[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to get a kickass turntable this Christmas, which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 14
File: CR8005A-BK-A.jpg (182 KB, 2000x1767) Image search: [Google]
CR8005A-BK-A.jpg
182 KB, 2000x1767
I'm looking to get a kickass turntable this Christmas, which makes this piece of junk obsolete. So, I'm going to completely dismantle it and rebuild it. I'm going to 86 the speakers and make it so I just plug it in via aux. I know the whole player is shitty, i just want to make something interesting looking.
Has it been done before? Can I see some builds?
>>
File: essential_6.jpg (83 KB, 1000x747) Image search: [Google]
essential_6.jpg
83 KB, 1000x747
I'm getting this one, so I think I'd like to aim for a minimalist look.
>>
>>911071
1) look for a belt driven. If the belt isn't showing, then don't get it

2) look for a thick heavy plate. I mean 1 inch thick at least

3) look for conical shaped under legs

4) you must get an external mono amplifier. Decent ones let you choose the voltage and resistors, according to your turntable cartridge

5) expend some money on a cork mat, for the turntable plate

6) learn how to propetly ground your turntable, otherwise you will listen to hiss sound

7) learn the basics on how to handle your records: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QfjcgDjsY

8) learn where to get quality records

9) get some high end amplifier

10) get some decent speakrs or headphones

that >>911071 record player sucks, to the trash it goes

this one >>911072 looks decent, but it lacks the thick plate, so I would give it a 5/10

if you hate the inconvenience of doing all this shit, then don't get a record player, get an spotify account and some nice headphones
>>
>>911071
>I know the whole player is shitty, i just want to make something interesting looking.
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I'd even bother to go that far with it. Even with the guts ripped out, these made in China Crosleys are only good for firewood.

Just my opinion, but try checking out a nice turntable from the 70's era. Some of the best built equipment comes from the 70's, early 80's. Not sure who makes a really decent turntable these days. Some research will definitely pay off.

>>911087
>1) look for a belt driven. If the belt isn't showing, then don't get it
Nothing wrong with direct drive, though.
And a reasonably good belt driven model doesn't necessarily have to have an external belt.
>>
>>911071
Just throwing out a couple of ideas here.

Install some leds. One for a spot light so you can see where you're placing the needle. Others as decoration.

Replace the belt drive with a stepper motor and control it with an arduino. Bury the arduino in the turntable (or behind it) and make a control panel on the front for speed control, direction control, etc.

>>911087
Get a belt driven one? Really? Any direct drive turntable is automatically 50x better than a belt driven one. Maybe you just like the warbly sound of belts though. Who am I to judge?
>>
>>911072
i have that one.
the sound is fine. but the overall quality of it sucks.

the rubber band slips off easily and breaks easily.
and the antiskid sucks ass.
>>
File: majiklp12_-_cherry_small.jpg (3 KB, 85x85) Image search: [Google]
majiklp12_-_cherry_small.jpg
3 KB, 85x85
>>911417
I have pic related. Linn sondek LP12. It's a proven design over the last 40 years and second hand I've seen them sell for upward of £3000
>>
>>911511
I had to pull up a wiki article on it since I wasn't too familiar with it..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12
It holds quite a legacy of itself. Beautiful and simple design. Gotta love the wood cabinet, too.
>>
>>911423
>Get a belt driven one? Really? Any direct drive turntable is automatically 50x better than a belt driven one. Maybe you just like the warbly sound of belts though. Who am I to judge?

As much as that other guy is a big oaf, there is a reason that almost every high end turntable is belt driven.
It transmits noise and vibrations directly into the platter. If you had real high end equipment it would matter.

>look at me mah, im a DJ!
>>
File: wat89328.jpg (24 KB, 400x407) Image search: [Google]
wat89328.jpg
24 KB, 400x407
>>911423
> add LEDs and an arduino
> direct drive is better than belt

Your millennial is showing.
>>
>>911511

NICE THUMBNAIL FAGGOT
>>
>>911551

you cant cut and scratch on a belt drive effectively

piss off with this belt drive shit. direct drive or GTFO
>>
>>911563
I wrote the name of what it was and no one knew anyway so a Google Search would surely follow.

Just be grateful that I didn't post a photo of your filthy mother.
>>
>>911423
if you are tired of getting shit on for using arduino. just substitute arduino for atmega or avr in posts
>>
>>911599

why bother posting a damn pic thats not even viewable then? and if you are going to post what you own why not at least post a somewhat sized picture so WE dont have to do your lazy work and google the fucking model number
>>
>>911708
> EVERYONE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING FOR ME

He didn't even need to post, but he chose to. If you are too much of a spoonfed millenial cunt to take what rope people VOLUNTARILY offer and run with it, you prolly don't belong on a board called "do it yourself" and should consider leaving immediately.
>>
>direct drive is better
>use a stepper motor
>cant cut or scratch with belt driven

Kill yourselves milenials

Seriolsly, just do it
>>
>>911863
I don't know what your problem is with mellenials, but I'm actually 38. Yes direct drive is better than a belt driven turntable any day of the week. I recommended putting an arduino in there because OP was looking for a diy project, and it seems like a fun thing to be able to program a turn table.

