[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/. Need some help with a project. I have a small off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: listen.jpg (10 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
listen.jpg
10 KB, 273x184
Hey /diy/. Need some help with a project. I have a small off grid solar system. No power on the property. A am a little strapped for cash, the problem i have is the battery is to large for the the solar array and its not getting a regular full charge. I ran a generator for 10 hours and used a dumb charger. It helped a lot and the battery has recovered somewhat. I can add another charge controller. The problem is thats fucking expensive. I need 120-130 amps going in an hour for 3 hours for a proper equalize stage. I cannot find a single source online of a high amp dumb charger thats that big. Highest i found was 55 amps i got at work and the shit burnt out in a day (returned it) and regulated chargers are designed for smaller standard cells like golf cart batteries and marine cells. The voltages are to low and they never fully charge let alone an equalize option. So i thought of an alternator. Same problem, they are regulated to low, but i found out i can use a rheostat and control the regulator, tricking it into thinking the voltage is lower than it is. Problem is I dont know a ton about them.
Will it still push out the current at 16 volts?
Is 16 volts hard on the alternator?
How do i control the amperage? I need constant current and constant voltage for a proper equalize. Thoughts?
Also most important, how large of an engine do i need to drive 120-130 amps? How large to that its not straining? I figure I will need a larger ALT since they don't put out a full rated amount till high speed. I don't want it screaming and hot.
>>
bump, so far it looks like 100 amps is about what a 6.5 hp engine can drive. I'd like to drive it without making the engine scream though.
>>
>>919739
This is neat. Keep an eye on this thread. I'll be back in a bit
>>
bmp.
>>
desperate bump.
>>
>>919707

Please goive details of battery. We need to know the voltage, how many batteries and how they are wired - in serial or parallel. We also need to know the capacity (the amp hours rating).

Similar information about your battery charger is also necessary.
>>
>>922388
1064 AH at the 20 hour rate.
12 volt nominal.
6 volt cells in series.
The manufacturer says for a proper equalize I need 120 amps at 16 volts. Basically fork truck cells. Each cell weighs 86 lbs.
Currently have them on a dumb charger trying to get them charged but i dont have the money for a high amp charger. Its "55 amps" which is horse shit, it runs maybe 40 minutes and the thermal breaker kicks in. Puts out 30 amps, on the 20 amp setting 15.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/s1-dy1420
Thats my charger, didnt get it there though.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.