ is slow no need to bump.

The first inclination that people generally have is to turn it into a media server. Plug in a usb hard drive, and either connect to wireless or Ethernet. This is never a good idea because the pi only has a single channel usb and the Ethernet port is going through it so every communication with need to go through the same usb channel 2 in order to get there even on a fast Ethernet connection in practice i had trouble even streaming 480p video from one.

Best use is to use it like you would an arduino with network functionality and more processing power. Look at the pin-out see if you have some hardware you want to interact with and see where it takes you.

I have been enjoying mine as an octopi 3d print server if you have a 3d printer might be worth it to use it there.
>>
do you wanna fuck me op

you are answering your own questions?
>>
Been thinking of getting a pi zero and put a display on it with a 3D printed case for both + a tight cable so you could use it as a usb stick.

uses I have in mind so far were a password manager/2FA device, and a rescue device for software-broken computers.
>>
>>926923
It's entirely possible to use a Raspberry Pi to serve HD media. My Pi is directly plugged into my router via Ethernet and I use a 4 port USB hub with various microSD card readers and USB drives combined together using RAID 0 and LVM into a single 326 GiB volume which I use to store my media files. To my surprise it's been totally reliable. Minidlna is used to serve them to the various TVs and other devices around the house. For example I have just watched a 14.43 GB rip of The Martian on a TV via WiFi. Played flawlessly.
>>
>>927907
I think people underestimate USB2, or overestimate how big media is.

USB2 = 480Mbps (theoretical)
Gigabit Ethernet = 1000Mbps (theoretical)
Bluray maximum bitrate = 40Mbps

Therefore a Pi with a gigabit ethernet adapter can theoretically serve six simultaneous blurays, and would have to attain less than 17% utilisation on the USB port to be unable to stream a bluray.

This threshold drops to 3% for your average 720p TV-series or animu.
>>
>>926923
streaming 1080p60 video works fine. you set it up wrong.
>>
>>926530

My NAS serves as a media zerver so I don't really need that.

I use a PI B as a ZNC server that keeps me conected and logs many IRC channels.

I have a B2 that I use to run a private Minecraft Server. I runs alright but lags of the world gets too large. That's still pretty big. I have never tested multiple users.

I tried using a Pi2 as an OpenSIM server (Self hosted Second Life). It works alright but started lagging once the prim count got to a few thousand with 4-5 avatars connected.

It would be great for a sort of private cold storage of builds if you were into Second Life.

I also have used RetroPi some, which works well.
>>
I use mine as a seedbox and file server.
>>
I've made a thermostat to control the heater in my house...
>>
File: cozy kot.jpg (47 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
cozy kot.jpg
47 KB, 600x400
>>929216
>>929092
Details! The devil is in the details!

What applications do you use for the seedbox and fileserver? How's it set up?

Also thermostat - how's does it work? Some python/c code that acts upon some thermal probe (which one?) and relays that turn on/off heaters (which heaters, how many, how much power do they consume?)
>>
File: 1440248748349.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440248748349.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>926530
Don't want to hijack your thread op, but does anybody know if using a raspberry pi to learn programming is a good idea? Is it even possible?
>>
>>929565
It's just as good as any other computer, given that that's what it is.
>>
>>927102
I've been looking for one since I saw a neat project using the Zero yesterday but they are sold out from all the linked distributors.
Does anon know where else to nab one outside of eBay?
>>
>>929671

They only just started shipping the Kickstarter rewards so I have no idea what availability is but you may try a CHIP at getchip.com . It's like a Pi0 only with Wifi.
>>
>>929611
OK so I'll buy one. Any resources you know of?
>>
>>929680
Much appreciated friend, looks cool.
>>
File: orangepipc_info.jpg (794 KB, 1150x1550) Image search: [Google]
orangepipc_info.jpg
794 KB, 1150x1550
Any experience with the orange pi pc?

Was thinking of getting one for my tv. Would play hd videos (only need 720p but 1080p would be nice) and emulate n64/ps1.

