[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/. The concrete floor in this corridor sinking, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 20160106_180309[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_180309[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hello /diy/. The concrete floor in this corridor sinking, it's placed directly under compacted earth. I already opened everything and re-concreted 2 times but it keeps sinking. What should I do? The earth is very compacted and I'm not sure what is causing it to sink.
>>
File: 20160106_180605[1].jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_180605[1].jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Sorry didn't noticed that the photos were like this, my father took them. Here's another. It's the part near the wall.
>>
you need to cover it with another layer now and it wont sink because it has sunk already
>>
>>926002
move out
>>
>>926033
That's what I did the last time. Broke it and used the broken concrete so it won't sink. It's probably water that is causing the earth to move, but I don't think I can do anything about that. I thought about putting steel bars underneath but I'm not sure this would help.
>>
House has rain gutters?
>>
File: 0207s.jpg (42 KB, 751x563) Image search: [Google]
0207s.jpg
42 KB, 751x563
>>926002
you can't pour concrete on straight dirt and expected it to stay. pic related
>>
>>926002

Really to prevent that it should have been tied into the foundation with steel. So everything sinks together.

Now you have three choices

1 - dig up the whole thing and do it right
2 - patch work to hide the separation every now and then
3 - leave it as is. Because for fucks sake you have a toilet sitting right there so I am surprised that you even care about aesthetics.
>>
File: how to pour concrete.png (23 KB, 800x771) Image search: [Google]
how to pour concrete.png
23 KB, 800x771
>>926098
this
drill 2" angle steel into the foundation to be center of slab
weld 1/2 or 5/8 rebar to span the gap every 24"
place rebar every 12 along length

pour concrete
>>
>>926044
>It's probably water that is causing the earth to move, but I don't think I can do anything about that.

You probably can. Break up the old concrete, dig some trenches and put in proper drainage to intercept the ground water and divert it off to somewhere harmless. Then properly prepare ground and pour new concrete.
>>
>>926002
REPLACE THE CONCETE WITH MILLIONS OF PEBBLES
>>
>>926002
Probably the floor slab didnt rest on the compacted earth in the first place. I dont know whether your building is a two storey house or a highrise, but Im betting it uses a strip foundation for the house.

The outdoor pavement has been sinking, you need to dig the edge of pavement and make a proper strip foundation. And I dont know whether you live nearby lakes or swamp, you may need to turn the whole concrete slab into a raft foundation. Adding more and more layer of concrete wont help, since the normal reaction from the compacted ground isnt really compact.
You may need to get an expert on soil test or DIY for it.

Antoher theory would be the contractor went the cheap way and didnt put a moisture sheet below the slab and it cracks like crazy.
>>
Take out more earth and replace it with more aggregate not just shitty peice of old concrete, a good thick layer of dolomite or something similar, then compact it really good with a petrol whacker plate.

The first time you did it you might not have gone deep enough, so you dug a hole, compacted it, but deeper down its still loose, causeing it to sink again.
>>
File: IMG_0725.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0725.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Dig it down a minimum of 250mm, more if the ground is still shit. Build back up to within 100mm of finished level with well compacted stone. Compact in layers.

Lay 1000guage polythene, steel mesh on spacers, pour.
Pic related, just on a smaller scale.
ALeo, I'd recommend some sort of expansion joint along the edges touching the wall
>>
>>926631
What country is this? I have never seen the round chairs before.
>>
>All the replies telling him to do scientific shit or to do it right.
You niggas are dumb. If he had the money or time to do either, it would've been done.
OP, your best bet is >>926098 2 and 3.
Pour a new shitty layer every year or so. Eventually it might stop sinking.
>>
>>926637
Bongland.they come flat, you loop them then tie with wire. Tbh they're probably the best system I've used. If you're tight on cover you can stamp them down, opposed to the plastic crap that shatters and collapses.
>>
File: IMG_0731.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>926631
>>
>>926640
Op wants to fix the problem, your suggestions merely mask the problem to a later date. You dumb nigger
>>
>>926640
Nothing scientific about this>>926631
All materials avaliable from local builders merchants and any terminology he don't understand.....google
>>
It's sinkhole, you're gonna diiieeeeeee
>>
>>926646

Well that isn't going to work. Concrete will fall right out of that.
>>
File: DSC_4850.jpg (232 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4850.jpg
232 KB, 1600x1071
>>926065
this
>>926098
wut no

soil, like all materials is a composite material. consider for example, concrete not as pourable stone, but as a matrix for holding water. water is stronk. its just that people dont like to think of it like that. soil expands as it absorbs moisture. then contracts when it dries. many cycles of this expanding and contracting causes a cavity to form under the concrete. now what you have is a bowl that collects water, accelerating the process. you need to consider drainage. drainage wont stop the problem. it will slow it down. but for all intents and purposes, it will slow the process down to the point where it wont happen again for another 50 years. think of it like paint. paint that lasts 50 years is preddy gud paint. but everyone knows that old paint will flake. so your goal, first and foremost, is to reduce the duty cycle of the expansion and contraction. make it so that water cannot pool in the area.

>no drain at all
even just installing a proper drain channel along the edge of that path will dramatically reduce the water that can pool in that area. hell, you can use a piece of PVC pipe as a form, do as you are going to do and re-lay the concrete but this time, half submerge a piece of pvc pipe along the edge in the concrete then remove after a day. now you have somewhere for the water to go.
>>
>>926717
Heh.
>>
>>926722
Your thought processes make me moist.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.