[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a fuggin idiot and need help with a circuit breaker....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Jtecul.jpg (11 KB, 238x295) Image search: [Google]
Jtecul.jpg
11 KB, 238x295
I'm at work on my own and I put the kettle and the toaster on at the same time and then the power stopped and the tv isn't working and neither are the other appliances.

I figured I'd just turn the circuit breaker but I go to the box and nothing is distinctly turned off, I've never seen this box before so I don't know what to look for out of the ordinary...
>>
>>921612
Breakers don't flip very far when the pop. Your pic looks like a 220. Check the single 110 breakers, most likely a 15 amp. That if you're on an American AC system. Try to label them as you figure them out for next time. By checking, I mean flip them off, then flip back to on.
>>
>>921617

kek dw just fixed it, the power brick itself had an overload protection which I overlooked because I'm an inept mothefucker, ty for the reply
>>
>>921612
Is this a 120v fag problem? I've never had that problem with 240v.
>>
>>921617
>By checking, I mean flip them off, then flip back to on.
inb4 he turns off lifesupport for an entire wing and the surge back on fries all of them.

inb4 "life support has battery backups and wont fry from a minor surge"
>>
>>921612
If the power system you're connected to has poor discrimination, it's possible that a breaker further up the stream may have tripped, effectively isolating your breaker box from another larger distribution board or something.

Can you tell us a bit more about the type of building/ power system where you work?
>>
>>921781
>>921618
Oh nevermind
>>
>>921757

220v normal residential here.

Shit trips all the time if overloaded or has line issues.

It has nothing to do with the voltage unless a voltage drop is what kicks up the amperage. The amperage is what trips a breaker.
>>
>>921757
It's mostly a big problem in houses with old wiring that can't handle all the amperage from multiple household appliances running at once.
>>
>>921793

Overloading wiring and overloading a breaker yield 2 drastically different results
>>
>>921800
One is the result of proper electrical design, while the other is the opposite
>>
>>921800
When I mean old wiring, I'm also referring to the panel with like four 15 amp switches for the entire house that throw if you even look at them wrong, like my parents' house.
>>
File: 1444602702455.jpg (49 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
1444602702455.jpg
49 KB, 541x498
>>921618
>dw just fixed it

>>921757
>>921761
>>921781
>>921782
>>921788
>>921800
>>921793
>>921812
>>921814

>dw
>just
>fixed
>it
>>
>>921820
Welcome to the after-party, friendo.
>>
>>921814

>TFW the breaker to my tool room still uses fuses
>>
>>921618
>the power brick itself had an overload protection
>the power brick
wtf?

>>921820
Is there a back traced story on this? Gives me a bit of a semi for some reason.
>>
>>921837

I assume he means strip.
>>
it's called a power bar, niggers.
>>
>>921820
what the fuck is "dw", quit making shit up faggot.
>>
>>921757
Does it even matter if you use the voltage incorrectly?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.