[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/qtddtot/ questions that dont deserve their own threads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77
File: 20140726_blp505.jpg (71 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
20140726_blp505.jpg
71 KB, 595x335
>questions that dont deserve their own threads

my question is:
how small can i make a hydrolic ram pump? i would like to make a very miniaturized model to test some concepts, but im concerned that the air pressure in the compression tank will never reach a decent pressure. im talking several cubic centimeters of space in there, a few inches tall.
>>
File: 1420405297456.jpg (78 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
1420405297456.jpg
78 KB, 363x500
Anyone ever deal with a dog who marks his territory in the house?

Here's the deal: My dog is about 5 years old and was fixed when he was young. A year or so ago I took in a friend's dog while she was unable to care for him. Friend's dog began marking a couple spots in the living room (I'd clean it up as best I could).

That dog is now gone, but he taught my dog how to do this. The two spots are on the corner/leg of an end table and on the corner of my bar.

I recently purchased Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner to try. What I did was spray/pour the cleaner on the location then cover that area with plastic and plastic bags /duct tape to keep the area wet so the enzyme could get down into the carpet (and wood).

During the 2-3 days I was allowing the area to remain wet with the enzyme cleaner I noticed that my dog was still peeing in both spots! (the plastic on the floor next to the end table had obvious fresh urine on it and the bar that they previously peed on is separated with carpet on one side and linoleum on the other so the urine was also quite visible.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to repeat this process and keep my dog away from these areas until they're completely dry before letting him back in?
>>
There's already one of these in the catalog
>>
>>917689
i searched QTDDTOA and came up with nothing
>>
>>917635
>how small can i make a hydrolic ram pump?
you can make them as small as you want, really.
here is an example of a cheap cable cutter/swage that has a built-in hydro ram:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Cutter-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping/dp/B00OMI2SQK
it sells for $30 - $50 online

most hydraulic parts are rather large because they're built for tractors.
if you want to build a (relatively) small / low-pressure hydraulic system, one easy way is to use pneumatic cylinders instead.
These may need the o-rings changed out, but those are usually standard sizes.
Also note that most pneumatic rams have maximum pressures of only 200 - 300 PSI, where normal hydraulic equipment is 2000 - 3000+.

if you are in the USA, this place has a bunch of pneumatic cylinders that are pretty cheap:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/
>>
>>912764

>>917694
It was on the front page when you started this thread
>>
>>917704
oh. well i guess since it doesn't have "QTDDTOA" in it, I didn't see it. That's pretty standard protocol. Time, son, I don't have much of it:)
>>
>>917704
>front page

>not using thr catalog

>not making a thread searchable

frogpost.png
>>
>>917688
catch dog in act or
grab the dog by neck scruff
put dogs face into the piss spot
say NO with a firm voice
>>
File: 0239429343.png (615 KB, 498x497) Image search: [Google]
0239429343.png
615 KB, 498x497
I need something like these acrylic "vase fillers" but transparent black (or grey). Can be glass, don't want them to float.

Pic related is typical for some reason, all the colours are transparent except for black, everytime.
>>
File: 03495384.jpg (12 KB, 236x298) Image search: [Google]
03495384.jpg
12 KB, 236x298
Has anyone tried mixing plaster of paris with superglue or epoxy? I'm trying to cast something a bit fragile.

Pic unrelated but still cool
>>
>>918044
Just tried it, failure.
Added the water to the plaster then added the superglue, it just solidified instantly into a stringy heap. I guess I thought the water would slow the reaction right down but I guess just because superglue is a liquid doesn't mean you can dilute it in water. Oh well, I learnt something.
>>
>>918064
Water accelerates superglue. Superglue needs water to polymerise, which is why you can make it set faster by breathing on it.
>>
>>918038
http://www.amazon.com/Vase-Filler-Black-Marbles-bags/dp/B00LG6KUV6
>>
Any tips for working with copper rivets?
I wanna change the speakers in an old pair of headphones like really really went to the moon and back AKG 1969 headphones. The speakers are inside a metal case closed off with brass and copper rivers. I can cut the rivers off with a cutter no problem. But will I be able to close them up again? Any tips on how to git gut with rivets?
>>
File: 0305oil6byk.jpg (59 KB, 518x264) Image search: [Google]
0305oil6byk.jpg
59 KB, 518x264
Has anybody tried converting plastic back into oil?
>>
>>918123
Yes, some fungi such as pestalotiopsis microspora can do this. The fungi is from Ecuador but if you've got a decent university nearby, you might be able to get access to a sample. This depends entirely on which country you are from as some countries have very stringent controls on releasing possible pest species into the wild through incompetence.
>>
>>917917
have never seen him in the act, but have said something after the fact (harsh voice, pointed) and he cowered and walked off. I have put his nose in it before. I may have to get rid of the end table as it's wood and has likely soaked in too far to completely remove any smells. It's not a fancy place by any means so I may do something with the bar too, remove the exterior wood panels and replace with wainscot or something similar (my furniture doesn't match anyway lol)
>>
>>918096
remove the rivets then replace them, they aren't made to be taken in and out like a screw or something would.
>>
File: 1450599394103.jpg (8 KB, 228x227) Image search: [Google]
1450599394103.jpg
8 KB, 228x227
I'm running a 2nd router out to my shed, would anybody watch a live stream of me just fucking around in my shed? Are there any streams like that, I'd probably leave one on in the background.
>>
File: 2015-12-22 14.13.52.jpg (843 KB, 1520x2048) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-22 14.13.52.jpg
843 KB, 1520x2048
Is there any way to give this lamp a dimmer switch? Hole is about 3/8"

>>918363
Probably a knife if the screws are hidden.

>>918502
Call it the cuckshed.
>>
Anyone got good suggestions for an outdoors jobsite radio?
>>
>>918363
don't forget your mask!
>1960s
>lead paint
you probably knew that already, but just incase...
>>
>>918827
Standalone radio or portable bluetooth speaker + radio on your phone?
>>
>>918871
Standalone.
>>
A girl I know said she wanted me to get her a Christmas card (she lives in another state for now). She also said "with sparkles." I thought about buying her a card but I have some card stuff leftover from when I made a Valentine's card for my ex-girlfriend five years ago.

She likes space and whales, so I figured I could do something like that. Not sure how to work in the sparkles, or even where to get sparkles as they're not something I regularly use (or ever use). Is there any way to make something like sparkles? Does anyone here have any ideas at all because I legitimately have nothing.
>>
>>918887
put the sparkles on a black background so they looks like stars

also
>being a long distance cuck
>>
>>917635
should be good. the issues isn't really the air pressure, as long as the compression tank is sealed, you'll keep getting pressure spikes until it's pumping the water up. the real issue is the flow rate, and adjusting the pulser valve. adding more weight (or spring power, depending on it) increases the pressure spike of the water hammer effect. The compression tank is pretty much there to smooth out the pressure spikes so it won't burst, as long as the flow is there, she'll be all right.
Generally you can get somewhere from a 4:1 to a 10:1 lift to fall ratio. That's more important than the size of the pipes or the throughput.

>>917703
hydraulic ram pump is a water powered water pump. it uses a water hammer effect to function, hence called a hydraulic ram. it is not a hydraulic press or clamp, those are totally different.
>>
>>918887
Fill the inside of the card with glitter. Peak as much loose glitter in the card as you possibly can.
Don't send it overseas or she might get an angry letter from customs as well as a card with no glitter
>>
File: 0034.jpg (3 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
0034.jpg
3 MB, 2304x3072
I have a binder similar to pic related; the plastic has a lot of scratches and I'd like to get a new one. Is there a way to switch the cardboard/image within the sleeve to another?
>>
File: CoplandOS.gif (125 KB, 1097x805) Image search: [Google]
CoplandOS.gif
125 KB, 1097x805
I have a heater that I want to disassemble and clean, but it has three winged screws, they're deep as hell and I've tried all the things I could. Unscrewing them is not an option.

