[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made a video showing how to make copper sulfide crystals.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
I made a video showing how to make copper sulfide crystals. They're highly conductive and can be used to make conductive coatings and layers. Even drop cast on a paper tower they conduct great. It's also an important material for super capacitors. Theoretically 12 layers of this stuff could power your house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJVHOou8aM
>>
File: 1195596327497.png (6 KB, 221x301) Image search: [Google]
1195596327497.png
6 KB, 221x301
>>918150
>Theoretically 12 layers of this stuff could power your house.

>capacitors
>power your house

I don't think you know what a capacitor is or what it does.
>>
>>918162
a typical capacitor is rated in microfarads typically and you'd be right, they hold very little power. Super capacitors are more like a battery. Except they have significantly higher energy density and can charge in seconds. Copper sulfide has a capacitance in it's natural form of 200 farads per square cm. so at 12 layers that are 8.5x11 would have a capacitance of about a million farads. That's plenty to power your house for a while.
>>
>>918150
Fascinating anon. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to to learn more?
>>
>>918166
And how are you going to charge the capacitor? The mains wiring? Why have the capacitor at all, then?

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the term "capacitance." A single material does not "have capacitance". A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive dielectric material. The capacitance and voltage rating of a capacitor is very dependent on the type and thickness of dielectric used, not just the conductive material.
>>
>>918169
Again, super capcitors are weird. Farads is a convenient measure but says very little about how much actual power the thing holds. That number came from a paper that used a 2 electrode cell with copper sulfide as the active electrode to determine the capacitance. Also a supercapacitor is built differently. There's no dielectric. instead there is a separator layer or solid electrolyte that conducts ions but not electrons. As I said, they work more like a battery. I have no intention of actually powering a house with them. I'm using them because compared to lithium batteries, they're incredibly safe. Most of the materials I'm using are edible in their natural forms. And they can hold a copious amount of power so for things like medical implants they are ideal. Obviously there would be no point powering it off mains, however powered off a solar panel it could quickly charge and power your house through the night or on rainy days.
>>
>>918168
the youtube channel/facebook page is the best place to stay up to date. I also have a website (thethoughtemporium.com) which I'll be updating much more frequently now.
>>
So, tell me again, please: what's the main advantage of this copper sulfide over activated carbon? Just the slightly increased conductivity?
>>
>>918174
more surface area, more conductive and better at holding ions. Had I modified the procedure and made copper sulfide nanotubes instead this effect would be even greater. Activated carbon is garbage for supercaps. graphene and carbon nanotubes or even hydrothermally carbonized materials outpreform it by order of magnitude. Activated carbon also loses its ability to charge fairly quickly whereas stuff like this or carbon nanotubes can keep functioning through upwards of 20000 charge cycles. Also it's a pain in the ass to make. whereas this stuff took all of 4 seconds of effort and a bit of waiting.
>>
Could you use it to make through holes conductive enough for copper plating?
>>
See if you can coat CNTs with this and make a battery.

Ill be waiting for my royalty checks.
>>
Nice.
English is not my first language, and while I usually understand what people say, or use closed captions if not, these technical things are usually harder to understand... So, please, try talking more clearly, or fix the captions.

On another topic... Why the hell would you insert magnets in you hand? wtf.
Just watching medical stuff makes me feel like shit, FFS

And finally, you should try making graphene sheets with a DVD burner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oEFwyoWKXo
article: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/335/6074/1326.short
materials: http://www.ludiserv.com/zenos/docu/El-Kady-SOM.pdf
>>
>>918194
It was explained in the video. Once healed you can feel electromagnetic fields. It's really a very interesting feeling since all of a sudden you are getting information about the world that's totally knew.

I may try that but honestly that's a really cumbersome way to make graphene. you can make it just as easily with an electric sander or ultrasonic bath. And you can start with graphite rather than having to first make graphite/graphene oxide
>>
>>918204
Why not just put ferric metal in your hand? That way you're not gonna get screws and stuff sticking to your hand.
>>
>>918204
Top fucking lel.
You could achieve roughly the same effect by gluing magnets or magnet powder to your finger. It's washable, it's safe, doesn't require you to mutilate yourself, and doesn't needlessly cause inconveniences during MRIs.
>>
>>918213
First, if you put metal in your hand you'd only feel magnetic things. and also the sensitivity would be too low to feel most things. whereas with a magnet the effect is magnified significantly and you can feel metals, something regular ferrous materials can't. And while you may get a similair effect by gluing one to you, it's not the same. It's far easier to disturb the neurons from the inside and neuronal ingrowth increases the signal as well. Further the magnets are specially coated to be biocompatible so that there's no risk to having them in. Also gluing isn't permeant and you would have something sticking off of you which will get caught on things. Or could get ripped off. This way that can't happen.

