[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is it, /diy/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
File: millw.jpg (69 KB, 794x400) Image search: [Google]
millw.jpg
69 KB, 794x400
Which is it, /diy/?
>>
Which one has a cord?
>>
>>908670
you have to buy the adaptor that lets you plug it right into the charger
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
>>
>>908675
thats cheating
>>
>>908675
I bought this one as well. No complaints so far, they are lighter and made with more plastic than my older one. But they feel well made.
I have a 10 amp corded one, but I rarely need that much power, and these are quite nice.
>>
cabinet installer here

even the 12v impacts will sink a 4" screw in a 2x4. outside of drywall holesaws, I never need much more power than that.
>>
honestly i prefer ryobi
>>
>>908687
get out
>>
Me personally? Cheap shit ryobo bright green puke.

For the business?

Makita.
>>
We /g/ now?
>AMD vs. Nvida
A real han/diy/man could get-er-done with a hand drill.
Shit tier product thread
>>
>>908669
Anyone who doesn't open their service vehicle too a sea of yellow power tools and a minimum of 2 black and yellow bags shouldn't be using tools.
>>
>>908700
>people need my opinion!
Fuck off, faggot. /diy/ doesn't need tripfags.
>>
>>908687
B8ing this hard
>>
Milwaukee for 12v, Makita for 18v.
>>
>>908669
Either.
>You forgot makita.
>>
>>908669
Honestly bro all those drills are made in the same factories. All they change is the logo and color.

Just "use wut yer daddy used."
>>
>>908669
Milwaukee has a ton of other shit you can plug the batteries into
>>
>>908717

>Just "use wut yer daddy used."

He has some ancient black and decker drill which feels of particularly impressive quality, a silverline grinder and power saw, and a couple of Bosch sanders.

Silverline doesn't seem to exist anymore, Bosch cost an arm and a leg here and black and decker is purely foreign purchase.

>>908703

>implying this isn't an opinion thread
>>
i thought makita was the skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTJKSH7mCU
>>
I've been happy with Milwaukee stuff. I figure anything non shit tier will probably last longer than the batteries will... and unfortunately new batts are almost as spendy as a new tool.

I'm looking to get a few corded tools (circular saw, sawzall) and I'm thinking Makita--handier guys than me swear by them.
>>
Is makita any good?
>>
>>908734
For corded i always go DeWalt for saws and Milwaukee for drills.
>>
>>908734

We have a Chinese brand here called ING-CO.

We have a 900w grinder, an 1800w power saw and a 2800w rotary hammer from them.

We had the grinder for two years doing odd jobs before we put it on a building site where it cut 3/4" steel for 8 hours a day every day for 1 1/2 years, the power saw cut all the boxing for the casting after being in our possession doing odd jobs for 3 years before and the rotary hammer did all the after thought coring and and initial demo of the previous structure.

The building was completed a year and change ago and these pieces of Chinese junk are still going strong. So if any rand name power tool out there fails in less than 3 years of average use those companies are no better than cheap shit Ching Chongjin wing wang brands that are supposedly so bad that they can't sell in the US
>>
>>908751
Any particular reason?
>>
>>908669
Anyone like rigid? I know it's only a half step above shit tier for decent tier prices, but I'm wondering whether it may be worth it because the service plan covers replacing worn out batteries now. If you buy a tool that's not bare, anyway. So may end up ahead @ >>908734
>>
>>908753
...they're all ching chongjin wing wang brands.

Anyways, corded is one thing. Batteries just don't last years on years without losing some performance. IIRC sitting unused is as bad or worse than cycling them regularly.
>>
>>908757
>but I'm wondering whether it may be worth it because the service plan covers replacing worn out batteries now

Their warranty has always covered batteries. Its just now its a 3 year warranty instead of a lifetime warranty.

They are fucking awful to deal with warranty wise, dont use that as a buying point.

My home depot is so fucking incompetent, I would never buy rigid anything.
>>
Dewalt has never let me down.
>>
Pulled open a 30 year old motor from a table saw/planer today. 40 bucks for a new bearing and new overload switch and it still runs fine.
>>
>>908669
Makita
>>
>>909328
>40 bucks for a new bearing and new overload switch and it still runs fine
that sounds like a lot for a bearing & overload
>>
>>908669
I'll pass.
>>
I use a Milwaukee M18 with a low profile battery work for above head work. Sturdy and light.

That being said, there is absolutely no difference between brands in any major way. Just decide on a brand and stick with it so you have a plethora of batteries. If you go corded, just buy whatever is on sale.
>>
Makita. So far so good.
>>
>>909350
This
>>
>>908669
Why do most cheap drill sets come with an impact driver? Do the kind of people who buy a cheap drill set at Home Depot actually *need* an impact driver? I'm not saying an impact driver is useless, but I think most people would be better off spending the money to buy one better-quality drill than a cheap drill and cheap impact driver.
>>
>>909437
>Assuming equivalent quality/price.
I'd say the average homeowner has more to gain from a good impact. The impact can do everything a drill can do, just not always as well.
But I do agree with the fact both are redundant for a home owner, a skilsaw or sawzall would be better.
>>
>>909437
Most of the "tradesmen" these days use their impact driver for everything.
>>
>>909437
Impact driver is the superior tool for everything other than drilling pretty holes. They sell them together because people won't make the jump from a drill to an impact driver.

