[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homemade Forge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: drink the bleach.jpg (134 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
drink the bleach.jpg
134 KB, 600x400
Hey there /diy/
I decided I wanted to start learning about Blacksmithing and Metallurgy. I plan on taking a shop or basic welding class, but I figure the best way to learn would be to actually practice out in the backyard whenever I'm feeling creative.

I saw a great video on how to build a powerful forge out of simple homemade parts, it looks it'd be a great starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQN7EqGMTuo

Is anyone on here familiar with working on a forge, or putting one together? It looks like a lot of fun, and it has the potential to make a lot of money.
>>
>>921798
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7zIhzAggI
I use this because i hate propane and haven't had a piece of metal i couldn't heat up enough..
>>
>>921807
This looks great. It looks a lot less expensive than the propane furnace. What kind of metals are you working with? I'm just planning on working with Aluminum first.
>>
>>921811
All kinds spikes, leaf springs, rebar, I've done 01 and a little stainless. And stainless only gave me trouble when I would use charcoal but when I threw in actual coal it didn't give me any trouble.
And down here it cost me 40 to make.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g
>>
File: rocket stove idea.png (41 KB, 1073x724) Image search: [Google]
rocket stove idea.png
41 KB, 1073x724
it is also quite possible to heat with renewable fuel
>>
>>922007
Yep. although depending on the metal, it may be necessary to make a charcoal retort and cook wood into charcoal first. (Yes, I know it's actually burning it in a reducing atmosphere and not just heating it to allow self contained endothermic chemical reactions, but IMA CALL IT COOKING ANYWAY)
>>
>>921798
I've been learning how to blacksmith with wood, I'm in Georgia so wood is easy to come by free. Once the first few pieces are reduced into coals you can add 1 to 2 pieces on top of the metal you are working in the fire.
>>
This thread is of interest to me. I've been wanting to get into sand casting for a while. Don't know what metal I'd use though.

Would bits of lead be good to practice on (because it can be melted on a cooker) for starters?
>>
>>922787
pewter is safer.
(most pewter is tin with a small amount of copper, nowadays).

lots of people have an absolute fit at use of lead, and frankly, its over-hyped. if you're not growing still, and you're not eating it, its not particularly dangerous, but its still a heavy metal and does carry health risks, so using a safer metal is far more sensible if you can.
>>
>>922787
Aluminum's not bad because you can find it in a lot of places and it's way easier to melt than steel.
>>
File: 20151122_161545.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151122_161545.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
I've done this with a few of my friends and we did aluminum and it worked great. We didnt use that tutorial we used this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g
and it worked great ill include some photos of the end products we made
>>
File: 20151122_150709.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151122_150709.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>923913
another one
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.