There's a grid in the upper part of the heater, where the fan is. I'm thinking about tickling it with a wire bit to loosen up the dirt and remove some of it with the help of gravity, then get a vacuum cleaner for the rest.

It won't be perfect, but I'll save myself buying special tools or trying to make them myself: I don't have many options.

Is this a good idea? I also have a huge leaf blower. Would that work better? Which safety distance should I keep?

Thanks in advance!
>>
What is a good oil for between plastic and aluminum for chair wheels? I used mineral oil but not sure that is okay. I have a spare set of wheels if it becomes a problem though.
>>
>>919315
I'm not sure you can without it falling apart but you could take a razor around one edge, pull the old one out and put a new in, tape the edge with some black tape or something pretty and call it done.
>>
>>919514
Yes this is fine to do. They're built tough generally and nothing should come loose from just a vacuuming and dusting. In fact do it now. Its more hazardous to let the heater stay dusty.

The leaf blower might be too much but I doubt it.
>>
>>918064
Maybe try an epoxy or 2 part resin then add the hardener when you forming your thing
>>
>>918502
I probably would especially if you do cool stuff
>>
>>919315
It depends on how its sealed.. you might be able to just cut the plastic and slide the cardboard out of it and put it in a new binder.
Im sure that would destroy any "colector value" or whatever that might be left.

The paper/cardboard might also be fused to the plastic and might not be removable. if its sentimental then I wouldnt screw with it.. if you just like the insert Im sure you could just print a new one off of the internet
>>
>>919315
Pretty sure I have that exact one
>>
File: sprocket.jpg (104 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
sprocket.jpg
104 KB, 720x960
Anyone know what this extra bit on my sprocket is?
I have a feeling its to catch the chain if it slips off the sprocket.
Off a honda magna 1996
>>
>>919769
Never-mind. turns out it is a chain catcher
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-SOHC-K0-K1-Plate-Side-Rear-Sprocket-Chain-Catcher-Steel-Zinc-Plated-/161279813872
>>
File: casil_ca12180-500x500.jpg (41 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
casil_ca12180-500x500.jpg
41 KB, 500x437
can anyone estimate/does anyone know how many amps a 12v 18ah battery like this can provide to a small engine starter? its starting to melt my shitty lamp cord ive been using meaning its undersized which would also explain why it doesnt seem to have a whole lot of cranking juice.
>>
>>919789
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-4011496-Battery-YTX20HL-12V-18AH-310-CCA-/361455584186?hash=item54286e83ba
Internet seems to indicate somewhere around 300. fug.
>>
>>919797
Huh. Well I really don't think it's giving all 300 because its only melting at the battery terminal and its takes several seconds of starting to start melting, and this is like 14/16 gauge wire were talking about. It's a little gx200 starter so I can only assume it's only drawing like 100 amps or so but idk.
Don't suppose you know of a way to calculate the amps the starter pulls or is capable of pulling do ya?
>>
How do I get a job at a factory without going through a temporary agency? I have 5 years of factory/parts assembly/quality inspection experience but no one ever hires me. I admit I'm only 23 but I have sent out millions of dollars of high end products I assembled by hand for the military/Toyota and couldn't even get a job at a faucet company.

I want to make more than $10 an hour and get benefits.
>>
>>919829
pretty much impossible these days. fucking temp agencies need to die
>>
>>919635
Thanks! I scraped what I could with a bent wire. I'll remember to vacuum clean it when time comes.
>>
why isnt this called sqt?
anyway, i need paint, that i can paint with a brush, i want to paint some small plastic things. what should i look for?
>>
>>919983
Maybe something like craft paint. I don't know, I just did a quick Google search.
>>
File: image.jpg (302 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302 KB, 750x1334
This house has an old squiggly mid century wood plaque that had rotted long ago. What's the best way to cut a new piece of wood, what should the wood be and how do I prevent it from rotting?
Pic related shows the old outline of the address sign
>>
... Hey I need to make oxygen. Doesnt have to be super pure. Just needs be like 75% pure. Im making a super tiny butane torch for soldering silver chain links. I have the containers and nozzel all built. But I don't know how to get an almost pure oxygen and compress it into the little tank I made for it. Its only suppose to be like max 8 psi.

The torch is VERY tiny so it doesnt use tons of gas. And is suppose to sit on my benchtop not be very portable.
>>
>>920200
well, hate to break it to you, but unless you have a bead on a used oxygen concentrator (like the kind used by geriatrics and morbidly obese fucks who are too fat to breathe anymore) your best bet would be to go to a plumbing supply or a big hardware store and buy a plumber sized tank of oxygen. They're sold with the propane torches, and the tanks are that same size and profile, just red instead of blue or yellow.

example: http://hardwaredistributors.com/cylinder-oxygen-1-1-cu-apos.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAkvmzBRDQpozmt-uluCQSJACvCd1lMsnMPQjuvJsvSDU1YDLW7OnT6WeXAfyA7sIOEIOgchoCQorw_wcB

adapters can be had that hook that kind of bottle toregular pipe, (with a little looking) and if the torch is really that small, you'll never go through it all.
>>
>>920224
Yeah I couldnt find online if homedepot or lowes or ace sold anything like a spare tank. That's fine if I can find one instead. I don't have to make it. And yeah its pretty damn small. And I only need to mix the butane to like 4 part butane to 1 part oxygen.
>>
>>920200
> Hey I need to make oxygen.
Just buy it. It's not exactly expensive (the container costs more than the oxygen).

If you're insistent upon making it yourself, the easiest DIY method is electrolysis of water. Not efficient, but in the quantities you're after, that doesn't really matter.

The main industrial production method is distillation (i.e. cooling air until the oxygen liquifies at -183C), which isn't really practical for DIY.

Most of the other common oxygen production methods (e.g. emergency oxygen generators for airliners) involve catalytic cracking of oxidisers, and a random guy trying to buy oxidisers is probably going to end up with some counter-terrorism agency kicking in your door.
>>
Anyone has books or info on everything i need to know about solar panels and solar energy?
>>
Can some anons help me out here?

I'm a poor fag with some old sand paper, manual tools, some small screws, and shipping pallets.

How can I make money with this? Cut up the pallets and make small boxes? Maybe a dog house? Perhaps some chairs? I'm not sure where I can even sell this stuff, local CG? I live in a shady area. Posted in wood work thread too. Thanks in advance.

Maybe a table...I've done this kind of stuff before just not for monetary gain so no idea what to do.
>>
How do I detect if an Xbox One is on or off (so I can switch the input to my one-input AV reciever)?

360 had a 5v line on the AV port that went high only when the console was on. One doesn't have an AV port.

I was thinking either:

- a microcontroller with a clamp ammeter
- a passive TOSLINK splitter and a microcontroller with either a photodetector (if the link actually goes down when it's off) or a TOSLINK receiver (if the link merely goes dead but stays lit).

Frankly, the clamp ammeter seems to have the most legs, but does anyone know of an easier way I haven't thought of, or a cheap source for a clamp ammeter? Doesn't even need to be calibrated, as all it needs to care about is full-on vs standby.
>>
I have a 7 foot fence with a huge padlock etc but someone jumped it by putting the neighbors garbage can in front of the gate. I'm pretty sure they didn't get too far since my dog was out back and nothing was fucked with but the can was moved in front of the gate again the other day. Everything is locked pretty well and I have motion lights up and the street light is right in front of my house as well but if anyone has any ideas on how to keep them from hopping my fence I'd be grateful. Also I already have a few guns but I'd rather just prevent the attempted break in.
>>
File: 00W0W_2HLkPDMURnW_600x450.jpg (24 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00W0W_2HLkPDMURnW_600x450.jpg
24 KB, 600x337
>>920436
I see a lot of pallet furniture on craigslist that looks pretty good, specifically this table which the dude sells for $350 somehow. It should be pretty easy to make a profit on since the wood is free.
>>
>>920610
Electric fence? Are they legal in burger land? They're pretty good on livestock but I think even people would just put a carpet sample over it.

