[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Longevity of solar panels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Solar-Panel-1.jpg (49 KB, 539x650) Image search: [Google]
Solar-Panel-1.jpg
49 KB, 539x650
Hello all,

I know PV panels degrade and quit after many years in the sun.

What's the longevity of PV panels that are unused and stored inside? In theory, could they last for a hundred years?
>>
>>919220
Seals will break, moisture will get in, stuff will fall apart.

I give it 7yrs of life in storage.
>>
>>919245
They last upwards of 20 years in use!!
>>
>>919276
Can confirm for panels of that era. That said who knows how the panels of today will last in the future. I have one working that is over 25 years old.
>>
>>919280
Further to that I have seen some less than 10 years old fail because of the backing material disintegrating.
>>
>>919282
what would cause that? general weathering? Would a cover prevent that?
>>
>>919284
Sun light which comes mostly from the front. Putting a cover over that side defeats the purpose. I am talking about the white sheet on the back of the cells which is visible between them and holds them in place.
>>
>>919290
yes i know thats what i am talking about. would a cover on the back with an air gap inside help?
>>
>>919309
Won't help with light from the front or release of heat. The hotter they are the worse they works so its not ideal.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.