The $15 price tag has me hesitant. What's the catch?
>>
>>930407
It's dirt cheap and you get what you pay for. Appart from some minor flaws like the power button not working except for the first time (after you power it off you have to unplug it) and it being realy picky about the speed of the sd card (I payed more for my card than for the board) it sort of kind of works. But don't expect to find any documentation or examples. If I bought something new I would go for the RPi zero.
>>
>>929681
bunch of books on torrents, raspberry pi projects, etc.
>>
>>929472

Well, the project is not finished yet, i'm refining the web interface. It's based on some script in phython and bash, it read the temperature, and compare it to the desired for the given hour. Then it open/close a relay which it's connected to the heater. I don't really know how the heater work, but i think it start pumping hot water in the house radiator.

I will publish all the code on my blog soon (raspberrygaming dot altervista dot org)
>>
>>930413
>rpi zero
Why?
>>
Read somewhere they got a new Pi in the works with better hardware under the hood.
>>
>>926530
i bought a raspberry pi but i dont understand shit of it
>>
>>931969

It's essentially just a cheap computer. What did you want to do with it? It helps to have a project, even if it's "press a button to toggle some LEDs" to get a better understanding of it.
>>
>>926530
Build a mame cabinet, use it to run arcade games.
>>
>>927918
>I think people underestimate USB2, or overestimate how big media is.
I did until I read this thread. I wouldn't have conceived of such a thing.
>>
>>929565
If you want a programming only computer that just runs Linux or something for cheap ya it will work. I would be more inclined to just use a regular computer for a nicer IDE, but if you want a no distraction machine its fine.

>>926530
RetroPie or Lakka + 2-4 Buffalo SNES + metal/plastic lunchbox + drill

Now you have a portable Mario Kart machine.
>>
>>934882
>RetroPie or Lakka + 2-4 Buffalo SNES + metal/plastic lunchbox + drill
>Now you have a portable Mario Kart machine.
Wouldnt many other hardware platforms work better? I thought these pi game players lagged.
>>
>>926923
I have a two Pi's powering media at home. The media is on a server with ethernet to Pi, then HDMI to TV.

They are quite capable to deliver any movie downloaded.

They are a little bit slower than a PC, but you get used to it.

Haven't had free to air tv for years.
>>
>>930407
The documentation, help and mainline support isn't as good as a Pi.

(Haven't got one, just what I've read on SlashDot)
>>
>>935694
Really just depends on what you play. N64/PS1 isn't going to run worth a shit, but SNES, NES, GBA, etc would probably run okay. Not tried it yet myself but I plan on it. Those things have run well on less hardware than the Pi.

Something to do in hotels at least.
>>
>>930984
Not anon but links?
>>
>>936719
>>936719
eh piratebay all you like.

thepiratebay[dot]se/search/raspberry+pi/0/99/0

desu I haven't read anything XD
I like books with a lot of code samples and stuff, also fairly high level.
Some say Raspberry pi projects for the evil genius is good for kids.

CAVEAT: IDK where you live, you might get into trouble if you torrent stuff. do it over VPN if you live in the UK or Germany.
I live in the the "here be dragons land" of highwaymen and pirates.
>>
>>936719
eh piratebay all you like.

thepiratebay[dot]se/search/raspberry+pi/0/99/0

thepiratebay[dot]se/torrent/12851286/The_Official_Raspberry_Pi_Projects_Book__ndash__V.1__2015

thepiratebay[dot]se/torrent/9632228/Raspberry_Pi_Book_Collection

thepiratebay [dot]se/torrent/10278931/Ultimate_Guide_to_Raspberry_Pi_-_2014__UK

desu I haven't read anything XD
I like books with a lot of code samples and stuff, also fairly high level.
Some say Raspberry pi projects for the evil genius is good for kids.

CAVEAT: IDK where you live, you might get into trouble if you torrent stuff. do it over VPN if you live in the UK or Germany.
I live in the the "here be dragons land" of highwaymen and pirates.
>>
>>927918
You overestimate the pi,
>gigabit ethernet
Its limited to 100 Mbps, and if you are using usb devices both ethernet speed and usb will be cut back.
>>
>>937054
I think they meant to plug a gigabit adapter into the USB port and use that instead. The problems that many people had initially can be attributed to the crummy USB controller that flooded the CPU with interrupts. I know the RPF put a lot of effort into tracking that down, but can't remember how well it was fixed.
>>
>>937641
I didnt check the math, but it looks like you are right about their intentions.
As for the build of the rpi, I cant recall specifically and I dont care enough to check.. but I think the usb and the ethernet port use the same controller so that's why its speeds on everything are so shitty.
>>
>>937658
Well yeah, there is only 1 root controller and the LAN chip is actually a hub/LAN combo. That just means that 100Mb of the 480Mb USB bandwidth is shared with the LAN port. It's really not that big a difference. However, the USB implementation pushed off a lot of work to software. Under heavy load, it would start dropping USB packets, causing all sorts of fun.
>>
>>937688
>That just means that 100Mb of the 480Mb USB bandwidth is shared with the LAN port. It's really not that big a difference.
Thats basically what I remember reading.
So youre saying it would not drop lan packets, it only drops usb packets?
>>
>>926530
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi
>>
>>938746
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi

