[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone priced out making a large sized "tiny house"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-02-12-35.png (599 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-02-12-35.png
599 KB, 720x1280
Has anyone priced out making a large sized "tiny house"? I'd rather live in a furnished shed aka tiny house than spend my money on a place to sleep.
>>
>>915375
5 to 10K. Most of that cost is tiny appliances and the trailer the house sits on. ( needs to be on a trailer to pass through legal loop holes in most states).
The biggest cost is having a place to put it. You're either going have to squat, find a trailer park, or find some land with utility hook ups.
>>
Just move on to a trailer park.
>>
>>915377

You aren't serious are you? Unless OP is a licenced plumber, electrician, and has access to free everything, it's gonna cost at least $25K.
>>
>>915375
tiny house aka trailer

just give up and become trailer trash. it looks fun
>>
>>915375
Wouldn't a larged size tiny house be a regular sized house?
>>
>>915438

Or you could move into those "retirement community" trailer parks in the south. Grandma lives in one. No white trash in the place, just old people that walk their little rat dogs around and talk about yard sales.
>>
2 car garage with room attic type of thing? Rafters gotta be designed to support your shit cant just slap up premade 24' 2x4 trusses and expect it them not to sag or collapse.
>>
>>915455
This.

You'll always have access to good food.
>>
>>915455
My parents live there now and I grew up in one. There were younger people, but a huge portion was retired people. Not a bad place to live at all. No crime or other bullshit to mention.
>>
>>915455
My grandparents used to winter in one in Arizona.

They all looked the same. They were quiet. Not a bad place to live.

I accidentally went into the wrong trailer when I was visiting when I was like 13. The old lady there gave me cookies and kept asking if she should call my parents because I was lost (I was one street over.)
>>
File: BandA.jpg (211 KB, 920x690) Image search: [Google]
BandA.jpg
211 KB, 920x690
>>915494
I think on the surface they look really nice, but there are hidden costs. Parks have kinda strict rules about what you can do about noise, sheds, decorations etc.

A standard double wide house will only cost about $50k for a pretty nice one. BUT the park fees are usually about $500-$1000 a month depending on the location and amenities. (CA resident here)

Not to mention those trailer houses are built as cheaply as possible using bottom of the barrel materials and construction quality. So they require maintenance and when something breaks, you're disassembling a good chunk of the house to fix it.

Tiny houses are great if you're fine with being a nomad and kinda camping all the time. You'll be using water tanks, batteries, and generators a lot because as aforementioned, you'll either be in a walmart parking lot, paying lot fees, or being a jerk and squatting wherever you can park it. Then you've got to maintain the truck to pull your house.

If you're stuck on the idea of a mobile tiny house, look into buying an old school bus and renovating it that way. It doesn't overcome any of the issues of where to put it, but its an alternative if you don't know how to buy a truck and trailer.
>>
You could buy a trailer cheaper.
>>
>>915375
There are some serious considerations to make before you settle on a "tiny house".

1: Do you need to be mobile?
If not then why the fuck are you trying to build tiny?

2: Do you have a severe limitation on space?
If not then why the fuck are you trying to build tiny?

Materials are cheap, and information is practically free. Learn all you can about electrical work, plumbing, and woodworking, then just build a reasonably sized house to the dimensions of the most economical lumber you can find. Plan to make less cuts and leave less waste.
>>
>>915496
>The old lady there gave me cookies and kept asking if she should call my parents because I was lost (I was one street over.)

just FYI, probably that old lady would've liked your parents to know she'd taken care of you.

People get sometimes get lonely as they age.
>>
Getting any insurance could be problematic in any nonstandard build
>>
>>915597
Nah, most companies are now starting to insure weird shit like tiny houses and even drones for work and recreation.
>>
>>915375
Can't beat living in a shed, having direct access to wall studs is great
>>
>>915618
Well I doubt they are competitive.
>>
>>915497

The problems with "tiny homes" is insurance and actually finding a city/county that will allow you to call it a house. Unless you live in bumfuck nowhere or some 3rd world country, you're going to have a hard time getting permits, insurance, etc.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.