Also it's just to give the illusion of increased value. TWO TOOLS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!
>>
File: 20151202_195142.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151202_195142.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Audio Visual installation, handyman and general builder in the UK.

Use these all day everyday and they work! There was a tool show last February selling 9 peice Dewalt set with 3 tough cases and the dolly for £1000. Have enough saved for a set.

On a job at the moment where the landscaper bought a milwaukee combi drill and impact driver. Used them for a day and they are heavier but just as good.
>>
>>909453

True. Nothing like trying to remove a breaker from a panel after some dummy hit it with his impact.
>>
>>909475
>not immediately dumping that stupid handle thing
>>
i bought new dewalts a couple months ago. i had bought an 18v 5 pack in 2002 or 3 and have bought several sets of batteries for them through the years. the tools were all still good except the recip saw, which the quick release blade changer broke on after 10 years.

when i was pricing batteries again, i just decided to spend a few more bux and get new tools with li-ion batteries. im amazed at the increase in torque, and how the bigger(5ah) batteries last all day.

i have friends in other trades who use milwaukee, bosch, and portercable, they like theirs as much as i like mine.
>>
>>909552
>not knowing the handle is for the hammer drill and is a necessity for holes being square to the surface
>>
>>909552
It's great for my big fucking hammer drill, I can actually hold the thing steady with it attached, especially when drilling through brick and concrete with the 35mm bit.
>>
>>909554
>necessity
certainly is not a necessity!

>>909557
if you take your time and pilot properly its pretty difficult to go off course even with a bastard bit

if it was a proper sds+ cunt masher hammed drill that needed two hands or else you couldn't hold it balanced then fine but for a wee diddy CORDLESS drill i just don't get it.
>>
>>909560
It's a gimmick for cordless sure, but for heavy corded tools a handle is invaluable.
>>
>>908736
I've got a set of makita drills, I've had them for about 5-6 months installing cabinets. I like them so far, the guy I work with also has makitas and his are like 3 years old and the only issue is the triggers needing to be swapped out. Plus the triggers feel really nice compared to the dewalts I've tried which when you let go of the trigger seem to snap to a stop, where the makita trigger is nice and smooth.
>>
File: hammer drill.jpg (16 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
hammer drill.jpg
16 KB, 300x225
>>909560
>i just don't get it.
obvs
>>
>>909554
the sissy handle is actually for wood boring and other large diameter hole making bits. Run a 6" hole saw with and without the handle and tell me it didnt make a difference.
>>
>>909572
This. Put in 6" cab lights and tell me your cordless doesn't need a grip.

(blue ryobi, worked fine.)
>>
>>909573
what the fuck is a
>6" cab lights

i can imagine a 6" diameter holesaw would be unwieldy but i would just hold it with the other hand behind the chuck
>>
>>909581
Can light.

If you're imagining a 6" hole saw and have never used one, you just don't know man. The torque goes way, way up. You're not holding it with one hand and two on the grip isn't the same. A handle us definitely necessary.
>>
File: WP_20151202_001.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3552) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151202_001.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3552
>>909587
Derp
>>
File: shopping-1.jpg (5 KB, 450x61) Image search: [Google]
shopping-1.jpg
5 KB, 450x61
>>909587
or one of these mofos
>>
>>909376
single unit price from catalog, we don't actually pay that price
>>
>>908669
Fuck both of them makita is the way to go
>>
Makita. DeWalt. Milwaukee. Pick your favorite color and it can't go wrong.
>>
I used to work for a company that made the DC motors for these. They're all the same on the inside besides switches to provide different feel. We provided DC motors to ALL big chain store brands (ryobi, dewalt, ect.).
>>
Dewalt> Makita> garbage
>>
I've been considering upgrading to a house fan with a drill chuck attached
>>
>>910122
I know for a fact Milwaukee uses brushless motors in some of their tools. So there's something different between the major brands.
>>
>>910122

Man, that's what I thought.

I wound up getting a Ryobi drill and impact driver on Black Friday weekend because the deal was slightly different than the Milwaukee and DeWalt equivalents but all of them seemed basically identical. Did I fuck up or not?

>>910164

The brushless line is higher-end, as far as I can tell the basic 18V drill/drivers are all pretty much identical across different brands
>>
>>908669
I've tried the dewalt screwdrivers, though I'm not too fond of them. The milwaukee screwdrivers are good, I buy them when I can and the hitachi brand is also a decent one, but makita beats them both when I'm out working on difficult areas.
>>
BOSCH master race

you are all gayz
>>
Makita but not the new gay white Makita casing I'm talking the blue one.
>>
>>910273
I'm not saying its not blue. But I wouldn't call it blue.
What colour is it actually?
I can't remember now actually.
Is it blue?
Fuck.
>>
>>910122
did your company also do brushless motors for most drill companies?

