[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fibres!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_20151217_180032.jpg (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_180032.jpg
1 MB, 1280x960
Thread for knitting/crochet/or anything fibre or textile related. What do you have on your needles/hooks/arms/etc.?

Right now I'm powering through knitting a hat for a friend. I dunno if I'll get it sent to her in time for Christmas though. It's kind of last minute, I wasn't planning on knitting presents until I found out my local yarn place had a sale one.
>>
File: IMG_20151218_143446.jpg (645 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151218_143446.jpg
645 KB, 1024x1820
Well that was odd

I ended up finishing the hat last night, I wanted to spend today weaving ends in and blocking so I can have it mailed by either today or next Monday. Probably won't make it to her by Christmas but oh well
>>
File: IMG_20151218_143634.jpg (665 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151218_143634.jpg
665 KB, 2048x1152
Here it is finished with ends weaved in. It's drying in the kitchen now.

Kinda itching to knit something else now but I'm not going back to the yarn store till after Christmas (or else I'd be broke from all the yarn I want to buy)
>>
File: images (4).jpg (15 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
15 KB, 384x384
>>916229
>>916222
How long did it take you to learn this?
>>
>>916687
Not that long, maybe a few months. For a few years I only knew the knit stitch, and round March this year I actually tried learning through videos and online tutorials and shit.

I'm still learning really, everytime I find a new pattern I'd like to try, I still have to skim through for new abbreviations and stitches and look up how to do them.
>>
>>916611

Not too shabby.

I'm doing my Christmas power-knitting right now. Have a giant seed-stitch cowl to finish, 3 fancy washcloths, and the second muffatee of a pair to finish.

When that's done, I need to start work on some pillows that I promised my mom that I know will not be done in time for Christmas. After that, I can FINALLY knit something for myself for a change.
>>
I'm learning how to nalbind. Some really old predecessor of knitting and crochet that the vikings did.
>>
File: 10501.jpg (24 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
10501.jpg
24 KB, 360x361
spun 6 oz on a new prototype spindle a couple days back :) I have been crocheting an afghan, a really big granny square from handspun on and off for a few months. I have a couple rows on a dpn that someday will be a hat, a scarf on my rigid heddle and bobbin lace trivet in process. too many works in process :)
>>
>>917398

Very interesting!

What kind of advice would you give to someone who's a fairly experienced knitter looking to get into spinning?
>>
>>917420
I'd get a drop spindle to start with, even if you plan on getting a wheel in the future. (I do make spindle for a living but it's honestly the best way) it's less of an investment and I feel they easier to learn to draft on.
spinning is all about drafting, thinning out the fiber right before putting the twist in. it's a simple concept but can takes some time to build up muscle memory. There are a lot of vids on youtube.. (search park and draft, it breaks the spinning down into steps) I would get the book, respect the spindle abby franquemont and the companion video (if you can find it).
Join a some groups on facebook,
fiberartists is a good forum (sorry the url made it unpostable so you'll have to search) and there are plenty of them on Ralvelry as well. I would also see if there is a fiber guild in your area.. most spinners are happy to teach. Spinning does take some time to get the hang of so the best advice is to practice for 15 to 20 minutes a day... if it get frustrating set it down (it'll be there tomorrow) but after a week or 2 things will magically start working. knitting your own yarn is very special but the best part is you can get ribbons for it with little sheep on them at fiber shows.
>>
Does anyone have some good beginner's patterns/books they'd recommend for crocheting? I've already made a scarf and a basic beanie and would like to expand out. Thanks!
>>
I have two weeks off trade school, I'm bored as shit and I don't have enough gear at home to have fun diy projects so I figured I'd try it out.

Is there a type of knitting that's usually more recommended to beginners?
I'd do some research myself but I'd rather not spend time on these types of websites.
>>
got this guy for my wife for christmas, pretty stoked for her

it's a singer 237 fashion mate, i don't know much about sewing but it seems rock solid

picked it up for 22 dollars
>>
>>917117
Thanks man!
I always did admire people who could knit so much for Christmas, mostly when I do presents it's a mad rush over a week cos I couldn't decide whether or not I should knit someone something or not

>>917798
Starting off with straight needles and knitting scarves/dishcloths seem to be how most people start out.

http://knittinghelp.com/ is a pretty good place to start. But as you move on from the basic knit/purl stitches, it should be simple enough to youtube any particular stitches that patterns call for.

>these types of websites
They're not so bad! A lot of what I've learned in knitting is all Google and trying out patterns people have written up. It does lean towards more in the middle aged woman category, but I feel like it's become a bit more in to knit again.
>>
Crochetfag reporting in. I'm stitching a hook case for myself since my wife is fed up with me stealing hers to take to work with me. (I work a mostly-quiet overnight shift and crochet to pass the time.) It's took early for me to post a WIP pic yet; there's really not much to see.
>>
>>916222

Anyone make pants?
>>
File: IMG_20151228_133008.jpg (334 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_133008.jpg
334 KB, 1440x2560
Finished making my first scarf today. It looks surprisingly fashionable. (Yeah the photo is of poor quality).

The next thing I'm going to make is a pair of socks. That will be hard, considering the patterns and stuff I need to learn.
>>
>>921911
I would get some circular needles and make a few hats before socks.
>>
>>918735
Those old singers are pretty solid. My mom has a similar one she ought back when it was brand new, still uses it to this day.
They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure...
>>
File: IMG_20151230_181943.jpg (535 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_181943.jpg
535 KB, 1024x1820
>>921911
I can't quite make out the stitch. Garter? Good job on finishing an object though! It's always a good feeling.

I second what anon above said about trying to knit hats first: it'll cover a bit of the skills needed in knitting socks and you'll get to experience knitting on the round.

Anywho I posted this wip scarf in an older thread but it was under lamplight, now that it's in sunlight I can see all my mistakes ahaha.

I'm kind of worried about blocking it when the time comes though cos it's a light and a dark colour. Is it true I can set the dye by soaking it in cold water and vinegar first?
>>
>>922188
>lovely cabling. I think I tink and frog more than knit. lol
>>
>>921916
>>922188

Yeah, my mom (haha) said exactly the same thing. So I'm going to make her a scarf in which I practice several types of stitches.

>>922188
I don't know the type of stitch, because english is not my native langauge. Anyway, your pattern looks really fancy, no one notices the mistakes besides you. And the mistakes give knitted stuff their charm :)
>>
>>917791
I know shit all about crocheting, but have you tried the website Ravelry? They should have tons of free patterns.
>>
>>922696
I sure haven't, I'll check that out today.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.