> Half the project links are dead links....

T-t-thanks...
>>
File: IMG_6230.jpg (113 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6230.jpg
113 KB, 1200x1200
I got a 3.5" TFT touch display and case for my Raspberry Pi 2b for Christmas (pic related) but I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do with it.

Any ideas on cool projects involving touch screens? The screen itself attaches to the GPIO pins as a shield, so I don't think I'll be able to use any of those with the screen connected, unfortunately.
>>
I got the zero one.

Made a small tin case and sticked it to my router.

Serves as a firstname@lastname mail server with webclient for me and my family.

It's pretty fucking good for that purpose, more than enough computing power to handle a mailserver, with small initial cost and minimal maintenance cost.

Would recommend.
>>
>>939175
I just looked closer, apparently I'll have access to some GPIO's because the shield only uses 26 of the 40 pins. Unfortunately, none of the remaining pins are power rails so I'll have to rig up a separate power supply for anything I want to control
>>
>>926530
I was thinking of using one as a silent low power music player. Raspian off the SD card, hifiberry digi+ to use the coax out to my Schiit stack. Rsync to push/pull my music library with my desktop.

Still not sure how to control it. I know of those wireless mouse+kb things, but I don't want two keyboards cluttering my desk if possible.
>>
>>940008

If you are putting it on a second monitor I use some software called Synergy that runs on a Pi and lets you share your keyboard and mouse across desktops.

It's not free but it works really well. It's simple to compile and run on a Pi, just google Synergy Raspberry Pi.

synergy-project.org
>>
>>940161
I tried using that years ago when it was free but never got it to work. Maybe they've fleshed it out by now.
>>
Is it worth buying pi zero?
>>
Well, this is great. I always want to ask things to /diy/ but I can't made up a good OP to ask for little things, so threads rarely fulfil my doubts.

Anyway, I want to start a few little proyects with a Orane Pi I will buy. I figured more of less what I want but I need a knowledge I don't have, so I hope /diy/ want to help me, thanks.

I want to try a sort of assistance with the OPi. Nothing fancy, just the OPi capable to recognize an do some thing, but I confront an issue.

I don't want my own microphone spying me, instead of it, I though if there's some piece of hardware that can recognize sounds, just sounds, and reaction to it. I remembered the infrared cameras in the WCs. They turn the light on when they recognize movement, but I'm sure it can't tell what movement it is.

So, my target is asking where can I search that kind of information, about little microphones and that kind of stuff and if its compatible with the OPi. I would like to know too how do you will do it, /diy/.

Sorry for the abd english and bad post.
>>
>>926530

I have one I was going to use to stream shit from my server but someone got me a chromecast and I figured out it did it out of the box if I gave up on ui customization and shit.

I have a freenas server already so most of the ideas I have for my pi are done better by a jail on that. (jail is like a halfway vm. They need to use the same kernal as the main freebsd system but are compartmentalized otherwise.) So things like owncloud rss reader and shit like that are already better done.

So now I have no idea what to do with the two pis I have. A pi zero and pi2b.

I was thinking of scraping an old lcd for parts and making a little calendar/whatever display in my kitchen. It could show a calendar synced with owncloud and maybe traffic conditions for when I leave in the morning.
>>
At the moment I'm trying to get mine to point at the ISS (or any other satellite I specify). The RaspberryPi is overpowered for this at the moment but I want later versions to have a web interface. The python code is spitting out the elevation and azimuth of the ISS relative to me but I'm struggling with controlling the servo from the RPi GPIOs. Will have keep messing around but it is getting annoying.
>>
>>931523
Not him but.. Size?
>>
I use my pi as a scanning and printing server
>>
>>940249
I feel you man. I bought a pi and everything I want to do is done so why bother?

