[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok diy, i need a bit of help. I want to make an arcade stick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: jc_as01bk_1.jpg (58 KB, 600x622) Image search: [Google]
jc_as01bk_1.jpg
58 KB, 600x622
Ok diy, i need a bit of help.

I want to make an arcade stick without using any pre bought parts, this includes the joystick itself.

i have been toying around with this idea for the better part of 2 years, and i think its possible,

using cherry black switches as the buttons, and as the directions, i think i could get a decent setup for it and if i wanted to go a bit more advanced, a spring, wood, and stick could probably make a decent joystick, though it would look weird as fuck.

my issue is not knowing a damn thing about the Teensy and if it will work the way i want it to, which would be through xpadder.

or if there is a cheaper way to do what i want.

i could likely get a prebuilt joystick for cheaper, or get my soul caliber 2 stick to work (have a ps2 adaptor for the pc, it doesn't work through that) but i want to do this as a fun project if possible.

anyone able to lend me their expertise?
>>
>>913331
>without using any pre bought parts
>>913331
>using cherry black switches as the buttons

Which is it?
>>
look up "Keyboard Hack" and make one out of an old keyboard. or just get a GPWiz
>>
Cherry MX for the buttons should work fine - I think you will be disappointed using Cherry MX for the joystick switches though - the travel is so big that your joystick will have a huge deadzone.
>>
File: FTWJ3DNH3NKZKPH.LARGE.jpg (100 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FTWJ3DNH3NKZKPH.LARGE.jpg
100 KB, 1024x768
Cherry MX switches will be good for the main button but you definitely want to do a switch style like pic related. I found this pic on instructables I don't have the link but it should be an easy find just search joystick on there and a bunch of results will pop up
>>
>>913331
>wanting to make your own joystick

Thats dumb
>>
>>913342
what i mean is i dont want to buy specialty switches, things purpose built for this, if i wanted i could buy every single aspect of the thing, but i want to make as much as i can... while i could probably make a switch myself, a cherry black will give me the most reliability.

>>913390
either that or i have to preplan the movement to have the switches slightly depressed from the get go.

>>913426
will look into this.

>>913440
well think of it this way, fighting games a joystick works just fine, but a shmup they dont feel as good as clear cut buttons,

thats why im thinking make 4 buttons for the base, and than have the stick removable so the 4 buttons can be used like a keyboard.

if i use, >>913426 as a baseline for how do position the cherries, i think i could make a pretty decent stick with a screw and a spring or something, then encase it. granted this would be purpose built for a stick and non removeable, but still.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1431896219369.jpg (32 KB, 960x580) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1431896219369.jpg
32 KB, 960x580
>>914635
I'm sure the MXs will work in the same place as the picture I shared but I'd inset them a little bit so they have less travel but thats just me. the travel on the switch might be a desired aspect for you and if so go for it.
You could use a longish screw and get a couple nuts, washers, a rubber grommet and spring with enough tension as you desire. Starting at the screw head add some washers (this will be the part that makes contact with your switches) then drop your spring on (glue it if you want but its not necessary) then drill a hole in in your surface and add your grommet to the hole then stick the the screw in the grommet adding a nut and tightening it all the way down to the grommet and tighten it to add tension on the spring and you should be golden. Then screw on a better handle.
>>
>>913331
buy some omrons u dickweed.
>>
>>913331
Most of those use some sort of miniature snap-action switch for the buttons. Why do you want to use a keyboard switch?
>>
>>915006
Cherry makes more than keyswitches they have comparable one to omron
>>915010
He probably has some laying around from an old keyboard or he swapped some out
>>
>>915021
>>915010

they cherry switch i want to use is specifically because i can easily make something to fit on the... the fuck is the + part of the switch called? googling "miniature snap-action switch" just feeds me things that would be more difficult to properly fit a button on top of.

>>915006
i'm guessing those are the switches that good arcade sticks/cabinets use, issue i'm having is those sell for 3-5$ each, whereas for the amount i would put on a stick, i could buy a full keyboard worth of cherry's for the same price.
>>
Go to BYOAC. http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
>>
Or you could be less of a fag and just use an old keyboard and build a "Hitbox" style joystick
>>
>>915006
Omron snap switches are like 2.5-7 dollars a piece, cherry MX blacks on digikey are like $0.90 so he could buy all his buttons for far less than the omrons plus if he buys 10 they get cheaper
>>
>>913331
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfk86wruHJAhVW-GMKHYwCA1cQtwIIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dq4XIWQ_bFT0&usg=AFQjCNHvdTfc-BtJrFe3fpNHGCfMceS9iA&sig2=vYWvJu184Os-R55PhfTXQQ&bvm=bv.110151844,d.cGc
>>
>>914635
>/.../ but a shmup they dont feel as good as clear cut buttons

Try something different than the standard issue Sanwa JLF (knockoff), engage distances on that stick pretty much puts it in fighter territory.

Can't get much tighter than Seimitsu LS-40, which is great for shmups. Will teach you proper execution in fighters as well.
>>
File: IMG_20151123_170516.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151123_170516.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I actually have some wooden enclosures with USB a to b couplers built up at
http://kickassatron.com if you want to get a pre built one.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.