The MRI thing really isn't a big deal. And frankly if I was in enough trouble to need an MRI, just dig the damn thing outta my finger quickly.
>>
>>918204
>Once healed you can feel electromagnetic fields

OH SHIT NIGGA

I've been wanting to do this, you have had this done?

How is it? Any complaints?
>>
>>918219
It's awesome. I took it out cause it was in a bad spot so it was getting in the way of climbing. Otherwise it was so cool and totally worth.
>>
>>918218
>First, if you put metal in your hand you'd only feel magnetic things.
You said it was to feel magnetic fields. I thought you meant magnetic objects would pull the magnets in your skin, creating a sensation.
>>
>>918229
I meant electromagnetic fields. With a magnet you'll feel metals, strong electric currents and other magnets. If it's just metal you'll at most feel magnets. Basically any strong enough electromagnetic field makes the magnet vibrate or pull/push. All that movement is picked up by the neurons.
>>
>>918218
The whole point of gluing is that it isn't permanent, so that you can remove the magnets when they aren't needed. Unlike surgery, gluing is quick, non-invasive, and can be done anywhere at any time. And since it's an external application, the magnet doesn't need to be particularly biocompatible.

A glued magnet getting snagged is a non-argument. If you don't pay attention to your fingers near heavy machinery, a tiny thing glued to a fingertip makes very little difference in regards to safety.
>>
>>918247
The part your missing is that it's not meant as something to try for an hour. It's meant as a new sense just like taste or smell or sight. It meant to stay in to integrate into your body and allow your brain time to rewire and incorporate the signals and learn to interpret them
>>
How did we go from copper sulphide in supercapacitors to having a magnet in your hand?
>>
>>918273
someone saw one of my other videos and got excited/confused
>>
>>918162
Kill yourself
>>
>>918150
sub'd m8

NOW MAKE A SUPER CAPACITAZORE!
>>
>>918269
>It meant to stay in to integrate into your body and allow your brain time to rewire and incorporate the signals and learn to interpret them
this isnt transformers anon, your going to be forever held out of public events and never be able to get an mri
>>
>>920013
Erm, no.

Mental plasticity is a thing. It's the reason you can make your body do anything at all.

There's not enough information in your DNA to specify exactly where nerves should grow to; all that's specified is the kinda way they should grow.

Your brain takes care of the mess, interpreting anything that looks touchy as touch, movey as movement, heary as sound, etc. etc.

There's a prosthetic that allows previously-sighted people to see through a grid of electrodes on their back or tongue. It doesn't work for congenitally-blind people, because their brain never learned to see.

Give someone a white cane, and they'll eventually learn to see with it, using the same visual area that sighted people use to see.

Magnets in the fingers work the exact same way as the white stick.
>>
File: cvpr15a.jpg (224 KB, 1592x815) Image search: [Google]
cvpr15a.jpg
224 KB, 1592x815
>>920063
>Give someone a white cane, and they'll eventually learn to see with it, using the same visual area that sighted people use to see.

you are pulling my leg
they can't actually 'see' can they?
>>
>>920087
other people can echolocate by clicking their tongues and hearing the echos. It activates the same part of their brain that your eyes do, so they're processing visual information.
>>
>>920104
I can do this kind of.

I've had a lot of eye surgeries as a kid and I had several periods where I had to wear bandages over my eyes for weeks.

I found out that by snapping I could locate large objects.

I can still do it but the room has to be relatively empty so it's echo-y and carpet especially thick stuff kills it beyond finding shit like couches.

I still do it out of habit when I'm making my way around the house at night.

It does not work at little shit though. I never stub my toes but I do step on plugs and shit.
>>
>>918162
the only person in this thread who didnt babble idiotic nonsense was told to 'kill himself', sigh
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.