Barbed wire?
>>
>>920610
>owns gun
>doesn't shoot niggers who hop his fence
>>
>>920631
Don't think so but I looked some stuff up and I'm pretty sure I will get sued if they get hurt on my property. I might as well just leave the doors unlocked and keep my gun ready.

>>920632
I didn't see the person that hopped the fence or I would have. At this point I'm thinking about getting some cameras since I'm fairly certain it's one of my neighbors.
>>
when you have time off work make it look like you're not home and wait.
>>
>>920511
Try probing the output circuitry on the board for a constant voltage rail. Not too familiar with xboxs but it would be a lot easier to just solder a sense wire on.
>>
>>920687
Or even try and find a regulator on board near the input and attach a wire to an arduino.
>>
File: 20151227_222226.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151227_222226.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Sup /qtddtot/

This is the front glass from a wind up clock. It's fucked. Any way to unfuck it? Google results are clouded with watch repair tips, perhaps because this is too hard and there is nothing much to be done for clock glass.

I have no idea what happened here but the rest of the clock is in great condition, if I can dig out or fill these scratches i'd be pretty stoked. Halp?
>>
>>920719
Damage from being inside something for storage perhaps?

The basic methods would be to either polish out the scratches or fill them with something clear (like clear nail polish) that fixes the distortion making the scratch so noticable. Neither work terribly well if the scratch is deep enough to be felt (by dragging a fingernail over, for example)
>>
File: asdf.jpg (694 KB, 1660x2064) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
694 KB, 1660x2064
>>920724
> Damage from being inside something
Or transported 5000 miles while wedged against a brick wall. It's got a decent dent on top as well. Had a rough life but still good for +/- 2 minutes over 7 days after a clean and align, kinda pretty looking as well. Worth the effort IMO.

> fill them with something clear
Thinned, layered clear coat was going to be my first go-to, if the result is shitty acetone/other stripper will erase and I can try again. The few clock related guides I found suggested nail polish as well, so I guess I'm with you at this point. Do we know if 2000 wet//dry scratches glass? Results are mixed on this one and i'll need a way to run the varnish back level to the glass.

> deep enough to be felt
I'd estimate them to be no deeper than .3mm, but as scratches go they're the Grand Canyon. Anything will be an improvement at this point.
>>
>>920719
Watch faces would be harder then regular glass. As watch faces are sapphire. At least any decent watch face.

As far as unfucking it.. If you look up gem cutting resources. They sell diffrent grits for lapping. Comes in powers. Betcha with some of that stuff and some microfiber cloths for each grit. You could manually work them out. But you will spend like a total of 4 hours doing so.
>>
File: 20151228_010237.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151228_010237.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>920724
So painted a few layers of clear coat on, wet sanded it back with 3000 grit, polished it with vehicle scratch remover. Looks.. less shitty. From afar it looks loads better, but far from good. Missus has no clear nail varnish so I'll go buy some tomorrow and retry with that in case it makes a difference.

>>920747
This appears to be the way forward anyway, turns out even 3000 will leave scratches. I should have tried #0000 steel wool. Your suggestions led me to some good info on polishing at least, cheers mang.
>>
>>920687
>>920691
The idea was to do it without voiding the warranty, but thanks for the ideas.

If I were going to do it that way, I'd tap the PWM or sense from the CPU fan, because the fan only runs when it's "on"-on.

Turns out you can make it emit custom IR codes when it switches off and switches on, so an IR-blaster, an IR receiver module, and a microcontroller should do the trick.

(For more fun, it's double-insulated and has a floating ground. An off-the-shelf IR receiver demodules the signal and provides isolation at the same time.)
>>
I picked up a drill press the other day,need to make it its own stand.
Work shop layout is a bit cramped, wondering if mounting on casters is worth it or will it just overcomplicate something simple.
>>
>>920886
The bice harbor freight welding cart is breddy good for a drill stand.
>>
this is the plumbing for my downstairs sink. the soil stack is highlighted in red.

when I run the dishwasher or dump a large amount of water through the kitchen sink upstairs, the downstairs sink bubbles up some gross sewage gas and water backs up into the sink bowl.

the downstairs sink never clogs or slows when I run water through it, only when the water comes from upstairs. I've run draino through the system, but it doesn't fix anything.

What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>921071
what the fuck
is that steam pipe exhaust looking thing?
i would rip out everything in the top picture and start again.

fuck draino, go outside find a rodding eye or manhole and rod your drains properly.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
guys, i made myself a Fighstick out of a xbox360 controller and i wanted to add some light up buttons to it, but i was wondering, from where do i draw the power from? does it work if i solder the cable for the button AND the led cable in the same pad of the pcb?
>>
>>921255
more screws!
>stained pine hardwood floors
oh. yeah ok. i guess not then. shims are ok i guess.
>>
>>921141
This might sound crazy, but hear me out: the incoming USB header has a +5v line on it.
>>
>>921324
Yes i saw that point, do you know if all the leds are wired to that single point and the negatives to the ground of the button pad? Cause im having trouble figuring out that
>>
>>921141
There are some pretty bright people over at
paradisearcadeshop (google it)

Browse some of their goodies, maybe even send an e-mail and let them know what you did. More times than not, either one of the two manager(s) will respond within 2-3 days with an answer to your question.

Just remember to note the following:
• What size button(s) you're using
• What you'd like to light up or glow
• Per press, or constantly lit?

There's a number of silly ways to go about it, but if you ask those two, I don't see them steering you wrong. They sort of have a fetish for making things glow. Hope it helps!
>>
>>921326
Do you want them to glow all the time, or only when they're pressed, or only when they're not pressed?
>>
Cool, thx for the link, ill email them
The buttons im using are pretty common type with leds built in of an unkown brand, i want them to lit up when pressed
>>
File: konteineris-2.jpg (34 KB, 550x290) Image search: [Google]
konteineris-2.jpg
34 KB, 550x290
I have a few (somewhat retarded) questions to those who pick stuff from recycling centers: how do you do this? Like, do you just go there / call them and ask if they can let you in to dig around their storerooms? Do they give stuff for free or do they ask you for money? If so, how much typically? What good can you get this way and what is off-limits to ask?

I have been dumpster diving for electronics before and found some good electronic devices that I fixed for tiny fraction of the actual price of the device itself (like five blown caps in otherwise perfect 19" monitor), however more and more electronics here (Central / Eastern Europe) are being thrown into special bins, which are always in sight of security guard or camera and it's almost impossible to fish anything out of them due to their construction (pic related), so I'm looking for new sources of devices to reuse or repair.
>>
File: satellite dish.jpg (11 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
satellite dish.jpg
11 KB, 400x400
Hey guys, I just got an old satellite dish like pic related and was thinking about turning it into a focusing mirror for solar thermal experimenting. What would be a good reflective paint / shiny metal to coat the dish in to get good focusing power?

Also can I reuse the receiver thing for anything ? Maybe by building a regular antenna instead of a bowl?
>>
>>921364
Tin foil, if applied as smoothly as possible
>>
>>921364
>>921376

Yeah, I'd probably go with tin also. There are IR-reflective paints (http://glowpaints.co.uk/glowshop-cart-reflective-paint.htm), but these are expensive.

The receiver thing IS an antenna, which can be repurposed.
>>
File: ig88.png (513 KB, 604x428) Image search: [Google]
ig88.png
513 KB, 604x428
For a long time I wanted to make a replica of the head of IG-88, preferably with metal if possible.
What's the best way to about it? What should I learn?
>>
File: 71XTeVtqLEL._UY500_.jpg (13 KB, 318x500) Image search: [Google]
71XTeVtqLEL._UY500_.jpg
13 KB, 318x500
any ATV riders out there? I'm looking to invest in a decent set of mud boots for riding. Right now I wear the cheapest and most readily available ones which aren't insulated and aren't very tall so it's not uncommon for water to come up over and into my boots, making for a cold ride! These have good reviews but I can't imagine how they're water proof all the way up with that foam-like upper portion...
>>
File: 1449385295862.jpg (56 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1449385295862.jpg
56 KB, 600x450
Hey DIY, sort of /g/ related but hoping you can help me out

I want a monitor arm for my array of monitors. I'd like a clamp because it's usually more secure and allows for a wider range of motion and movement without the possibility of tipping like a normal stand does.

