[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hover Vehicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: hover-bike.jpg (93 KB, 640x402) Image search: [Google]
hover-bike.jpg
93 KB, 640x402
So if this already exists, why can't we all come together and create our own version instead of waiting 2 years and paying 80,000 dollars?
>>
Because the parts are probably expensive and require greater engineering knowledge to assemble than is available on a diy forum. You aren't going to get a bunch of shit from your local hardwear store and make a hovercraft u nerd lmao
>>
>>920150
They just aren't efficient enough to be practical. Fuel is heavy, and anything that uses ground effect uses a lot of fuel to stay airborne; physics, unfortunately, works, and in this case it works against you.
>>
>>920150
Noise pollution.
>>
>>920155
you can use metal, fans, motors, handle bars for it that arent even expensive at all
>nerd
>when you are on a diy board when this is a diy topic
kill yourself
>>920157
wouldn't you only need such a small amount of fuel and have the fans powered by the motor?
>>920164
I wouldnt mind the loud fans at all, i would most likely wear hearing protection.
>>
>>920169
Well then why the fuck haven't you built one?
>>
why don't we make motorcycles that are louder and more dangerous, the two most important downsides of motorcycles?
>>
upscale small drone tech. Boom you have what you want. Oh yeah it will cost around 15k to be sweet enough to mention...
>>
File: Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior 3.png (1 MB, 1197x809) Image search: [Google]
Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior 3.png
1 MB, 1197x809
>>920150
You mean a ultra-low flying quadcopter capable of carrying a human being?

Fucking easy. Not very practical in any regard. You may as well make one that flies normally. The instant you life off the ground any distance, like in that pic, you may as well just go flying because there's no reason not to.

Also, that thing in your pic isn't a hovercraft. It is more akin to a helicopter than a hovercraft. A hoverfract is ultra easy to make. You can convert a shopvac into a hovercraft and many people have done that over the years. Professionally, people use a hovercraft dolly for moving heavy things around using only a small air pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Roberts-10-480-Hovercraft-Air-Lifting-Appliances/dp/B0026SYR0I

>Lift air flow for a hovercraft is contained in a skirt, which is a flexible material enclosure surrounding the exterior edges of the craft. Hovercraft achieve lift in part by spreading out the weight to be lifted over a large enough skirt area to allow air pressure to overcome the pressure from the weight. For example, if the total weight to be lifted is 500 pounds and the area of the craft is 100 square feet, the overall pressure of the weight would be 5 pounds per square foot (500 pounds divided by 100 square feet).

>Since there are 144 square inches in a square foot, there would need to be approximately 0.035 pounds per square inch air pressure to lift the total weight of 500 pounds (5 pounds per square foot divided by 144 square inches). Because the air pressure needed is so low, the hovercraft remains one of the more efficient ways to lift weight using air.

Then there are the 1000s of hovercraft used in swamps all the time for decades now.

No sir, you don't want a hover vehicle. You want a copter of some sort that resembles a bike. How about settling for something simpler and safer and fully DIY, by making your own Autogyro (pic.)
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 263x191
>>920313
>The instant you lift off

fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2N3Zaqp0s
>>
>>920150
Because it turns out that physics is a thing, and it's kind of bitchy.
>>
>>920420
It is more complicated to get jet airliners to fly than to make what the OP wants. It just isn't wanted enough to make it economically feasible.
>>
The biggest obstacle is the custom made parts like the impellers and housing. That's not something you just throw together from premade stuff.
>>
I'd rather have a beercraft than a hovercraft

https://youtu.be/VpW_B9NHwaQ
>>
File: Hiller flying platform.jpg (520 KB, 1576x2000) Image search: [Google]
Hiller flying platform.jpg
520 KB, 1576x2000
>>920485
>The biggest obstacle is the custom made parts like the impellers and housing. That's not something you just throw together from premade stuff.
http://www.multi-wing.com/
These are designed for high-power industrial/HVAC ventilation, but they're popular with racing hovercraft builders and proven capable of absorbing 100 HP or more.

Ducts are easy enough (if somewhat tedious) to make using foam-core fiberglass construction. Like a surfboard. I did it for my hovercraft.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRinJLoAy3A
>Skip to around 12:30, 22:00 and 24:00

The real challenge with a project like this is to make it powerful yet light enough to hover out of ground effect. The Hiller Flying Platform needed 80 horsepower and weighed 370 pounds plus the rider. Assuming it didn't impose too much weight larger-diameter fan would help too, since, well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_loading#Power_required
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.