[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leather-craft time!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: small.jpg (1 MB, 2448x1380) Image search: [Google]
small.jpg
1 MB, 2448x1380
Check out this Surface Pro 3/4 leather sleeve case I made :)

Here is the video of the making process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCFNj-0IkjI
>>
>>911207
How's your sleep apnea?
>>
>>911207
>>911332
great
>>
Quick question: I have waterproofing she wax that I used to my boots, worked great. Can I use the same wax for my recently purchased leather mitts (Hestra)? Should work fine right?
>>
>>911750
shoe* wax
>>
>>911750
Yes. Unless it's cheap bonded leather, in which case it might make it weird texture. Just make sure the leather is thick enough.

But you might want your gloves to be able to breathe a little.
>>
>>911207
Great work! My only question: what's that white stuff you apply on the inside of the case?
>>
>>911834
we always call it CMC in Hong Kong, have no idea of the full name though.
>>
>>912125
CMC or Carboxymethyl Cellulose

aka burnishing gum.
>>
i have way too many projects as it is, but I'd like to try my hand at some leatherworking i guess.

any good source of cheap scrap leather i could work with online?
essential tools ect?
>>
>>912221
Razor knife, cutting mat or wooden bench to cut on. Hole punches or hand heald hole puncher. Stitching chisels. Contact cement. Needle and thread. Can add on a wooden dowel to burnish the ends or upgrade to a plastic or wooden wheel. Even felt does a great job smoothing edges.
>>
>>912221
Women's purses from goodwill, can be good source of cheap leather.
>>
>>911207
>made
You didn't even raise, butcher, and process the cow that leather came from.
>>
Accidentally clicked here trying to get to /fa/ and I'm glad I did. Thats some cool shit man.
>>
>>913729
Just like no one ever truly made anything then? Because no man ever made the elements his metal works came from, nor the wood we build homes with. Stop being a Deusche
>>
>>911207
Great job OP!

You've got me wanting to start a project!
Any tips or resources you would recommend to a newbie?

I saw your reply about the necessary tools, and wanted to ask what that tool on the right of your image is called
>>
>>914197
Not OP here. Posted about the tools though. I would recommend Ian Atkinson's YouTube channel. AKA Leodus leather. He has some good ideas and gets better and better. And mostly YT in general. You start small and work your way uo. Get cheap stuff on eBay or from Tandy when it is on sale.
>>
>>914407
Thank you for the reply I will definitely look into it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.