The problem is the desk would need a monitor clamp with about ~5 inches of clearance. I've looked and I can't find a clamp that's that wide. Is there some sort of DIY clamp I could use with something like this?
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIBN16O/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I would just drill into the desk, but I'm in the military and in government dorms, desk is government property so I can't really alter the desk in any way.
>>
>>921364
I have seen some who also use salvaged broken mirrors off of craigslist to make a mosaic.
>>
Where can I get sheet vinyl that isn't this fake stone garbage?

Do they even still make such things?
>>
>>921576
you need Fishing Waders, they are boots and pants, all in one piece
>>
>>921933
i figured somebody would suggest those. But unfortunately I think those might be a bit much. I'm strange and like to wear shorts when I ride (even though I run the risk of burning myself on the engine). I may pull the trigger and get the boots I posted, Muck boots, the reviews are pretty good for waterproof, comfort, warmth, etc. I could always get another cheaper pair for summer riding. I just hate hate hate having cold feet in the winter!
>>
File: 41350827.jpg (87 KB, 1024x690) Image search: [Google]
41350827.jpg
87 KB, 1024x690
>Printing alternate labels for N64 cartridges

I have this copy Multi Racing Championship but I want to replace the sticker to a better game and put it on display. Are there any services that'll do it for cheap or will I have to use a printer?

recently restored my gameboy pocket too
>>
So I'm looking for information on electric motors, specifically the engineering theory on brush and brushless DC motors, I've found some information but not much. Mostly about small applications like drive trays on computers and RC motors.

I'm looking for design information I'm leaning to a Lynch motor or something like it for my project, however I would have to attempt to get a license for his patent.

Any insight would be most helpful
>>
>>922009
You can print on adhesive labels with inkjet printers. If you're getting it done elsewhere, you're going to want to look for a vinyl printing and cutting service, specify that you want it adhesive backed. It'll probably be moderately expensive for a print that size, minimum order is usually around $20-30 worth of print.
>>
>>921987
You are aware that when your legs start dripping cause of moisture/ puddle crossing, they will get into your boots no matter what right? Speccially if you wear shorts
>>
Alright.. So I'm looking for an epoxy and super glue that dries clear and without bubbles. Doesn't have to be fast curing or anything. I'm trying to refinish an old fiberglass fishing pole. And the pole supply places are charging wayyy to much for their "fancy glue" and I know a 8oz bottle doesn't cost no 27 dollars.

But the loctite CA stuff from the stores dries kinda hazy cause I did some test pieces on a stick with fluro green and a shiny silver threading. And did not look good at all.

So what should I look at?
>>
>>922286
Have you tried with Resin?
>>
Hi /diy/ anybody tried building a vacuum chamber ?
>>
>>922289
What kind? It is going on a fishing pole too so needs to have some UV blockers in it since its the clear coat..
>>
>>922303
define vacuum
>>
>>922311
just normal resin, once its dry, you can sand and paint it, boats use resin all the time and you dont see them cracking cause of excesive heat or sunlight...they do crack over time...but we are talking a couple years of direct sunlight
>>
I'm just starting a course on electronic interfaces that requires me to get some parts. Just to double check, any amps I buy can't be a surface mount if they're to be used on a breadboard, correct?
>>
>>922313
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_chamber
>>
>>922303
I'm building one right now. Only need to get one last gasket.

Pressure cooker for the chamber. 1/2 inch acrylic for the lid, brass fittings. I got a vacuum pump in a trade. It's in decent shape and is bigger than I need.
>>
any of you guys have experience with hepa filters/air purifers? I've noticed a lot of dust in my home and my vacuum can only do so much to remove it (it has a hepa filter). Today after I vacuumed and cleaned out the waste bin, I removed the foam "filter" and washed it out and boy was it dirty! I figure the hepa filter will be too (it's never been cleaned!). Since I have pets, I was thinking of getting an actual purifier to help knock the level of dust and whatnot down. Recommendations? I'm kind of a poorfag, but I'd gladly spend ~$100 or so on something if I knew my health would benefit! Thanks DIY!
>>
File: 413Ng6O5vkL._AA160_.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
413Ng6O5vkL._AA160_.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>923344
forgot pic for attention
>>
How do I build a boat? I'm a joiner/carpenter by trade and I wanna build a boat, what do I do.
>>
File: 1449488971403.jpg (58 KB, 474x548) Image search: [Google]
1449488971403.jpg
58 KB, 474x548
Hey guys, I figured this was the most appropriate board to ask this.

How hard is it to construct a small table that is sturdy and would last a good while?

The reason I ask is because I have a small room and I'm going to be putting in a computer so I need a desk for a monitor, keyboard, mouse and maybe some small miscellaneous items, but I have to put this table in an awkward small corner of my room. I can't find any tables that are built for this size and any proper table is just too big.

So I figured, with some wood and some plans I could probably just try to make my own.

I already sketched some rough plans, hopefully it would be 32" by 20" and about 32" tall.

Am I completely oversimplifying things, or is this a reasonable project for someone with basic skills to undertake?

I figured I would get the wood, make a box frame for the table part, and get square legs to drill into the frame, sand it, treat it, then paint it.

I don't know what kind of pictures you guys like, so have this cat.

Thanks everyone.
>>
Can I /diy/ search my yard for oil? Or coal? Or some of that other good shit. Gold man. Any method better than grabbing a shovel? I'm ready to grab a shovel though. I'mma get out there and dig to the middle of the earth man. Everything is fair game. What's the fastest digging method?
>>
File: laser.jpg (64 KB, 630x463) Image search: [Google]
laser.jpg
64 KB, 630x463
>>923496
Not hard, but you could also just mount a nice board directly to the wall for maximum space saving. Depending on where you live simple glass desks are usually pretty cheap, sub 50 bucks.

>>917635
So getting a laser cutter soon. Where are good places to get acrylic, wood, MDF, and leather at good cost? Particularly acrylic seems to vary in cost a lot, can't seem to find good sources of plane sheets of these things for lasering in mind.
>>
>>923513
see if there are surplus stores near you. theres one near me which sells scrap / assorted peices, you never know what they have, and its not sorted, but i can get 2'x3' sheets of plastic thats 1/8 thick for a dollar 20 cents each. thick acrylic is less than 10 dollars.

mdf is cheap at HD / lowes, but might also be at lumber yards cheaper. leather you can get online cheap.
>>
>>921525
find metal that looks like it, cut and combile. leds and fogged plastic for the red lights.

you can use jb weld epoxy and just rough the metal up a bit with sand paper.
>>
>>923604
Thank you. I'm near a HD and Lowes. I don't know what I would be looking for as far as a surplus store would go. Trying to get a little business off the ground so would those be a consistent place to get acrylic if I can find one?
>>
>>923611
yeah, theres plastic stores that just sell plastic, but a surplus store is going to be as cheap as you can get.i would talk to both.

surplus stores seem to be small and friendly, im sure if you become a regular in there you can ask for other sources, or where they get their scrap from. or see if they can set aside certain sized pieces for you if you pay a bit more
>>
>>923612
Cool thanks. Did a little search and there may be a couple not too far away.

I know getting started I'll just need small amounts, but if it takes off I know I'll need those various materials by the sheet. And the better deal I get on them the better I can price things. Work bed is only 12x20, but I can always cut down large pieces with a saw first.

