[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This piece of shit DLINK DIR-615 keeps overheating and causes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
This piece of shit DLINK DIR-615 keeps overheating and causes the admin panel to freeze for several minutes. I'm planning to throw some raspberry pi heatspreders on it.

What parts of the router do the actual work and need the heatspreaders the most?

>Pic related
>>
bmp.bmp
>>
>>920191
Readthefuckingsticky.fuckface
>>
>>920190
>turn it on
>see what gets hot
you are a silly guy op
>>
put it in water and turn it on, the places where water boils are hotter.
>>
Just throw that pos away
>>
File: IMG_3745.jpg (51 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3745.jpg
51 KB, 800x533
bruh
>>
>>920190
>What parts of the router do the actual work and need the heatspreaders the most?

The parts that get hot. I feel like I've been trolled into answering in a troll thread.
>>
>>920190
That model has high power antenna for increased range. You want to attach a heat sink around the length of the antenna if you can. Aluminium foil works well as aluminium has great thermal conductivity and the large surface area will dissipate heat quickly to the ambient air
>>
>>920243
u fucker
>>
File: IMG_20150730_200135800.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150730_200135800.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Put an old fan in it.

Make a hole and fix it with screws.

Clean it often.

Next time don't buy D-Link, it's trash.
>>
>>921280
Ah, solder the fan wires in the power input. 12V fans work with a bit less.

Point it to force air inside. Peace.
>>
>>920190
>>920190
They don't overheat because they're shit. They overheat because they are running at 100% ram usage. This in turn causes the CPU to run at max power, at 100% load. Routers with so little ram were intended for simpler times when torrents, online games and streaming didn't exist. And when home internet speeds were <5mbps. It's only for using a laptop to load webpages which is all it was ever needed for. New applications will open over 100 simultaneous connections and keep them open. With so little ram, this was intended for 30 or so max.

Also, fucking chinkypoo ddos attacks drive me nuts.

Either only use it for consumer use or upgrade to ubiquitous or mikrotik or Cisco with 64mb of ram minimum.
>>
>2015
>not building your own more powerful router with a spare computer and several NICs
>>
>>921337
>They overheat because they are running at 100% ram usage.
This is what some people actually believe.
>>
>>921359
So what is it then , genius?
>>
Rev A1?
Try throwing DD-WRT on that bitch first of all.

If that doesn't fix it, *then* try putting a heatsink on.
>>
>>921359
>what is a ddos and how does it work?
The router is just so shit the same thing that happens during a ddos attack happens to it under normal opperating loads. When you overload a router with network requests, it gets forced to drop tasks its currently performing to take up new ones. Then it has to deal with
>y u no respond?
Messages so it didn't really save itself any ram. This in turn leads to a cascade of increasingly shitty internet until you reset the router.

>be working in IT store
>faggot cheapass faggots buying consumer grade equipment for office
>trying to connect over 100 clients to shitty belkin router
>brings back router every week, demands replacement
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.