[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
computer building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 1442592411167.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442592411167.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
putting together a new computer..first time.. everything i need is inside of it...and it boots up and restarts constantly...only staying on for a second or two...if i unplug the cpu power supply (the 12v plug in)..then everything seems to run ok..and it does the samething even with the cpu out and the 12v plugged in. any ideas?
>>
>>917138
Did you consult the instruction manuals during assembly?
Did you install the little speaker on the motherboard? Does it signal anything? If so, did you check what the signal means in the manual of your motherboard?
>>
Possible bad CPU, or your CPU is incompatible with your board. Check the list of approved hardware for your motherboard (should be able to find it on the manufacturer's website) to see what CPUs your board takes, and what BIOS revision you need for it to take them.

In some really shitty cases, your board's box will say it supports some new family of chips, but then the manufacturer puts an old BIOS revision on the board, so you have to get an older chip, flash the BIOS, then put your new chip in.
>>
>>917156
I put it together on https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/
and it said everything was compatible that i bought..i have an mother board asus x99-A usb 3.1 and a i7 5820k cpu
>>
>>917142
yes, there wasnt a motherboard speaker..and no signal
>>
>>917158
lol turns out there was a motherboard speaker..came with the case though ahha..didnt see it until i started putting shit away...buuuuuuut that mother fucker doesn't do anything..soooo i'm stuck..cpu power cable plugged = forever rebooting computer...
>>
>>917246
take a picture of the side of the processor in the slot. Take a picture of the yellow arrow on the CPU.
>>
>>917247
lol that's a lot of work, which i'd gladly do but i already double checked that..gold triangle on the top right of my motherboard's CPU mount (an ASUS X99-A) and matched the gold triangle on my i7 5820k so it was also in the top right when inserted.
>>
>>917247
i'd take a quick pic but the heat sink makes a picture useless
>>
>>917138
Did you install the motherboard standoffs?
Plugged in the video card psu power?
Made sure you got all the front case connectors right?
Also gonna need a list of the parts.
>>
>>917254
yes, and only the 9 that were required. yes i plugged in the video card power from the psu.
i mounted a "Q-Connector" that came with the case (HAF 932) and plugged them in how it says to on the motherboard (I also tried unplugging all of that and pressing the on off button on the mother board and it still had the same problem). parts incoming..
>>
>>917254
-Raidmax Vampire 900W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case
-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
-Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
-Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
-Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15Q-16GVRB
>>
I connect the minimum parts without installing them in the case when I build a fresh desktop.

PSU. mobo/CPU with cooler/RAM and vidcard to begin. Confirm POST, then boot from some live media (I like live Linux USB flash drives) and run Memtest (a boot option on many Linux distros). When all is confirmed good, install those minimum parts in case and retest. Then add each part at a time and retest. Finally, install your operating system including updates. Retest, then add any specialty drivers. You get the idea.
>>
File: png.png (92 KB, 734x560) Image search: [Google]
png.png
92 KB, 734x560
>>917258
Are you getting any LED POST indication?
Check pic related for where they are located. They are supposed to light up sequentially.
>>
>>917260
ya, I understand that idea. the next thing i am going to do if nobody mentions something i can do with it all put together, is take it all out and start testing with the motherboard out of the case and all like u said. i don't have
any "live media". sorry if i sound stupid haha i am new to this (had a buddy supervise my build via skype)
>>
>>917265
It literally turns on for like 1-2 seconds or less, and allows me to see the 00 at the bottom middle. the pwr_SW and RST_SW stay lit..other than that no leds come on (aside from the one on the front fan). I'll try to take a pic
>>
>>917268
Boot it with a single stick of ram, try every slot.
>>
File: 1444155102933.jpg (444 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444155102933.jpg
444 KB, 1600x1000
>>917267
just finished..same results
>>
File: 20151219_224057.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_224057.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>917268
>>
>>917283
lol looks pretty sloppy...but i've been unplugging shit constantly :(
>>
>>917283
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=POST+code+00

Pay attention to that little double-digit display on the bottom of your board. That's issuing you POST codes.
>>
>>917138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeaAvNj1DHA
maybe this can help op
>>
>>917300
>https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=POST+code+00
hmmmmmmm lol that helped me learn something about the netherlands
>>
>>917286
If you checked the ram slot with a single stick, tried booting outside the case and made sure everything is hooked up then looks like it's a defective motherboard or a power supply.
You can give the onboard switches a go if you like:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/787870/Asus-X99-A.html?page=32#manual
>>
>>917299
that's the checklist i've been working with most of the day today..the one that the guy links to him..i definitely am not missing my cpu power...it is in the picture as the black cord coming from the opening on the left side going in to the motherboard. and when it's plugged in it just keeps restarting almost instantly..i am still reading through the link you posted
>>
>>917299
ya i'm at the end of that checklist...the only thing i haven't done off of it is taking out the motherboard and reassembling it from there
>>
I'm building a PC right now as well, and my problem is that the PC will not even turn on.

I can't tell whether my PSU or my motherboard is the problem.
>>
>>917351
Did you plug it in?
>>
>>917283
Your GPU has two 6-pin connectors, so it needs >220 Watts.

You're powering it with the motherboard (75w) and a single wire (75w). But you've connected the same wire to two ports, so you're lying to your GPU and telling it it has the motherboard (75w), and two wires (150w).

You need to either:
- Connect it to your PSU using two real actual wires, one per socket on the GPU
- Disconnect the rat's tail so that the GPU knows it's not getting enough power and needs to go into fallback mode

You're welcome.
>>
>>917351
- Unplug PSU from motherboard
- Use paperclip to short thin green wire to adjacent black wire

PSU turns on: fault in in motherboard, things plugged into motherboard
PSU stays off: fault is in PSU, power switch on PSU, power cable, (Mains socket, consumer unit, national grid)
>>
>>917357
Good eye, i just fixed that problem. Thanks! BUT that does not solve the original problem with the computer constantly rebooting
>>
File: 14506150195381768589056.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
14506150195381768589056.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Everything is out. And I still have the same problem.
>>
>>917499
You're not trying to actually run it on that conductive antistatic bag, are you?
>>
>>917499
Oh god no tell me you didn't plug it in on top of the antistatic bag. Those are conductive on the outside
>>
>>917525
LOL...ya...i took it off that...i think i already fried my mobo by having too many standoffs to begin with...i had 17 on and only needed 9 (that actually were used to hold the mobo)..im in another thread and that's what they came to the conclusion of...haha...i was being stupid i guess with the antistatic bag
>>
>>917532
Just RMA it
>>
>>917358

Thanks! I tried it out, and the PSU works. The issue I'm having is definitely the motherboard. The fans aren't turning on, and the system won't POST.

Guess I just need a new mobo
>>
>>917595
Did it ever work?

If it's brand-new and untested, have you remembered:

To connect the front-panel properly
To connect the 4-pin/8-pin CPU power connector
To connect the GPU power connector(s)
To connect the CPU fan (many motherboards won't switch on without one, or will require you to connect one, then go into the BIOS setup and check a box saying "I swear I know what I'm doing")
To have already flashed the very latest BIOS before using bleeding-edge processors or DIMMs
>>
Did you check jumpers? And read the manuall properly
>>
>>917283
Also double check your ram parity...shouldn't your ram channels need to be populated on either side? I've never built a 2011-3 rig, but older stuff had bank 1 and 2 on either side, then 2 and 3 on either side in that kind of configuration...
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.