Hopefully it grows. Love making things, and I can't take too many more years of being a corporate sell out
>>
>>923623
yeah, and depending on the bed design, you can cut holes in the case and extend the material though the holes. just have good shop ventilation if you do that since the built in ventilation port might not be enough.

always check if the plastics are laser safe, no one wants to burn a mirror, or get nasty plastic headaches :)
>>
>>923626
Already planning on it. Apparently fake leather makes chlorine gas. Guess its the vinyl content.
>>
>>923631
yeah, that wouldnt be fun. if its any concolation, you could get a half face resperator with acid gas filters, some swimming goggles, and a good vent fan and be fine... but i wouldnt chance it
>>
>>923632
Nah not worth it. That stuff is deadly. And its corrosive so it would eat away at the device too. Easy enough to avoid PVC and pleather. I do wonder how many machines I may eventually need down the road to be a legit business.
>>
File: Flange.jpg (185 KB, 882x462) Image search: [Google]
Flange.jpg
185 KB, 882x462
>Need to make this flange or something similar

I'm trying to put a somewhat inconspicuous lock on one of the draws in my bedside table.

The pic probably doesn't explain much, basically it's just going to have a pin that goes with it, pokes through the side of the table and into a hole in the side of the draw to keep it in place, with a hole through the side of the flange and the pin so you can put a little pad lock on it.

The base of the flange will be on the inside of the wall of the bedside table and all that will be visible from the outside will be the last inch of the pipe part of the flange and the lock.

As for scale, I guess I'd like to pin to be about 10mm dia, and the base has to be somewhat thin because I'm going to route a little recess for it. The only certain measurement will be the length of the tube so it goes all the way through.
>>
File: Pipe Flange.png (79 KB, 564x380) Image search: [Google]
Pipe Flange.png
79 KB, 564x380
>>923661
Short piece of threaded pipe and a flange.

Guess the botnet has it's uses
>knowing what I was trying to type
>>
File: 0239423.png (312 KB, 1155x530) Image search: [Google]
0239423.png
312 KB, 1155x530
>>923674
That should do well enough, Are they just an American thing? All the listing are from the USA and they want 10X the price of the item just to ship it to Australia. I'll have a look around some hardware stores anyway.
>>
>>923685
Pretty common here, even most small hardware stores carry them.
Maybe you use a different standard.
found this:
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/03107007/flange-malleable-galv-drld-table-d-20nb
No idea what NB is
>>
tl;dr : how to thermically insulate doors, cant change them

hey /diy/,
my house has big doors that leads to a balcony. These are made by a wooden frame and glass. In winter i feel that i'm leaking heat through that doors. How can i improve that? I was thinking about rubber sealing borders, but i could really use some suggestions here
>>
How feasible is it to carve a small table from a solid wooden log? The pic shows the general shape I want, although I'd have the legs flush with the edge and the whole thing slimmer and taller.
>>
>>923733
Perfectly. Just a stupid idea.
>>
>>923736
Why do you reckon, because of the waste of material?
>>
>>923732
Weather stripping and a large heavy curtain.

>>923741
Waste of material, checking, the fact that you can't even repair it so it will match, will likely be more fragile.
>>
File: weatherstripping.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
weatherstripping.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>923744
i was thinking about pic related. They're cheap and easier to apply than rubber ones. Any suggestion on how to install these?
>>
>>923741
There wouldn't be any strength in it. You'd be better off just using a log as a stool. Proper stools with turned legs are designed with alternating grain.
>>
>>923744
>>923754
Great strength is not necessary though, I will be using it as a night stand. But maybe I ought to reconsider either way. I imagine you're right about the legs being unnecessarily fragile.
>>
>>923746
You find the leaks and plug them.

If the door isn't used during the winter, just get a plastic window film kit.
>>
I'm trying to find resources on those little pull-out bars that support the writing flap on secretaries, but don't know what to call them to start the googling process, can anyone help me out?
>>
>>917635

Sort of doing some basic wood work as a hobby that doesn't involve sitting in front of a computer. Built a rustic looking ammo chest with a dull chisel, a shit-tier (harbor freight) skill saw, a hammer and a drill.

I see Sears has their Craftsman 7.25in sliding Compound Miter saw on sale for $119.00.

Worth a get?
>>
I just wondered, if I'm not a qualified electrician who can't weld and doesn't live in an old shipping container, should I really be on /diy/?
>>
>>923878
Have you ever glued a couple popsicle sticks together?
Fixed something?
Bent a paper clip into something useful?
Watched the Red Green show?
Used a screwdriver?
We're generally not elitist here.
>>
Anyone else think this general has made /diy/ less interesting?
I mean, this is a slow board. We don't need a general. It makes the rest of the board more /pro/, fuck that.
Some of the best threads start out as simple questions and now they have a short life in the general.
This general needs killed IMO.
What do you think /diy/?
>>
>>924050

I disagree. If I am going to ask something obvious I would rather do it here than fag up the board with a new thread.
>>
>>924064
I see your point. I've asked Q's in the /g/ general that I wouldn't start a thread for, but we're much friendlier and forgiving than /g/.
I have a wide variety of experience and come here to answer Q's. I rarely follow this general.
>>
File: 10 hours.png (11 KB, 898x434) Image search: [Google]
10 hours.png
11 KB, 898x434
If I used a bolt to attach my ground clamp, would the threads weld themselves together?
>>
>>924480
no, because if they have good contact, they will conduct electricity without arcing
>>
>>924480
>>924483
worked great, thank you
>>
>>924480
Nope, not providing you made a good connection.

Make sure the crimp lug makes metal to metal contact with the work piece as most bolts have a relatively high resistance at welding currents, a non ferrous screw is preferred.
>>
File: 02394823.jpg (53 KB, 580x368) Image search: [Google]
02394823.jpg
53 KB, 580x368
I'm making a kotatsu, a heated Japanese table that you sit under in winter.

I need some help finding parts for making the tabletop removable and putting grommet type things in the blanket, I know how I want to do it but just need help finding specific bits. You know how the thing you want exists but you won't find it unless you know the actual name for it.
>>
File: kotatsu1.png (16 KB, 635x539) Image search: [Google]
kotatsu1.png
16 KB, 635x539
>>924702
Usually the table tops aren't held on by anything, they just sit there on top of the blanket, but I felt like doing it a little better, so I want to have metal dowel/pins that go from the legs, through the blanket and into the table top to keep it centered and stable.
>>
File: kotatsu5.png (745 KB, 550x556) Image search: [Google]
kotatsu5.png
745 KB, 550x556
>>924707
I originally thought of putting regular grommets on them but I hate dealing with fabric and just want a completely permanent solution, so what I was thinking was pipe that's threaded on the outside, then huge washers either side then those really flat nuts to sandwich to the blanket

>1000 hours in ms paint

The parts I need help finding are the threaded pipe, 1/2" pipe nipples seem like they'd do well, as long as I can find the flat nuts that fit the thread.

Also, I'll have to put holes in the frame and table top to put the metal dowel in, but I'd like them to sit in metal hole, rather than just the wooden hole. Think a thimble or something to receive the dowel, really need help looking for something I could use to make that.
>>
What's the best way for me to learn to sew as a complete beginner ?
>>
>>924716
/cgl/ have a pretty good guide on this, I think it was in their sticky
>>
File: 03495934.jpg (354 KB, 1380x1504) Image search: [Google]
03495934.jpg
354 KB, 1380x1504
>>924714
>>
File: whatdis.png (44 KB, 887x434) Image search: [Google]
whatdis.png
44 KB, 887x434
I've encircled a symbol of sorts on this wiring diagram that i don't quite understand. It's a diagram for a cars radio/speaker wiring, just curious what it denotes in the diagram, what it does, and why it does it?

Also I guess if one could explain what a 'Joint connector' would be? Mainly because when i search it i can't quite find the exact thing in question that the car had; but in the car it was a 8 pin connector, 4 over 4, but it just plugged into what im assuming was a type of bridge to connect the two vertically opposed wires to eachother. This is also the connector that the wires that are drawn to connect to that dashed outline thing come from.
>>
>>924725
It's shielded wire, common on low level audio to reduce electrical noise.
>>
>>924727
So does it just encase those two wires it wraps around for that section of the circuit?
>>
>>924729
>>924727
sorry for the extra question.

