[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roof Leaks are bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: bullshitness.jpg (70 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
bullshitness.jpg
70 KB, 540x720
Hey diy i never come to useful parts of 4chan, but im a young renter and we have a big roof leak that was fixed and 2 weeks later came back much much worse. What do?
>hole poking out of ceiling
>ceiling sags
>wall have big brownish spots of dicoloration
>carpets gross

how severe is this?
>>
Enough that you should be calling your landlord. Again.
>>
>>921419
Also if there is snow on the roof. Might have an ice damn forming
>>
Open it up ASAP for mold remittance.
>>
>>921418
>im a young renter

Call landlord to demand that it be fixed. If the problem keeps happening, call the city.
>>
>>921418
If you can get to the roof, then get to it and post pics of the trouble spot. Maybe there's an easy fix we could recommend.
>>
>>921434
And after grabbing picture, put a tarp or a big sheet of tyvek over the spot, preferably one long enough to go over the crown, down the slope and over the hole.
>>
>>921418
+1 to calling landlord to fix this shit.

Don't be afraid of "bothering" him/her because them renting to you, is their job or part of their job. if they cannot fix it right.. it becomes a mold problem, and a mold problem becomes a health problem, and a health problem becomes a county/state problem.
>>
>>921418
since you're renting, call your landlord
>>
>>921434
>>921435
Don't do this. You are a renter and are not responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the property. Additionally anything that you do can be used as evidence against you for the landlord charging you for damages "caused" by your actions.

Sure, putting a tarp over the spot might not seem like much trouble, but unless your landlord asks you, or gives you permission to do it, then they can take you to court over costs of repair. You aren't likely to have to pay for something if the judge is reasonable but the time and effort fighting it isn't worth it.

>sauce: I'm a landlord with over 80 individual properties and apartment buildings.

You call me to fix the problem so that I don't have to fix anything you might screw up on the advice of an anonymous message board. It's MY property, not yours.

Furthermore, as a landlord I'm also acutely aware of the shit that some less honest slumlords get down to in an effort to milk every penny they can from their tenant. So this advice is more to protect you than the property owner.

You have certain rights and obligations as a renter, and under the law you are also freed from many other obligations like being responsible for municipal code violations.
>>
Make landlord fix it. Aside from the structural integrity of the building being compromised, moisture in wall cavities and ceilings will lead to the dreaded black mold.
>>
In addition to the repeated (good) advice to call your landlord, take lots of pictures now, maybe even some holding up a card with today's date.

More documentation is always better when it comes to rentals. My college landlord jewed me out of a thousand dollar deposit because he made up a bunch of bullshit about things that were "damaged" in a 120-year old victorian that was pretty rightly fucked even before I moved in. Small claims would have been open-and-shut if I had proof.
>>
>>921653
DO THIS! Former landlord and tenant here. Anon is wise! Timestamp your pics.

Don't fuck with shit that isn't yours. Leave it alone, document and call landlord NOW.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.