The thing that makes you come across as a mallenial (ot maybe a year or two older) is that you have new tools at your disposal like the arduino, but you're so young and punk that you flat out refuse to use them. Why don't you get over your teenage angst already and start doing something interesting instead of being so cooler than thou.
>>
>>911891
Belt drive, when used with a heavy metal platter, does not suffer wow and flutter. Period. Direct drive, unless exceptionally well executed (reads, fucking expensive) or unless you use piece of crap cartridges incapable of detecting it, Introduce rumble into the audio, period. Go sit a scope on your outputs, track into the lead out (silent) part of a record and watch for [mains frequency]Hz fundamentals and harmonics. This is an OBJECTIVE test. It is not audiophile wank, it is not "muh opinion", it is a testable quantity. So go on, test it, realise you are wrong, then shut you damn mouth.

> program a turn table.
Program it to do what you dense fuck? Play greensleeves via a midi interface? It's a fucking record player. The only functions you could modify are RPM and maybe cartridge gain. But yes, lets put a fucking cogged stepper motor into the drive train, there is no way those vibrations will not be picked up by the vibration sensitive cartridge, a perfect choice for a piece of audio gear. Lets also throw a microcontroller in close proximity to the cart as well, who doesn't love digital hash being blasted around inside their highly sensitive audio chain. And lets slap some LED's on there like every cheap piece of shit audio manufacturer is doing. The more LED's it has, the less they'll notice how rubbish it sounds, especially with that stepper motor screaming away like a printer, amirite?

> Why don't you get over your teenage angst already and start doing something interesting instead of being so cooler than thou.
Why don't you get over your need to bandwagon and realise a microcontroller is not always the answer? You'd be the guy non-ironically tubocharging a mower like it was some sort of revolution in garden technology, while anyone else with half a clue would go "but why? all he's doing is making sure it's going to blow its gaskets in a weks time, there is no advantage here"
>>
>>911708
The picture regardless of size was completely unnecessary.

I stated the model.
We've all seen a turn table.

What more do you need?

Entirely up to you if you want to research the model further. Stop being a dependant cunt.
>>
>>911905
Wow, maybe I should have put a trigger warning at the front of my post. This seems like a real button pushing topic for you.

Anyway, keep enjoying listening to music being played at the wrong speed if you like. Belt drive tables don't spin up very fast and even when they're going, they'll never be at the exact correct speed. Same reason why cds are better than tapes. And you make the same tired argument that somehow the old inferior technology will always be better no matter what. If you're getting rumble from a direct drive table, you got a piece of shit turntable. I'd wager you still back up your computer on to punch cards too, cuz their old and cool and no one uses them anymore.

As far as what can you do with an arduino and a turntable, well, you're limited by your imagination and, apparently, you just don't have a very big imagination. Not every movement and action in this universe has to be perfectly efficent. Sometimes people do this thing called art. And although art can, at times, be hugely inefficient, it's still way cooler than creating a perfect reconstruction of the music that somebody else created.

I'm thinking that's the big difference here. I'm the musician and you're the listener. I'm the painter and you're the observer. I'm interested in creating, and you're interested in replicating. No big deal. It takes all types.
>>
>>911918

I hope you're joking mate. All high end turntables will be belt driven unless they're explicitly made for scratching.
>>
>>911925
I do about 50% listening and 50% scratching.
>>
File: 1449433059132.jpg (18 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1449433059132.jpg
18 KB, 500x332
>>911918
>>911933
Oh god, he is actually serious
>>
>>911925
But this guy is apparently a nigger into scratching, why else would he be recommending inferior direct drive turn tables?
>>
>>911936
If you worked all summer to afford a Technics SL1200, you would try to justify it too!
>>
File: Technics_SL-1200MK2-2.jpg (264 KB, 2514x1710) Image search: [Google]
Technics_SL-1200MK2-2.jpg
264 KB, 2514x1710
best turntable ever
>>
>>911918
I'm not the guy who called you out. And it's funny that you make the "listener/musician argument", I am both, I do session viola and guitar work, I am also a recording engineer. I would show you the 48 channel SSL G series I spend most of my days behind but I'm not at work, and as I have not long moved into my current location or my home studio would be significantly lore setup than this, this is only what I have bothered pulling out of boxes so far.

You are still arguing feels versus quantity, with a bit of ad hominem thrown in for good measure. And, apparently, you still don't see a problem with putting a stepper motor into a turntable. You claim to understand the need for fidelity, yet you are happy to undermine that for the sake of "muh buzzword development board"

As I say, go put a scope on your DD or get out.
>>
File: 20151208_105310.jpg (875 KB, 1714x2285) Image search: [Google]
20151208_105310.jpg
875 KB, 1714x2285
>>911942
Oops.

Also.