I grasp it now, thanks anon. It wasn't important at the time and isn't now but it was really bothering me, having done wiring before but never seeing/not knowing the symbol for shielded wire. I thought it may have been.
>>
File: 075unplugcolumnlock.jpg (129 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
075unplugcolumnlock.jpg
129 KB, 1024x768
>>924729
Yes, many wires installed in places like cars will be sleeved and bundled like that when they travel through rough areas to avoid the insulation being worn away or in this case to prevent noise pickup.
>>
>>924725
>Joint connector
Could be two separate circuits sharing the same physical connector to save space?
>>
File: Untitled.png (36 KB, 551x548) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
36 KB, 551x548
>>924739
In the case of the radio wiring, there were two connectors on the back of the radio(a 10 pin & a 6 pin), both had a grey lead coming out that went to the joint connector (over top of eachother) and then all of those wires that went into their respectable shielded areas for the speaker wire also were connected to this joint connector.
>>
File: 1451239499843.jpg (164 KB, 1076x1306) Image search: [Google]
1451239499843.jpg
164 KB, 1076x1306
Probably beyond the remit of this thread, but I'm going to be graduating out of a fairly useless degree in the summer and I have lost all faith in the field I'm studying. I want to look for an alternate way of making a living to what I've studied. I know, I'm retarded.

Most of my family are in skilled trades; mechanics, engineers, hands-on stuff typically that sort of thing, so that would be the area I'm looking into, obviously its very broad so not sure where to start. Welding comes into mind because i'll have access to workshops where I can be taught it I suppose.

Any recommendations to start looking?
>>
How do I grind metal quietly?
>>
>>924816
Do it in a vacuum
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (97 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
97 KB, 1600x1066
I have a 2.1kV 1uF capacitor from a microwave oven. What could I make from it?
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 750x1334
Is it worth it trying to resurface these? They're original to the 60 year old house I'm working on and they're a kind of pale yellow gold brushed. I can't find anything similar at lowes etc without looking like cheap brass or tacky brushed aluminum
>>
I want to make a power bar with a long on/off button attached to it so that I may keep it on the floor while turning it on from the top of my desk. How would I go about making such a thing?
>>
>>924832
attach it to you door handle and kill anyone who tries to enter.
>>
>>924925

what i would do is open up the power bar, and rewire the first jack so it's in series with the rest. then i'd wire a switch that would plug into the first jack, using an extension cord.

or, if i had $30 to burn i'd buy a remote controlled power socket, like this.
>>
>>924832
Connect it to one of those electric fly swatters, it'll make the bang so much more powerful.
>>
>>924783
Welding is a good thing to know how to do, and if you can get a free education, take advantage. It's not a bad job for 6 months to 2 years, but most people don't want to do it longer than that.
>>
File: 20160104_183054.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160104_183054.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I've been practicing some welds, and I really have no idea what to think of these.
>>
>>925061
Mig?
>>
Why don't people talk more about the danger of leaded solder DUST? The solder itself and fumes are usually discussed, but never the super fine particles of solder created when soldering and especially desoldering. That dust can so easily enter your body it isn't even funny, but nobody seems to worry about it? Why? I'm honestly worried that even hand washing won't remove all of it.
>>
>>925061
not enough heat
>>
>>924920
try ebay for similar old doorknobs. there have to be places that sell new expensive doorknobs too.

and imo no, not worth refinishing unless they're valuable or something
>>
File: 20160104_221514.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160104_221514.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
So I'm redoing my front room and when I took the trim from around the front window, the jamb underneath is really wobbly and loose. The window doesn't move but the jamb does.

The roof had a seep in that area and the water had dripped down the wall into the window frame. I live in Wash DC, fairly variable climate, so it's 29 F out tonight, so I don't want to replace the window, but do I need to replace the jamb?
>>
>>925111
Yes

>>925130

I thought that could be the case. I don't think my welder is really designed to weld such thick metal (disk brake rotor). I played around with the settings, and higher voltage did seem to improve my results (relatively).
>>
>>923774
The only way I can think of this working well, (and I feel like I've seen it once) is to take log, dry it for a year or three as a log/kiln dry it, then cut out a U with a chainsaw, leaving about 4-5" of table (since across the grain is crazy weak compared to along the grain).
But you'd be making like 3 tables out of an 8' section of log, whereas doing it the way shown means you could make a dozen by slicing off a few tops and then splitting and tenoning off a section into a few dozen legs.
>>
>>925126
That reminds me to make a fume extractor
>>
I have this standard cheap clock mechanism and I need to extend the hands from the base. Seeing it's a standard size someone's probably already done this before. Anyone? What'd you use?
>>
>>925181
>someone's probably already done this before
no I don't think so
>>
File: il_fullxfull.420705974_lrof.jpg (295 KB, 1500x1363) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.420705974_lrof.jpg
295 KB, 1500x1363
hey, /fa/ here

i´m working on various garment projects like bags and jackets and i want to move into demand production to sell my desgns, i already have the patterns of all the pieces of a bag, measures with seam allowances and all, now, my problem is how to place all of my pieces in a the most efficient way possible? like fitting like 5 different shapes in a 1m wide roll of fabric, ofc not all shapes are the same nor all pieces are made in the same material, thats what is troubling me, i want to do it in paint or some software to start listing my expenses in fabrics and set a production cost

TL;DR how to fit and calculate areas and lenghts of different shapes in a specified width area
>>
>>925181
you could probably use straws to extend it
>>
>>925181
The hands are just held by friction.
The hour and minute hands are just a hole.
If you make the right sized hole you could put anything on there but there is nothing to say it will still keep time or turn at all with the extra weight
>>
>>925181
yeah that's been done before in the factory. Buy a bare clock mechanism with an extended handbase
>>
File: F37ELP1I3XTS555.MEDIUM[1].jpg (44 KB, 620x366) Image search: [Google]
F37ELP1I3XTS555.MEDIUM[1].jpg
44 KB, 620x366
I got one of those Easy Wood Tools 3/8" carbide lathe chisels for Christmas, and I'm rather liking carbide, except paying $17/insert and it being too small. Gonna just make my own carbide chisels using http://www.carbidedepot.com/detail.aspx?ID=151059. Is 304 stainless a fine metal to use? Some folks on Reddit said not to, some used it, I figured I'd check first. Any ideas where to buy 1/2" hex stock?

And can I plunge cut with an end mill in my drill press? I'm looking for a center cutting bit, right?
>>
Let's say that I got back in time, to medieval ages or earlier.

What kind of modern knowledge in diy things could be useful to make me get a lot of coins? I was thinking on soap making, but caustic soda kinda cannot be bought at medieval mart.
>>
>>925622
Learn how to make caustic soda, sell to soapmakers, fuck elizabethan bitches.
>>
File: image.png (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
8 KB, 250x250
Let's say I have a USB wifi adapter with a detachable antenna (pic related). Now let's say I need to recieve the wifi signals near a window for optimal signal, but the computer will be in the next room, which is windowless.

Can I just detach the antenna from the adapter, put the adapter by my computer, prop up the antenna by the window, and connect the two with a long Type-N cable? Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do that?
>>
>>926329
>connect the two with a long Type-N cable?
I've wondered this myself. When I needed to do that, I just used a USB extension cord. Worked fine with 16 feet.
>>
>>926329
>Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do that?

RF cable losses is the main issue.

A wireless access point in client mode with an Ethernet cable would be a better option.
>>
>>926330
For me I'd need to go longer than 16 feet and I've read that USB cables can't be extended farther than 16 feet without a powered hub in between.
>>
>>926329
Yes you can. You can even get the wire off eBay for a buck.

But seeing as you're running a wire anyway, you'd be better running a USB wire, or running a cat5 and using a wireless bridge, or running no wire at all and plonking a wireless extender down by the window.
>>
>>926332
You can use a cable with a built-in bus-powered repeater.

You only need to add power at thirty feet, because the root hub can power the repeater. When you need to add a second repeater, the first repeater can't power it and you need to use a hub.