Should really just learn to code on it or something
>>
>>941136

You aren't going to get very far if you give up just because "It's been done before".

Thats literally everything at this point.
>>
>>941136
If you could do things on Pi that no one else can do then it wouldnt be commercially available.
>>
>>931528
Probably in another year or so, sure.
>>934882
>>935694
Lakka's run practically everything up to 4th gen that I've thrown at it. Their own page states that some SNES games may run oddly, but I imagine that's going to be one of the more obscure in-cart processors. StarFox seemed fine. Only thing that outright choked for me was Cosmic Carnage on the 32X, oddly enough. Haven't bothered with anything 5th gen/GBA yet. So much nicer than Retropie's overblown bullshit. It also handled anything I played on it through Kodi after doing basic tweaks to advancedsettings.xml for the cache/buffer config.

Really the only things you have to do are not skimp on your SD card (get a class 10 or better) and set it to an appropriate Overclock.
>>
Webserver on pi 2. Want the URL?
>>
>>929565
It's ideal for Python because the GPIOs support a lot of typical Python projects and the community provides a lot of ideas and support.

It is not limited to Python, but for something like C++ you'd want a real SDK environment with a fast compiler. Shit's clunky.

It is also a great tool to experiment with remote administration, getting to know vi, and some Linux basics. To play with client/server interaction I don't think there's anything more useful than a Pi or 3.
>>
>>941757
>for something like C++ you'd want a real SDK environment with a fast compiler. Shit's clunky.
I'd hope you weren't developing either on the Pi itself.

You do your work on a real computer, and add a deploy step to your build process.
>>
>>939175
Ignore the touch screen, add a keyboard and turn it into a portable shitposting machine.
>>
>>929565

Okay I'll be the one to ask.

sauce / more/ id?

reverse image search doesnt yield alot for me.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (489 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
489 KB, 1200x1200
I own a Pi 2 and I have an Atmega328 Pro Mini on the way. Has anybody tried to connects these shits together with the GPIO and serial pins? The goal is to program the Arduino with the Pi without fucking with USB.
>>
>>942356
There are some tutorials on how to use the pi as a JTAG programmer for atmega chips and there is an abandonded github for programming fpga's with the pi

I know because its all I've been loking around for so i dont have to buy a programmer.

I'm positive its been done but I dont know how
good luck anon.
>>
>>941584
yeah!
>>
>>930993
I'm thinking about doing something similar for plant misting and humidifier for gecko cage. Looking forward to your post as I have no clue where to start.

Want to make the plant mister motion activated as well
>>
>>926530
why does this piece of shit keep corrupting sd cards, and how do I stop it?
>>
Not entirely related, so if there's a better thread to ask this in, please let me know.

I travel/visit friends and family a lot, and so minimizing space has become rather important to me but I'd like to still be able to have a decent method of gaming.

I'm looking for an sbc or similar that I can use as an easily portable retro/LAN device. Maybe StarCraft one, Crawl, that sort of thing as well as SNES, N64, whatever else really.
I'd also like to use it for movies, regular internet browsing, streaming, if possible.

Given all that, would you mind throwing out some recommendations/advice on what I should be looking for?
>>
>>943795
netbook
>>
>>943796
I do have a laptop, just curious if most of my wants could be met with something else. The cool factor of an SBC is also a plus.
>>
I've been meaning to try this for awhile, but I've been too busy lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBb8BN0dqoQ
>>
>>943805
you can get emulators up to N64 on a Raspberry Pi, but old PC games like SC1 won't work since it has a different architecture than what those games were made for, and emulating them would be too heavy for the Pi. I say get a Chromebook, upgrade the internal storage, and put linux on it. You might even be able to play newer games (here's someone running skyrim via wine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEqB0HDKW1w).
>>
>>943812
That's too bad, I thought I'd seen that some enterprising folks had reverse-engineered some popular old stuff like SC1 and Diablo 2.

This is the game, on Open Pandora I believe (my connection is shit right now so I can't double-check).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWnyDrNQO4

Would something like this be possible on a Pi or another single board?
>>
>>943818
I've never seen this before, that's pretty impressive.
Someone might have already ported this to RPi, but if not, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to since OpenPandora seems to have a similar CPU to the one in RPi. You will probably have to get your hands dirty with low level programming though.
>>
>>943824
Glad to show you something new. I've been out of programming for years, might be the motivation I needed to get back into it.

