[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
career as electrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
sup /diy/. milfag here, ive been planning on getting out at the end of my contract but dont know for sure what i want to do when i grow up.
ive been thinking about doing something like electrician, because electricity and electronics are hobbies of mine, and id rather do 1-2 years of trade school instead of 4+ years of college. i cant stand being in regular school so im pretty sure i wont do well, and im more of a hands on guy anyway.
any electricians care to chime in on how they like/dislike it? if the are happy with their career choice or not? tips, tricks, or anything else worth mentioning? thanks!
>>
There are a lots of different kinds of electricians jobs. You can work in a factory repairing and replacing stuff. Working in construction can be physically hard but can pay well if you are in the union in the USA. Had a high school friend who worked for GE and traveled all over the world working on generators on dams. After working as an electrician for a few years I decided to do sound and video which is a low voltage electricain. The work has been interesting but I probably would have made more money being a union construction electricain. For me work needs to be interesting and sound, video and control systems had been fun. I've got about 6 years till I retire and I don't regret picking my hobby for a career.
>>
>>922708
Interesting. It's just a thought so idk what I would try to specialize in at this point, but the different specialties all seem interesting at least
>>
>>922695

Don't. It turns you in to a self righteous prick who thinks the world and everyone in it revolves around electricians. And it's boring.
>>
>>922708
>I've got about 6 years till I retire and I don't regret picking my hobby for a career.

how old are you?
>>
>>922695

I actually just finished my apprenticeship.

The whole thing takes about five years here, no idea about where you are.

Anyway as a first year apprentice you can expect to be the bitchboy on the jobsite. You will fetch shit from the van, get coffee from the roach coach and do the shittiest work. Apprentices are cheaper than trenching machines as well so expect to do a lot of digging. You'll get to explore shitty crawlspaces on your belly and dig through blown in insulation to install millions of potlights.

Once you're a journeyman though you can specialize into what you actually enjoy, it's a very diverse trade.

Also, don't look for the wire stretcher.
>>
>>922695
If you are looking for an awesome 2 year program take a look into mechatronics. It's a combination of electrical, electronic, robotics, automation, programing and some mechanical stuff. It's a newish and emerging feild that will take a giant dump on future industrial electrician opertunities. I graduated 1 1/2 years ago and was making 25/hr out of college and am now making 27.50/hr in a different factory. I love where I work, but could easily get a job with any industrial company that I want. Not that I'm special, just that the program is so good.
>>
>>922695
Low voltage electrical business owner here. Fire alarm, security alarm, access control, and etc. Good line of work. Non-union journeyman usually pulls $25-$35 depending on the experience. I'd MUCH rather go through the 2 years for an 06 license than the 4 years for an 01. Work is MUCH easier and is much more technical. feel free to ask any questions. Washington state btw.
>>
>>922803
haha in my contractor-related apprenticeship I spent half an hour looking for the lumber-stretcher before I thought about it.
>>
>>922886
Also there is no apprenticeship. And the nice thing too is that industrial companies typically have great benifits too.
>>
>>922886
Are you from the US? Here, mechatronics is a field of engineering rather than a trade (not trying to bash, just interested in the terminology).
>>
>>922695
US navy?
>>
op here, been busy so forgot to reply. also newyears drunk so dont mind if i sound a little retarded.

>>922748
why do you say that?

>>922803
i was consdering the classroom time, not the actual on the job time.
yeah, i figured that being the bitchboy would be the case but its really whatever, being in the military has prepaired me for that lol.

>>922886
sounds intresting, ill have to look into it

>>922902
sounds intresting. like i said, newyears drunk so i can barely type let alone form a question about a career.

>>922922
>>922803
sounds like getting an exhaust sample or a box of grid squares

>>923064
no, army
>>
>>923031
Yep, I'm from the US and you are right, i wouldnt call it a "Trade." There are engineering degrees here for it and also (more popular) tech degrees. I went the two year route.
>>
>>922695
I went to uni and done pharmaceutical sciences. Currently work in construction because I fucking love the work. Went out for a summer doing commercial roofing and abolutely loved it. Now fitting out offices in London. My work is like being in school again in a way because I'm learning new skills every day. Except it's not like being in school because I make a decent wage doing it. Only thing I might fall back on pharmaceuticals, but for the foreseable future I'm happy in construction.
>>
>>923108
>sounds like getting an exhaust sample or a box of grid squares

Chem light batteries and blinker fluid.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.