[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I spent yesterday assembling my parallel-vertical ebb and flow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ebb and flow.jpg (59 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ebb and flow.jpg
59 KB, 640x640
I spent yesterday assembling my parallel-vertical ebb and flow rig.

Here's what I learned:

-The fill/drain port should be as close to the bottom as possible, so that a slight inclination will allow the tube to drain completely while making it possible for the water level on the high side to get... well, almost a high as right next to the fill port.
-If your setup involves multiple horizontal tubes and a single vertical fill line, then you need valves on each of them (except the topmost) to restrict flow, or else the bottom tubes will overflow.
-The overflow drain port should be much wider than fill port, or else the tubes might be filled much faster than the water can drain through them. The topmost point in the hole should be lower than the bottommost point in the plant-holes, or else the wate will exit the pipes through the wrong holes.
-Set the hoses so that they won't kink or have syphons anywhere, because they'll interfere with the flow/drain. Use 90ยบ joints if you have them.
>>
Instructions unclear, bleeding profusely.

Seriously though, do you have more detail about this, it looks interesting.
>>
>>913201
It's just a box full of water, a pump and a timer to fill the pipes every 12 minutes or so
>>
Tomatoes get very big quickly, same with their roots. You're going to need some support.
>>
>>913248
I'll take care of that, but thank you for reminding me.
>>
>>913196
Those serrano peppers? If so, can you just buy serranos from the grocery store, chop them up and sow the seeds till one of them grows big enough? Or do you have to buy actual seeds from somewhere?
>>
>>913319
Not OP here, but fresh peppers from the grocery store should have viable seeds in them.
>>
>>913322
Thanks, been wanting to grow some hot peppers, but haven't had the exactly know how till recently and decided to start on tomatoes and Serranos since I use them a lot.
>>
>>913319
Buying them as seeds is more reliable. The peppers sold at the stores are often hybrids and the end results from those are random and don't even taste like the fruit the seeds originally came from.
>>
I build a setup just like this, but only one tube with plants. It failed because i couldn't provide enough light to keep them from growing to stringy, when i finally took it apart, the roots were so long they were almost completely plugging the drainage tube. So OP watch that drainage tube so you don't have an over flow
>>
>>913529
fyi I've found the dollar store a good resource in spring for seeds. Tons of heirloom varieties (hierloom is what you want, plants make seeds of same plant. or get other types and keep buying seed, either way. $0.25 a packet, so even if it's 1/3 size of $2 burpees from grocery store, win)
Also, I've heard a lot of people have issues with that kind of system where the plants next to the fill port grow root systems that block the plants farther down the pipe from getting any water, and then drown themselves/rot because too much water. although that's more with nft.

>>913232
could also do a mechanical system with a cheap tiny pump and a bell syphon, where the pump fills an elevated reservoir and the syphon flushes whenever it's full. So a 30 gph pump and a syphon that flushes whenever it hits 10 gallons = a 20 minute cycle.
of course, you'd want an even smaller pipe because i feel like you want your flush size to be like 2 gallons, not 10.
>>
>>913196
Avid gardener here.... i'd recommend growing strawberrys or herbs in this. Looks a little small to sustain what could be large tomato plants. Spacing will be hard to keep trimmed.

Good luck though and post results.
I will give further growing info when I can.

Have you thought about Aquaponics?
>>
As long as you have good circulation the water in the bottom of the reservoir shouldn't affect the roots too much and will actually leave room for error in case something happens to your pump for a few hours. If you plan on using that for marijuana everything is way too close prepare for crowding
>>
>>913196
pull the tomatos out while you can, you wont be hapy, believe me.
In a permanently irrigated system the roots grow like crazy. I had to clear the piping of my aquaponics system several times and pulled out bucktes of roots.
Use this thing for strawberrys, herbs, chilis and the likes.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.