Also you can't power any bus-powered peripherals from a bus-powered repeater; you need a powered hub at the end.

But at least you don't need to power it in the middle.
>>
File: usb extender2.jpg (304 KB, 936x704) Image search: [Google]
usb extender2.jpg
304 KB, 936x704
>>926329

i was a month without my own internet, and had to ''borrow'' a neighbors connection, actually putting the wifi stick outside on the balcony to get enough signal. i ran a USB extender with a 25-foot ethernet cable.
>>
>>926329
Had a desktop with the wifi adapter on a card that we had this problem with. The machine was in a steel shed with a steel fence between it and the wifi router.
Just unscrewed the antenna, affixed cable into gap and ran antenna through gap in wall and up onto roof where it had line of sight.
Worked like a charm.
>>
>>926716

The thing in your case is that you had a strong signal but it was being blocked. Since the dude is working with a weak signal, the cable loss will be greater than any gains he achieves by moving the antenna, so he'll be worse off than before.
>>
File: image.jpg (789 KB, 1152x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
789 KB, 1152x1536
>>926719
I posted >>926329
I'm not necessarily working with a weak signal, just trying to get the least obstructed signal from my apartment to my basement storage unit. There is an adjacent, open and unused basement unit with a window, and I could run a cord from the window, along the wall, and through a small gap in the pipes into my basement. Wish I knew how long it would be but I don't have any measuring tape on me. I'll post another pic soon.

Since I've never done this before, my unknowns are:
How strong of a signal do I need?
Do I really need an adapter in the window or can I receive a signal just fine in my own basement through a concrete wall and some dirt?
Will consumer omnidirectional routers/adapters/access points do just fine or should I invest in yagi antennas?
>>
File: image.jpg (401 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
401 KB, 1536x1152
>>926741
>>
File: image.jpg (506 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
506 KB, 1536x1152
>>926748
>>
>>926741
>Do I really need an adapter in the window or can I receive a signal just fine in my own basement through a concrete wall and some dirt?

In the window

>Will consumer omnidirectional routers/adapters/access points do just fine or should I invest in yagi antennas?

You may get away with the regular antenna if you install a passive reflector outside the window.
>>
Would it be okay to put denim insulation on cold water pipes? Or would the condensation fuck it all up?

I have some leftover denim insulation that I used on hot water pipes. I also have some cold water pipes that I would like to insulate, but they get hella condensation all over them and get wet as fuck.
>>
What brand/circular saw should I go with for sub $80?
>>
I have some capacitors that I'm using on a breadboard. Would cutting the metal connector fuck the capacitor up? I was thinking of doing it tor bring it closer to the breadboard in an attempt to make it more compact.
>>
>>918718
1) make sure bulb is dimmable (not all are, if you use led you should be fine)
2) get dimmer in desired size and solder in
>>
>>927623
Actually, I have a good number of not dimmable led lights. So if he has led, he may or may not be fine.
>>
File: 1431393119669.jpg (66 KB, 500x644) Image search: [Google]
1431393119669.jpg
66 KB, 500x644
I'd like a cordless drill for small household projects (hanging curtain rods, for example). I don't want to spend more than $100 on one. What is a good drill I can get in this price range? Are there any brands I should avoid? Any advice would be appreciated, just moved into a new apartment, the blinds suck ass, people in the parking lot can see right into my bed. I need these curtains.
>>
File: Cordless-Drill-KC36LN.jpg (279 KB, 3000x2251) Image search: [Google]
Cordless-Drill-KC36LN.jpg
279 KB, 3000x2251
>>927965
I don't know anything but I bought this shitty thing and some drill bits for the same reason. Works well enough for little stuff.
>>
>>927452
The leads? No, it wouldn't hurt anything.

>>927047
For occasional DIY use, just get something cheap.
>>
>>928176
Black and decker is a good brand but I'd stay away from those tiny ones, at least get one with a chuck.
>>
>>928702
>Black and decker is a good brand.
You should get a trip so I can filter you.
>>
I'm replacing a heating element in my electric water heater. I took the lower one out without too much of an issue, but I can't get the new one to screw in. I also can't get the old one to go in again. I am totally confused. I don't want to call a plumber and pay $150 for him to come over and screw in a new heating element. And I know if I do get someone they're going to try getting me to buy a new water heater.

Could the corrosion and sediment buildup have gotten into the threads of the screw-in heating element? It doesn't look THAT bad.
>>
>>928715
But then youd have to deal with the " trips are for fags, on /diy/" posts
>>
>>920340
also liquid oxygen will very likely blow up in your face, as it is a very unstable and very strong oxydant
>>
>>928715
eh, it's not terrible if you read it as
"not a shitty china no name brand that you can't even get replaced when it shorts in flames the third time you use it"
But yeah... keep the receipt to prove sale for manufacturer's warranty and they may replace it when it does.
>>
File: US4827237-3.png (207 KB, 2320x3408) Image search: [Google]
US4827237-3.png
207 KB, 2320x3408
How do i separate a transformer core of this style? (see pic) In my case there's no extra room to fit a screw in between the windows, the bobbin is in the way. I've tried chiseling at the split line but not luck.
>>
Anyone watch DIY Network? I just started, pretty decent stuff, I like Renovation Realities, retards that can't even turn off power knocking down walls.

Any other entertaining things to watch that almost feel productive?
>>
>>928836
How bad of shape are they in? Just see how removing the layer covering them goes, may leave them in decent shape.

I would go over the top with something new but era appropriate but sounds like you're trying to do something unique.
>>
>>928715
>I'd like a cordless drill for small household projects (hanging curtain rods, for example).

It's all they'll ever need. It's what I've been using for years, only just now moved up to 18v Hitachi. Just get one with a chuck so you can use cheap drill bits with it, if you only have the hex driver then you need a chuck adapter or those shitty drill bits with a hex base.
>>
Hey /diy/
My bathroom tap seems to be possessed. Sometimes when you turn it, about halfway through the turn to a steady stream it lets out a noisy wail and starts trying to shake my sink apart.

It doesn't happen everytime but it's noisy enough and happens often enough to be annoying.
>>
Can anyone recommend software for designing cicruits? I'm trying fritzing just now but it doesn't have any simulation qualities.
>>
>>929008
LTspice
I've seen others say that there's other "spice" versions, but that's the one I tried.
>>
>>929007
Odd that it's just that one valve.
I can only guess:
maybe the washer is oscillating and a new washer would help.
If you have flexible hose going to it, securing it to something with tape, zip-ties, or something might help reduce the vibrations (look at it while it's noisy).
>>
File: P_20160113_000104[1].jpg (2 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
P_20160113_000104[1].jpg
2 MB, 4096x2304
How can i get these kinks out of this rug?
>>
File: cone.jpg (25 KB, 746x415) Image search: [Google]
cone.jpg
25 KB, 746x415
I made a thick sheetmetal cone for a small project (less than an inch long cone). How would i go about cutting the the ends so they look like pic related, no jagged edges?
>>
>>929362
steam them out
>>
>>929364
I wonder if something like a roto zip would work
Also it may be possible to score and snap the metal
>>
Does anyone have experience with the cheaper angle grinders?
I know there's a hand full you can get for $20 or so but I was wondering if there's a better alternative for $60 or less
Maybe a bit more if its really a lifetime tool

Won't see heavy use and most of it will be cutting metal
>>
>>929368
what confuses me is how to get a good cut if there is no straight edge to use but im a retard because i just figured it out using a marker while spining the cone to make a straight cut
>>
>>929364
Careful grinding. 4" wheel gently dropped on the end.
>>
My router's power adapter just failed and I have one from another router lying around the house but with different specs, is it safe/possible to use it?

Router model: Linksys WRT54GH
Original adapter output: 12V - 0.5A
Working adapter output: 9V - 0.6A
>>
How do I completely remove the permanent marker from a whiteboard?

I tried the 'color over it with a whiteboard marker trick' and it didn't work. Tried windex. Just smudged it a little bit.

