[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a workstation this year.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151216_142602.jpg (122 KB, 961x564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151216_142602.jpg
122 KB, 961x564
What components should I be going after this year? Idk if I should wait for new components that are releasing this year? Or just what's already out. Also I already have a case (gt 10)
>>
>>923262
Probably a hard drive, video card, power supply. You know. The usual stuff.
>>
Nothing that is going to get released is going to be heaps better then the ones out now. we hit a slow period in development of new microprocessors. Until the next big breakthrough in production they are all the same quality pretty much.
>>
>>923262
An actual workstation or just something that you'll be running games on?
>>
>>923262
what are you intend to do on that PC?
You dont need much if you intend to work on your right hand skills with the "leather tool".
>>
You say workstation, so I assume you intend to do badass 3D shizzle with it.

This being the case, I'd definitely wait on the 16nm Pascal generation Nvidia cards (it will be heaps better than Maxwell). No shame in going with a geforce for most applications these days (+ good for gaming).
Further advice:
- Get a solid power supply (atleast 750 Watt in case of multiple GPU's)
- SSD bootdrive (256-512 gb)
- If you haven't got one yet, invest in a good NAS with RAID for external storage
- get some nice case airflow going and fit a third party air cooler (do some research for a decent model) and OC the CPU a bit. Hitting 4ghz should be child's play these days. But it's your workstation so don't overdo it, reliability is king.
- Get a 4k monitor (@60Hz)
>>
>>925262
>node shrink this year to 14nm FinFet
>pascal, polaris and arctic islands around the corner
>Zen to be released later in 2016
>VR becoming a consumer thing, stimulating GPU technologies
>nothing new

These might be another dissapointment, but they also may be fucking sweet.

OP you can only benefit from waiting until later this year. New manufacturing process may actually yield something that is more than 5% improvement and if not, you will benefit from older stuff going on sale because of "obsolescence".
>>
>>926577
Hdmi 1.4/120hz uhd when
>>
>>926618
>hdmi
>not DP

anon...
>>
>>926792
I wish DP would just fuck off.

Like we need another stupid VHS/Beta, HDDVD/Bluray or ES/BNC.

DP controllers can emulate HDMI; let's use that capability to do away with DP devices once and for all.
>>
>>926809
in that case hdmi better fuck off
>>
>>926809
DP is superior.
>>
>>926916
>>926809
>>926792
What's wrong with double penetration?
Is that even allowed on /diy/?
>>
>>926867
>>926916
No it's not. It's substantially the same thing, except more hipster.

There is nothing it can do that HDMI can't, and no reason to use it other than to be different. It's an annoying also-ran, and the sooner the legacy hardware that needs it dies, the sooner we can move on.
>>
>>926939
First HDMI is proprietary, so you need to pay if you want to put it in to the device. On the other hand DP is free.
Second it used to to have build in DRM (that has been cracked)
IT also does not support multiple display on single connector like DP does.
And it technically does not have any advantages over Display Port.
>>
>>926939
T O L D
O
L
D

>>926952
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.