>>911933
I wish I had seen this before I posted, opinion discarded, have a nice day kid. If you are actually 38, you need to reevaluate your life. Chicks only like DJ's that aren't old enough to be their fathers..
>>
>>911933
>scratching on a real record anymore
>not off your ipod.
Do you even dj
>>
>>911918
>And although art can, at times, be hugely inefficient, it's still way cooler than creating a perfect reconstruction of the music that somebody else created.

..are you actually arguing that it is ok to take a hit on playback quality for the sake of "art"..? It's ok to shit in the ACTUAL artists intention for their music for the sake of your own desires?

Fuck, please drop a soundcloud or something, I NEED to hear what your interpretation is..
>>
I wish the po po could take ips from a thread and determine that their owners would be shot. I would have recommended this thread in its entirety
>>
File: 1439999285-17195-342.jpg (51 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1439999285-17195-342.jpg
51 KB, 700x700
Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3300 reporting for duty
>>
File: LT-classic-Photo6_640.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
LT-classic-Photo6_640.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>dragging a needle across a piece of vinyl
Plebians, plz.
>>
I have some cheap 80s pioneer table I bought for 5$ and added a Shure M97xE cartridge on it.

In all reality, it plays music really fucking well.
I strobed it, and it runs true.
A good cartridge to not ruin my vinyl.

Sure, a much more expensive turntable could sound somewhat better and be better in areas, but there hits a point of diminishing returns.

Its a spinning platform with a needle.

Aside from a good cart, your stereo itself is more important for the overall sound.
>>
File: 1448597920841.jpg (52 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
1448597920841.jpg
52 KB, 450x337
>>911918
>Belt drive tables don't spin up very fast

well it seems that the 38 years old kid knows how to read wikipedia... I give you a credit for that

but you miss the part of "understanding" what it really ment with "doesn't spin up very fast".

It means basically that belt driven turntables have a spooling time, and under this spooling time, the record won't play at the desired speed.

After reaching the desired RPM's, the plate and record WILL ALWAYS SPIN at the desired RPM. That's because of the high intertia the thick plate has, and because the belt compensates small speed changes that could occur during any normal playback.

So TL;DR; Milenials + Wikipedia - Know what the fuck they are talking about = Trash
>>
File: 84832043.jpg (139 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
84832043.jpg
139 KB, 470x470
>>912033
Milenial Syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
>>
>>911918
>Anyway, keep enjoying listening to music being played at the wrong speed if you like. Belt drive tables don't spin up very fast and even when they're going, they'll never be at the exact correct speed

this fucking asshole...
>>
>>911708
I truly dreaded the day this kind of autism inevitably leaked into this board.
>>
op here, its been a few days but im not satisfied.
if i wanted to buy the ultimate music machine to play at the correct speeds and play the same notes jimi hendrix himself envisioned, id buy a 2,000 dollar machine and quit buying diapers for my kid for a fucking month.

>>911918 im a fan of this opinion. its more of an art and a hobby of collecting vinyls that i appreciate. whatever distortion the turntable gives off, adds to the effect.

basically, im trying to build a rig to play my shitty records on. thats the best way about learning about turntables (or any machine at that). build it from the ground up and make improvements as needed.
>>
>>912544
op

F.U.C.K. Y.O.U.

/thread
>>
File: 1447046968429.jpg (42 KB, 568x311) Image search: [Google]
1447046968429.jpg
42 KB, 568x311
>>912544
>>
>>911087
audiophilia is a slippery slope
>>
>>912583
What exactly did he say that was so egregious?

>>912544
>im a fan of this opinion. its more of an art and a hobby of collecting vinyls that i appreciate. whatever distortion the turntable gives off, adds to the effect.

now THIS is an egregious statement.
If this retarded notion was true, youd keep using your Crosley record player.
>>
>>912035
>>912040
>>912563
>>912570
Samefagging

Anyway OP, tinkering with the amp or adding an active filter will have a much bigger effect on the sound than precision tweaking the mechanical parts. Adding bass and treble controls for example. Or adding a band-stop filter for 60 hz.
>>
>>912544
You know a totally reasonable belt-drive turn table is like $50-$100 bucks? it's not even more expensive than buying a shitty one. They cost the same. You just need to know what you're looking for, and you've been told over and over, but you still just have your head shoved up your ass.

Go down to salvation army or craigslist or an estate sale. Find the old ass record player from the 70s in the back.

It is almost definitely belt drive with a nice heavy table because these were standard features by the hifi era.. It needs a new belt but that is about a nickel. Take it home, attach to your Phono amp. you're fucking done.
>>
Oh shit, I didn't think /diy/ was still awake
>>912591
>What exactly did he say that was so egregious?
I'm not saying it's egregious. Those are all fairly valid points. Just speaking from experience, it's shitty to obsess over every detail and fear playing your music lest you destroy the discs because your setup will never be good enough according to someone online. That and Sperger Herzog kinda missed the point of op's post anyway, probably cuz he wants to validate his own choices.

These days I roll like this nigga >>912027
This guy >>912603 kinda gets it too.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.