I ended up removing most of it with methylated spirits, but now the whole board is kinda grayish and more metho doesn't seem to remove it.
>>
>>929370
Yeah, I had a harbor freight one
The spindle lock broke the first time I used it.

It sparked and caught fire about about an hours worth of use.

I bought a milwaukee 6140-30 for about 75$, and I beat the living fuck out of it. Lots of metal grinding because I was learning to weld, I also put flapper wheels on it and stripped a whole jeep cherokee with it. That was really tough on it, just going full bore for 3-4 hours at a time for like 2 weeks. Hard use for over 4 years. cutting up random shit.

It still runs to this day, I gave it to my brother and bought a different model.

Ive seen Dewaults and Mikitas at or around your 60$ mark but dont have any experience with them
>>
>>929377
It may work and never be a problem but could damage the router.
>>
>>929212
It's copper piping. I thought maybe it had wiggled a bit loose or something so went through and re-tightened it all but it hasn't made any difference.

No way the change the washer that I can see. I wanted to check the washer a while ago but I found that while the tap looks like your standard washer set there's no part that can unscrew to allow access to the washer. I thought maybe it was there and I just couldn't see the seam so I tried unscrewing it anyway but even after putting enough force on it that the piping started to bend nothing happened.
>>
>>929377
It probably won't work, it's the wrong voltage. You need something with the same voltage as the original, and with the same or greater amperage.
>>
(How) can I glue PTFE to glass? I have a lot of surface to work with and there won't be a lot of strain on the connection but I'm still worried that I'm gonna ruin the Teflon.
>>
>>929454
The classic method was to use nasty, expensive chemicals to etch PTFE to make it suitable for gluing and then use normal glue. Dunno if there are less nasty methods nowadays.
Consider screws, rails and other mechanical fasteners instead.
>>
>>929007
>>929417
Forgot to mention that it only happens over a certain section of the turn. Either opening or closing when I turn into that section it will start the noise and rattle, once I go past it it stops again.
>>
>>929454
What physical form is the ptfe in?
>>
Anyone know much about plumbing/heating? I rent a three storey house with the boiler on the middle floor. In the two bedrooms at the top, the radiators have completely stopped working, and in one bottom floor room the radiator only warms up a bit.

We had plumbers out to fix it before, and they've tried bleeding them, a chemical flush, rebalancing the system and sorting out an airlock. For a while it worked then the top two got cooler and cooler over a few days. The bar is at 1.6ish when the heating is off. The last time they came to fix it it went higher, but has since dropped (over the course of a few weeks).

It seems to be that the pressure needs to be higher for all of the radiators to work. Is this correct? If so, what reason do you think there could be for the pressure dropping?
Presumably whatever they did last time to make it work was only fixing a symptom, not addressing the actual problem.

If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this or advice about how to fix it I would be really grateful! I've asked the landlord to fix it but they take ages so in the meantime, thanks.
>>
>>929550
>I rent a three storey house

Tell your landlord to fix it. That is their job.

Try bleeding the system again. It might have an air leak and need regular bleeding. If that doesn't work, see above.
>>
>>929553
Have done mate, they just take a while to get it done despite emails and phone calls.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it permanently so that its not having to be done all the time?

Thanks for the response
>>
File: jBkx4Qs50aCDq3pEKuUHPelbc7MhmXIn.jpg (395 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jBkx4Qs50aCDq3pEKuUHPelbc7MhmXIn.jpg
395 KB, 1920x1080
/diy/ noob here, just asking how to get this broken screw out of the thread.

Thank you!
>>
>>929595
The screw is 6mm in diameter.
>>
>>929595
What would usually work is taking a thin dremel and making your own slot for a screwdriver, but that unfortunately looks too far down to do so.
>>
File: p_891098000_1.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
p_891098000_1.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>929595
You're gonna have to use a drill bit to put a small pit in the top of the screw. this will give something for pic related to bite into. it's a screw extractor. you turn the drill counter-clockwise to unscrew the screw, which causes the extractor to bite into it because it's threaded in reverse. then you simply turn the screw out

https://youtu.be/K34RS6M11uw
>>
>>929606
>>929608
Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>929413
>>929443

It starts but I won't run it with it, off to the electronics shop tomorrow it is. Thanks for the replies.
>>
I'm a hobbyist wood worker who's trying to make a business out of this. I've already got a few clients and a few jobs, so things are really looking up.

The thing is I'm thinking about making a product or two that involves some laser burning / etching of letters, numbers, etc onto the surface of a board.

I looked online real quick and I'm seeing some really high prices, 4k just cuts into my profits to much to spend that.

Do you guys have any suggestions on laser engravers that I should get, or maybe recommendations on whether I should make one myself?

The only other option I have is wood burning, but because of what these are and how many I might be making, it's less appealing.
>>
>>929612
the cheaper ones are often one time use so keep that in mind if you go buy a set
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (81 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
81 KB, 1000x1000
I bought these nema 17 motors off ebay. What driver board do you suggest for them?
>Shaft match with 5mm pulleys.
>Comes with 70cm 4-Lead Wire
>HYBRID STEPPING MOTOR 42SHD0217->24B
>Genaral specification
>Step angel:1.8°
>Number of phase:2
>Insulation resistance:100MΩmin.(500V DC)
>Insulation class:Class B
>Rotor inertia:57g.cm2
>Mass:0.24kg
>Electrical specification
>Rated voltage:3.75V
>Rated current:1.5A
>Resistence per phase:2.5Ω±10%
>Inductance per phase:50mH±20%
>Holding torque:500mN.m
>Detent torque:15mN.m
>>
This is probably a stupid question, but:

suppose I have two dc motors, each with different a different rpm. If I regulated both of their voltages to the same level, would they operate at the same rpm or would they still be different?
>>
File: 4-way-ball-catch.jpg (4 KB, 180x187) Image search: [Google]
4-way-ball-catch.jpg
4 KB, 180x187
I am looking for a recess-able catch or grasp similar to pic related. That one is called a 4-way catch, and is on mcmaster-carr.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a catch that is somewhat similar. I know there are similar styles on computer cases like the NCase M1, but I don't know what they are called.

My goal is to attach plates of metal onto a 1-inch square steel tubing frame with the ability to quickly remove them.

I would get the ones at mcmaster-carr, but they are $10 each, and I need at least 16 of them.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>930489

different. you'd have to adjust voltage independently to each one to get similar speeds. and both would drift, and vary differently with changing load.
>>
>>930798
Go to amazon or home depot and look for cabinet assories i have those exact one on mine but i wont preferr to use them on a square inch steel it wont be able to handle the weight use small magnets or velcrow
>>
So a while back one of my cousins was living with my mom and they did some work in a bathroom. They stopped before they put any lighting in above the vanity, but there's a hole in the ceiling with two wires coming out.

If I were to purchase a light fixture, how hard would it be to install? I just watched a video on how to do it, that's definitely within my ability, but there's no plate or anything in the drywall or the ceiling. How is a light likely to hang in those conditions?
>>
Prepping the ceiling for paint after removing popcorn....

I removed the popcorn from the ceiling in my bedroom, now I need to prep it for painting.

So my question is are you supposed to mud the entire ceiling before priming and painting, or is the drywall that was under the popcorn good enough after rough spots have been sanded?

Or are you always supposed to do a skim coat of mud over the ENTIRE drywall that was under the popcorn?

Also, the edges of the ceiling that meet with the walls don't seem like perfect edges. There's no gap or anything, but the edges seem more rounded than squared. Should I just caulk the entire perimeter of the ceiling?
>>
File: RecessedLighting.jpg (29 KB, 650x294) Image search: [Google]
RecessedLighting.jpg
29 KB, 650x294
>>930830

the drywall on the ceiling is obviously attached to wood studs, or slats. so the best option is to identify where those are (use a mirror) and attach a box to the side of the stud by driving 2 screws thru the side of the box (at an angle of course). if the studs are nowhere near the box, a better alternative is to use a recessed light. these essentially just need a hole in the drywall of the right size.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.