Gonna go do some Pi comparisons, getting onboard WiFi/SATA might be nice for the end goal of this project.
>>
>>926535
>raspberry pis
>supercomputer

Maybe you'll get to normal desktop tier at best.
>>
>>929680
>>929744
$9 computer + ~$12 shipping, won't get until June.

Borderline cockstarter scam too...
>>
>>943828
This guy again. A bit off-topic, but can anyone speak for/against the Banana Pi/Pro?

Has on board WiFi and SATA, which may make for a cleaner system, but I'm not really up to date on SBCs.
>>
>>939175
Where'd you buy the screen and casing for it?
>>
>>943860

I have two from the Kickstarter. They needed a firmware fix but they work alright other than the inconvenience of dealing with composite video.
>>
>>941210
>>941232
So what's the point? I'll just leave it to the experts
>>
>>944265

The point is to fill your own need with the tools that work.
>>
I'm using motion to stream a webcam from my Pi but it only runs for like 2 secs then cuts out. Anyone else mess with streaming video from a pi?
>>
>>944478
Might be a power situation. Look into getting a powered USB hub for the webcam and wifi adapter if you're using one.
>>
>>943692

Maybe you are buying junky SD cards? I have three and have never had an issue.
>>
>>943818
>>943824

Ok, I'm just going to see if it works following the OpenPandora set up later after work. I would love to have a "dedicated Starcraft machine."
>>
>>943879
my friend got it from Bangood
>>
>>930407
I have one
I installed two different distros, but when I connect it to a monitor, everything is purple
I still can see things, but everything is in a purple color
I don't know if it's damaged or if it's a software fault, but now I put it back on the shelf and don't do anything with it
>>
>>944486
I figured it out. Was just some setting I had to mess with in the config. I think it was that I had to set the motion detection was is on by default to 0 sec interval so it never turns off.
>>
>>926530
The sky is the limit my friend. My first Pi I configured to be a IP cam the you can access on the net with a simple login to view the live video feed. I'm trying to see if there is a way to speak thru a mic and have the audio come thru a speaker with the Pi but havent figured how to do that with VoIP... The second project was of course a retro gaming emulator with RetroPi. I'm configuring my 3rd Pi to be a Wifi Pineapple, and my fourth to be a cloud server. But I'm still working on those last two.
>>
>>944845
Oh btw the way they are all the raspberry pi 2 model B's.
>>
>>943795
They make a great retro gaming emulator for the Pi called "RetroPi". The Pi can play up to 5th gen console's (N64). You just have to download all the games offline and put them onto the Micro SD or better yet a external. They have the RetroPi download on the raspberry pi website.
>>
>>943795
And for your steaming my friend there is OpenELEC. Which runs KODI, a OS for streaming all media. look up the OS. the download for that is on the raspberry pi website as well under OpenELEC... But why are you on here? Just google Pi projects and most the cool standard ones the OS downloads are on the raspberry pi website itself.
>>
>>929565
Goddamn, if I could do it all over again. I would orient my life so that I could fuck as many bitches like that as possible. Sheeeeeeit....
>>
>>926530
Would you recommend learning ARM assembly with a Raspberry Pi? What kinds of things can you do with assembly that you can't do in C?
>>
>>944545

In case anyone is following, you can mount a .pnd file on the Pi and apparently some do work but I tried this finally last night and it didn't work to run Starcraft. I will probably try a few other things though later.
>>
>>926530
setting up mine for SFTP & mumble server
>>
I have one of the first pi's (B+) and I gotta say, for "computing" it's a piece of shit. The only thing (and I've stared at this thinking "How am I going to justify this $50 purchase) thing I can come up with is a low speed HOME SERVER. The power consumption on this is very low and makes it GREAT for home server applications. If you install no-ip and port forward your router, you can a nice home server. From there you can use it to interface with other shit on your network.

I was writing automation and web spidering scripts and planning on leaving them to run on the pi 24/7.

Other than that, I really have NO CLUE what to do with this trendy piece of shit.
>>
>>946017

2Edgy4Me
>>
>>945499
I've started an embedded systems class, and we're starting on the Arm Cortex M3.

