[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I am currently collecting materials to make a hot tub
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Square not round.jpg (143 KB, 971x684) Image search: [Google]
Square not round.jpg
143 KB, 971x684
Hey guys, I am currently collecting materials to make a hot tub like the one in the picture. I am going to be making it square not round for strength and it will be easier to make. I've got the coil, pipes, fibreglass and gel coat all for free already. someone I know it working on making a 3d model for me to make a plan from. However as I have been thinking about making it I was wondering about the displacement of the water. I want to make it big enough for 6/7 people how do hot tubs usually work in regards to always being full whether there is one or 6/7 people inside it? The only way I can think it to have a run off for overflow into a tank that then pumps back into the hot tub. (as I am filtering the tank anyway I could just hook it up to the same pipe work) Yet none of the hot tubs you can buy seem to have the same set up?
>>
>>987998
See how in your pic there is a rather large gab between the water level and the top of the tub? That's to allow for displacement, just build up the sides high enough to allow for the water to rise without spilling over.
>>
>>987998
Round is the strongest shape for resisting internal pressure.
>>
>>988036
This anon is correct.

We used to have a redneck hot tub out at my Grandparents family farm.

Similar setup to your picture. Used a metal cattle trough for the inside, think it had some ratchet straps to re-enforcement and a wooden surround.

The main issue with it was that there was no temperature control. We eventually stopped using it because one of my young cousins got burned because it had been running for a long time.

Luckily the burns weren't that bad 2nd degree burns to about 50% of the body. Luckily it wasn't that deep.
>>
Don't make it square
>>
>>988053
Just because square isn't the absolute optimal form doesn't mean he shouldn't use it. Ease of construction is a real thing that should be considered, if he ever wants to get the project finished.

Besides, square is more optimal for space, and can fit more people in (plus you can lean back against the wall in the corners which personally is nice).

With some sort of frame behind it, and enough layers, the fiberglass should be plenty strong enough.
>>
File: CedarHotTub1_000.jpg (20 KB, 423x346) Image search: [Google]
CedarHotTub1_000.jpg
20 KB, 423x346
That picture is of a hot hot tub with a metal/ceramic tub insert. Wooden barrel tubs without an insert are made of boards that have a slightly angled edges so they fit together in a cylinder. There are large, very heavy duty steel hoops that get tightened around the tub. A hot tub full of water will weigh around 6000 pounds, so it has to be very sturdy. They are generally made from wood that resists rotting like cedar. You also have to consider the foundation, most hot tubs will need a solid concrete foundation.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.