[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to make a small, hinged box for my girlfriend.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: index.jpg (41 KB, 644x859) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
41 KB, 644x859
I'd like to make a small, hinged box for my girlfriend.

So far, it's just a few pieces of 3 ply with the bottoms glued to the base with a PSA. I used these because I work at a flooring adhesive factory and it's what's on hand. The sides aren't glued though (and 3 ply isn't very strong), so I was thinking about putting a layer of primer on top of it to hold it together more, and then painting on top of that. Unfortunately, this stuff has some ragged edges from cutting, and I'm guessing I'll need to sand it too.

What is the most efficient approach from where I am currently to a painted, stable, hinged box?
>>
>>919076
I would ditch the PSA and go for wood glue and a miter joint for the sides. Use wood filler or Spackle to fill in the rough edges and sand smooth. Depending on the roughness of the ply, you may want to fill and sand smooth the rest of the surfaces as well. Prime heavy, sand, paint, clear coat, admire.
>>
What does a shittily made plywood box say as a gift?
>>
>>919076
Op glue isn't gonna hold your "girlfriend" in the box for very long. She will eventually chew through the sides.
But if you really have to use glue and not screws, make finger joints and put it together.
Use a rasp to round out the sides and corners, a file to smooth it out a bit more and finally sandpaper.
Now the paint job depends of the finish you want. Do you want it to look like old varnished wood work? Or like a cheap Chinese plastic box?
>>
File: n9etdRp.jpg (996 KB, 3110x2074) Image search: [Google]
n9etdRp.jpg
996 KB, 3110x2074
>>919083

I'm going to gussy it up, and it's going to have another nice present inside.

I'd like to use nicer wood, but that saw is really old and dull, and I'm worried it wouldn't be able to cut through anything other than engineered stuff.
>>
>>919103
If it can cut plywood, then it can cut oak or maple or thin mahogany
>>
>>919103
If it can cut plywood, then it can cut oak or maple or thin mahogany
>>
>>919076
Bevel mitre joints would be neater and give more surface area for glue.
>>
File: 188563-438x.jpg (34 KB, 438x327) Image search: [Google]
188563-438x.jpg
34 KB, 438x327
>>919076
opea make a bandsaw box instead

https://drunkenwoodworker.com/how-make-bandsaw-box

you can even do puzzle boxes this way pic related
>>
File: 188559-438x.jpg (29 KB, 438x327) Image search: [Google]
188559-438x.jpg
29 KB, 438x327
>>919980
assembled
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.