[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I watched a video the other day to learn how to forge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Hey guys, I watched a video the other day to learn how to forge a basic knife out of steel. The problem is the guy used a belt sander to make the bevel on the knife. I have all the tools and ability to make the blade, but I don't know anyone who has a belt sander and I can't afford to buy one. Does anyone have some sort of alternative to make a bevel?
>>
You can look on Craigslist for used sanders. Also check auction sites. For example I got an industrial Baldor belt sander for 75 dollars (overkill for your needs but large is good!). You can also use a bench grinder if you must.

An angle grinder and a few flap discs can also work well for smooth metal removal. You can find grinders used too.

An angle grinder is more versatile than a belt sander and with cutting discs and other accessories can do many jobs.

Wear a face shield when using any grinder.

If you wait patiently and hit garage sales, flea markets etc you can find many tools for little money.
>>
>>918853
Will definitely check thanks!
>>
For anyone wondering, this is the video.

https://youtu.be/ervAg4plXDI
>>
>>918857
You could use a file.
Cheap, but will take longer
Walter sorrels has a video where he uses a file to form his knive. Explains which files he likes.
His videos are pretty good.
>>
File: mill files.jpg (35 KB, 500x225) Image search: [Google]
mill files.jpg
35 KB, 500x225
here you go.
A remarkable technology, its called the file.

Also, I'd avoid angle grinders, they're abysmal for detail work, and worse for finishing. They can fuck up the steel rapidly, or you.

a good belt grinder is a lifesaver, but its by no means essential.

A file on the other hand, it takes real talent to injure yourself with or damage the metal too much.
>>
>>918848
I got one for cheap on harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html

I can use wet belts on it too. It's worked well for the knives I've been making from stock removal. Prior to getting this, I was using a file.

Fuck using a file.
>>
>>918848
>>918853
Don't forget, you can also make a stand for the handheld type, you don't have to hold out for a stationary belt sander.

I'd suggest using the angle grinder to rough out the bevel, then >>918880.

Or you can just get sandpaper, glue it down, make a guide and rub it back and forward. Basically the same thing without the belt sander motor doing the moving for you.
>>
Could one make a DIY belt grinder from a 15 volt DC drill motor and some sand paper?
>>
>>919259
you could, but if you can, get a washing machine engine, those things are awesome for belt sanders, bench grinders, etc. and you dont need more than 1 engine to power multiple rigs...that is if you dont mind assembly them everytime you´re gonna use them
>>
Use a standard metal file. Thats how I got into making straight razors.
>>
>>918848
Well fuck, I was looking at buying this Clarke sander yesterday, £100 brand new and a Rage 3 saw. I thought I would hold off for a few weeks and may get one in a sale.

I have access to a lot of C67 0.67% carbon steel, is this good for making knifes?
I have a 500x500x6mm sheet in my garage or can get hold of any size.
>>
>>919477
If im not mistaken c67 is equivalent to 1070. Its decent for knives.
>>
>>919481
No idea what that is but I like research, I was planning on making old replica weapons or currency, but i might ttry my hand at a knife when i get my tools.
>>
>>919485
The 10xx series is the most popular choice for carbon steel used in knives. They are very durable.
1095, a popular high-carbon steel for knives; it is harder but more brittle than lower carbon steels such as 1055, 1060, 1070, and 1080. It has a carbon content of 0.90-1.03%[8] Many older pocket knives and kitchen knives were made of 1095. It is still popular with many bushcrafters and survivalists due to its toughness and ease of sharpening.[58][59] With a good heat treat, the high carbon 1095 and O-1 tool steels are often considered better than all but the most exotic and expensive stainless steels.
1084, carbon content 0.80-0.93%
1070, carbon content 0.65-0.75%[8] Used in machetes.
1060, used in swords. It has a carbon content of 0.55-0.65%[8]
1055, used in swords and machetes often heat-treated to a spring temper to reduce breakage. It has a carbon content of 0.48-0.55%[8]

Ok so i found this info, not to find out if I can heat treat it, the supplier said something about it might make it to brittle?
>>
>>919487
Heat treatment has two parts. First you heat, then quench the blade to harden it. Second, you temper it in an oven for a couple hours, to soften back ever so slightly and allow internal stresses from the quench to dissipate.

Both processes involve a lot of research and expertise, and are easily the single most important part of making knives.
>>
>>918848
You heard of files, right? If you have the patience and the elbow grease it works great. That cross-eyed knifemaker on YouTube (gough?) has a tutorial on how to make a simple jig so you keep the angle consistent.

Remember: You don't always need the right tools if you have the will. It's all about being resourceful.
>>
>>920410
Yeah here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ
>>
>>919477

amature knife maker here.

Anything above 0.5% carbon is considered a "high carbon" steel and will be useful for making a blade.

Simple carbon steels are easier to heat treat so they're usually a good starting point for beginners anyways.

6mm is pretty thick though. You'll have a lot of work ahead of you thinning that out.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.