[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ I need a bit of help. I had recently got into an accident
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
Hi /diy/ I need a bit of help.

I had recently got into an accident in my 2006 kia Spectra 5. Instead of spending a shit ton of money for someone else to fix it my father decided I should do it. I wasn't going to object because I enjoy doing these sorts of things and my dad was going to pay for all of it. I fixed my car as well as upgraded a few parts here and there and painted it, all in all I had a ton of fun with it and picked up car repair and tuning as a bit of a hobby.

After this adventure, if you can call it that, I have decided I want to put together a car piece by piece or fix up a trashed car from Craigslist. I want something that I can heavily modify to make my own, as well as something that has a lot of horsepower and can't make my mind up.

What do you guys think of this? Should I go 'junkyarding' and make a car piece by piece, possibly a Nissan skyline or something as equally exotic, or should I go and buy a trashed car when a good one comes up? (Fully aware that the skyline is illegal in the US, but frankly I couldn't care less. I can bring it up to spec or just discise it as an altima or something.)

Thanks guys!
>>
I fully support you can't have no in your heart, life's a garden dig it.
>>
>>923092
Was asking which way I should go, I'm definitely doing it either way haha
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (124 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
124 KB, 1440x960
>>923049
if you're in US, you won't find a skyline. Since you seem to be inclined to Asian market vehicles, here's my picks if I had money to throw around:
If what you want is to learn and constantly upgrade, improve, maintain, dismantle and reassemble may I suggest a GTO/3000GT/Dodge Stealth or a Mazda RX7/Rx8. All can be picked up for cheap when not running and have new things you may not have found in your Kia. They will not be cheap to get running, but fun.
However, my best and most reasonable advice would be a Miata/MX5. Simple. cheap. Tons of aftermarket and support, fun as fuck.
Also, learn to walk away from something that is too far gone.
>>
>>923998
He won't find a 34 in the states. However, there are legal skylines in the states now.
>>
Tons of R32, R33's in Canada. So many that they are not cool anymore, but I digress...

My advice is to start with something that is complete and runs, that you can learn from. If you start this hobby with a wreck, you will grow old trying to figure out what you need, or what that part is even called (if you are that green).
>>
File: 00d0d_GdcAwBRxL7_600x450[2].jpg (25 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_GdcAwBRxL7_600x450[2].jpg
25 KB, 337x450
>>924002
How many of those do you think need fixing up? Hell, even the R32 is still not popular even after last year. I looked into bringing mine this coming year and it looks like a complete mess. for the price, his best bet is something that won't have Rice & the Furious tax to go along with an already expensive hobby. Op hasn't told us his budget, but I'll assume that a $15k + car won't be in it if if he's also planning on 'mods' and other things.
E30's aren't a bad choice either. They have a special appeal.
Also, please tell me you at least can drive a manual vehicle, OP.>>923049
>>
>>923049
Just know that you will spend a fortune, and never get a return on your investment. And just like your Kia, you can quickly wreck and ruin tens of thousands of dollars in seconds.

You are better off buying someone elses money pit for pennies on the dollar, because a ton of people start projects and realize they have dumped too much money on it and need to rid themselves of the car.

Turning a wrench for maintenance is much different than what you are talking about OP.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.