[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tool suggestions and general advice for new handyman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: WIN_20151207_221524.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20151207_221524.jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
I started a position as a handyman for a little over a month already and work on residential apartments , buildings , and some offices.

Taping , installing locks , painting , installing light fixtures etc , etc.

I work with a team of 6 handymen who all have over 10+ experience on me & not all of them are the best at giving advice.

Looking too be pointed in the right direction for all things handyman. Also a list of tools I should add to my collection even though company gives me a van with tools , I like having my own.

My current tools which aren't much are , Flat and Phillips head screwdrivers all various lengths , lineman pliers , snips , channel locks , crescent wrech , allen key set , utility knife , 6 in 1 ,power drill .

I'm sorry if I seem vague I just want an overall knowledge in what ever field you might be proficient in so I can pull my own weight and not be the newbie on the team.
>>
>>917902
If your company gives you tools, work a few months with them
Youll quickly see what you do and dont use, and from there can buy your own.
>>
>>917902
What do you mean by taping? Drywall?

I don't see a measuring tape or an electrical multimeter on your list, those are pretty fundamental.

You really have to look at the tasks you're doing. If you're not taking a stupidly long time to finish a task, not damaging finishes, not stripping fasteners and so on, you're probably using the right tools.

If you want to make yourself more valuable, start by building skills. Are there any tasks that you're consistently asking someone to help you finish?
>>
>>917902
Irwin everything is great, channels specifically.
>>
>>917902
Ohh, and don't buy the shitty multimeter's that only to voltage. Buy one that does it all, including temp. You'll need it once every 2 years, but when you need it, you need it. My home depot budget meter was like 60-70 but does everything I need.
Also, anything for prying? I have a set of mini prybars. A punch set for aligning holes, socket set, deep and standard. Also you'll need those non adjustable wrenches every once in a while. 500 5/16ths bits and 100 extra Phillips bits. Also, get that 10 or 11 in 1 in the electrician section of home depot. Has nut drivers up to 3/8 and a bunch more useful bits.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.