We're probably not going to do a ton of assembly, but it's an interesting start:

http://www.sainsmart.com/new-nxp-arm-cortex-m3-lpc1768-development-board-3-2-tft-lcd-module-64kb-sram.html

The chip is one used in a lot of industrial stuff I guess. That one is 100mhz stock, has the touch LCD, a tiny joystick, 8 onboard LEDs, usb ports and shit. The last assignment is Tetris on the board, I'm thinking of getting the board and trying it early.
>>
This going to be a stupid question, but this thread might know:

Are there any wifi adapters for Windows that don't require a driver cd? Literally I just want a single wifi adapter I could use for testing and checking older computers without having to have a fucking lan cable or driver cd just to get them online. Obviously linuxes don't need custom drivers for most wifi adapters, but I'm curious if anyone came across any in their travels.
>>
File: 522637c6757b7f2b228b4568.png (110 KB, 1275x950) Image search: [Google]
522637c6757b7f2b228b4568.png
110 KB, 1275x950
>>942491
Looks like I just need to slap together a logic level converter. It seems to be a lot easier to get the two to talk to each other than I thought. The only part I had to order was the BSS138 mosfet.
>>
>>946017
I use mine to run a bunch of IRC shitbots.
>>
>>946479

Any tutorials or anything on this?
>>
File: 2day.png (2 MB, 1680x742) Image search: [Google]
2day.png
2 MB, 1680x742
>>930993
>>943394

Project almost finished, another week or two and i will start to publish it on github and my blog (first in italian, then in Eng)
>>
>>945499
>What kinds of things can you do with assembly that you can't do in C?

Well you just answered yourself, there's nothing you can't do in C that you can do in assembly. Its just that sometimes you need to eke out a few cycles more, or optimize something.

this is some example I found in a tutorial for X86 assembly:
<ex_strlen>:
# Main loop
83 c0 01 add $0x1,%eax
80 3c 02 00 cmpb $0x0,(%edx,%eax,1)
75 f7 jne 80483c2 <ex_strlen+0xe>

<glibc_strlen>:
# Main loop
f2 ae repnz scas %es:(%edi),%al

glibc strlen() function's main loop is just two bytes and one instruction, versus the strlen() if you put it in the gcc compiler, which offers 3 instructions.

If you need to churn out 1.000.000 strlen() functions while processing a large amount of data... And you don't wish to wait a few seconds more than you possibly could.
>>
>>946522
Molto bene!
>>
>>947445
>If you need to churn out 1.000.000 strlen() functions while processing a large amount of data... And you don't wish to wait a few seconds more than you possibly could.
Have you actually benchmarked that, or are you just guessing?

In a loop, all eight of those bytes will be hot in the instruction cache, and may well even decode to the same micro-ops.
>>
>>946518
It's just running Raspbian without the desktop environment and I SSH in when I need to fuck with shit. It already has Java and Python installed and apt-get install any other language you want. You just need to google around for bots other people have written and work out your own custom shitbot.
>>
>>926535
For that amount of money you could just slap together an old Xeon machine that would work better. It's an interesting idea though. Do it if you just want something to fuck with and not actually use for real work.
>>
Is it possible to desolderer the GPIO, Ethernet, and USB ports without breaking the PI? I'm trying to make VERY slim profile for portable gaming emulator. The only thing I need are the USB. I'd like to have that connected to thin enameled magnet wire so I can reposition it however I need and still use it. Is this as simple as it sounds or am I going to brick the thing and waste $30 bucks?
>>
File: 1450123248210.jpg (2 MB, 2645x1845) Image search: [Google]
1450123248210.jpg
2 MB, 2645x1845
>>947609
>is it possible to desolderer the GPIO, Ethernet, and USB ports without breaking the PI?
just get one without those ports
>>
I'm still waiting for my Orange Pi PC to arrive. They've just released two new models as well with even less support which is interesting.
>>
>>929565
>I don't want to hijack you're thread op
>posts ass
ok
>>
>>948218
Incidentally, not long after I posted this, my Orange Pi PC finally arrived. I put Lubuntu onto an SD card I had and booted it up. Thankfully it worked and I downloaded the right one. Unfortunately it won't work with an HDMI to DVI adapter without a bit of work. I can understand why people dislike it so much now.
>>
>>948283
what's wrong with assess? u homo brah?

>>947494
I'm fairly confident three instructions won't decode to the same micro-op, whatever that is. But I might just put both through the Netbeans profiler, see what happens. Its on ly TODO list.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 1030x728) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 1030x728
>>948888
>whatever that is
You probably shouldn't be talking about computer architecture if you don't know what a micro-op is, anon.

At least, not about computer architecture post-1996.
>>
>>948888
I haven't been bothered to check it again for ages, but at some point the most string instructions were actually slower than equivalent normal loops.
Well, at least they still have the size advantage.
>>
>>947795
Those are literally impossible to find now.
Lucky bastard.
>>
>>949890
dont want to create a whole new thread, but where to find pi zero ? its sold out everywhere
>>
>>949903

They will reach some saturation eventually. Don't all the new Pis end up like this?
>>
>>926530
I'm concidering trying to disguise a Raspberri Pi as a PSone, wondering if it would be possible to get the start button aswell as the controller ports to work with the Pi for glorious PS1 emulation
>>
>>949903

You may try eBay, they might be a bit more expensive there, but at least you can get one
>>
>>950039

I have no idea if Playstation Emulation works on a Pi but I use a USB to PS2 deal for my Pi with Retro Pi and I know where are guides for adding a power button to the Po using GPIO.
>>
>>944721
I actually just had that same problem.

Turns out you just needed to switch the monitor from RBG mode to YPbPr mode.
>>
The easiest project is making it into a basic webserver. Just search "rpi" webserver. Or use it similar to ardunoharm and use the I/0 pins
>>
File: atrix-lapdock-pi.jpg.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
atrix-lapdock-pi.jpg.jpg
195 KB, 1024x768
>>950039
I use a ps3 controller. It even works wirelessly if you got a bluetooth dongle.

Works great with my Atrix lapdock. Once turned on you can unplug the rasp pi and run it off the lapdock's internal battery, but it's barely enough volts and can be unstable. I got an external battery to supplement it and works great now. Portable PS1 gaming anywhere I wanna go. It's neat project but very convoluted and expensive. Cheaper to spend $11 for moga ace controller and run emulators on my iphone.
>>
You know what my dream projects are? I want to make either of these things, but I am a terrible retard.

I want to build a small, dedicated box for Mugen fights. I have the screen and the controller built, but from everything I can find, it is impossible to run Mugen on a Raspberry Pi. I want to be able to do SaltyBet type fights on a dedicated box powered by a Pi.

Either that or I want to make a Twitch Plays style box out of a Rasberry Pi.

It would pretty much be a Raspberry Pi connected to the internet and people could access a virtual controller on their phone to press buttons and a voting system would determine the button being pressed in the game.

Unfortunately, I only tinker as a hobby and have no training to make either happen. I try Google, but no one has a need for either of these projects so no one has done them.

I just love two things. Gambling on fights and goofy gameplay.
>>
>>951439

It sounds like the main thing holding you back is "does Mugen work on a Pi". I don't know the answer but it used to be Linux only wasn't it? Indo know you can do emulation on a Pi and some Win style emulators should work. I run an OpenSIM server on a Pi using Mono to run the exe files. I have no idea how well this will work with a graphical program though.

On the latter. That should be doable. I don't know how they work or even if it's the best method but off the top of my head with my knowledge...

Twitch runs on IRC protocols for its chat. What you would need to do is run an IRC program that sits in the channel chat and logs everything to a file.

On top of that, you would need a bash or maybe Python script to scan through and count all of the "Up"s and "Downs" over a period, maybe deleting the log each time. The output of the script would hit the emulator (not sure on how to do this).
>>
>>930407
Dont buy it its a crap i Had one... Linux works like shit no graphic acceleration
Android Yay graphic acceleration works but... Cpu is getting ultra hot after 5 minutes and omg there is no internet for android via Ethernet... I solid it and bought rpi2 ever with slower cpu its faster than orange pi pc
>>
Can you host a decent minecraft server on it?
>>
>>951684

I don't know about capacity because I used it for private use but I have a MC server on a PiB2. The older/weaker models I have heard don't have enough power. I had no major issues until I later started flying around and ot couldn't keep up.

Also I had an issue where my client would crash if I used maps, bit that may not have been Pi Related.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.