I'm a major advocate for brushless motors. Partly because I have experience building+controlling them, partly because they are better, and partly because they aren't standard across the industry yet.

If a tool company wants to build a brushless tool, they have to pay for some real engineering time to design it. That's different from brushed tools where the knowledge about how to build one is decades old and designs are driven by a sub-industry that's specialized in driving down the price+quality of parts.

I prefer a modern tool designed by an engineer more than an classic tool designed by a parts-by-price spreadsheet.

In 3-4 years, the brushless motor sub-industry will look just like the brushed sub-industry, and my argument won't hold water anymore.
>>
>>908687
>shitobi
>not Black and Decker
>>
>>909552
>breaking your wrist because you're a retard who can't into safety equipment
>>
Makita > all

Everyone knows japanese make the best.
>>
>>908669
Milwaukee is definitely the better of the two, but I wouldn't buy either. Makita.
>>
>>909587
>not installing the cans before the ceiling drywall then using a rotozip
>>
>>910378
Makita is made in China now too
>>
>>908669
M12 or M18?

I cant decide, buying the brushless set with the hammer drill and the hex impact driver.

The m18 is about 100$ more, but im not sure id really use it or need that sort of power
>>
>>910481
M18, you won't regret it
>>
>>910467
Yeah let just tear my drywall and put it back up and then cut new holes in it
>>
Milwaukee makes the highest performance drills on the market imho

>inb4 festering stool

I bet the Milwaukee brushless would eat the Festool for lunch.
>>
Festool all the way expensive but worth every bit of cash
>>
File: milwaukee.png (56 KB, 231x530) Image search: [Google]
milwaukee.png
56 KB, 231x530
milwaukee is by far the leader in cordless brushless 12 volt clothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 480x480
Lol wtf ?
>>
>>910558
Those are actually really nice out on the oil fields in the middle of January. The battery packs are easy to swap out, and last longer than any other heated jacket I've tried.
>>
>>908669
milwaukee probably

but i aint rich, i'm a poor college kid so DEWALT is GOAT for ME
>>
>>910276
Blue and gold?
>>
>>910273
The white and black Makitas are nice looking
>>
Hilti is pretty amazing.

If you don't want to pay for that.

Milwaukee tools of all types have never failed me.

Dewalt saws have been good to me. But, for some reason I destroy Dewalt drills. Nonstop, for two decades I can't get more than two jobs out of a Dewalt drill.

Mostly everything runs pretty well as long as you aren't intensely stupid.

I have had Milwaukee tools run longer in the rain. I'm not sure how much of a selling point that is. But, they don't really mind being soaked. Nor do I.
>>
>not one mention of metabo
>>
>>910896
Festool-tier memetool
>>
buy hilti
I do commercial roofing and the Milwaukee drills die after a day; however, the Milwaukee impact delivers sufficient dopamine when putting in screws
>>
File: DeWaltBrushless.jpg (38 KB, 522x522) Image search: [Google]
DeWaltBrushless.jpg
38 KB, 522x522
>>910164
DeWalt and Makita both have brushless models too. The specs for each are similar but not identical. Compare price with any preferences for specific aspects of performance and other battery-compatible tools. The higher-end stuff is all good for most tasks.
>>
>>908736
>makita
my dad was a cabinet maker. He's had his 30 years now. They all work still. He used them for at least 15 years actively every day. I have never asked about any repairs to be fair though. I used to use dewalts at one job because that was what they had. I hated them. They were kind of pieces of shit with regular use. I have a more recent makita drill. It does a great job and I have had no issues. I was looking in the home depot at drills the other day and the milwaukee rep was there and trying to sell me on them. He showed me their battery life display and tossed the battery hard onto the concrete floor. Still worked fine. Maybe good as a job site tool based on that.
>>
File: makita.jpg (4 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
makita.jpg
4 KB, 257x196
>>911187
my cabinet shop has had these forever.

if you zap the batteries with an 18V battery from another drill, it makes them last longer. there's how-tos on it
>>
>>909552
>>909554
>>910318

If you're the kind of mincer that's worried about breaking their wrist on a battery hammer drill with a sprag clutch, you shouldn't be around power tools.

As for ops question
Makita
Hilti
Festool
>>
>>908669
neither, get the makita
>>
Carpenter here, go with either Milwaukee or Makita if you're going to use them a lot.
>>
They recalled the harbor freight cordless drills from like the past 5 years.

Trade it in, and you still get a brand new battery
>>
>>911057
>DeWalt and Makita both have brushless models too. The specs for each are similar but not identical. Compare price with any preferences for specific aspects of performance and other battery-compatible tools. The higher-end stuff is all good for most tasks.

Tests prove Milwaukee builds the best 18v brushless hammer drill on the market.
>>
>>912413
Citation? There have been a lot of "tests" of that sort involving many different models of drill from a variety of manufacturers. This one, for example http://www.coptool.com/18v-brushless-hammer-drill-showdown-2-dewalt-vs-milwaukee-vs-makita-vs-bosch/ has a newer Makita drill judged as "best".

That aside, note the "any preferences for specific aspects of performance" part of my post that you quoted. In the test I linked, the DeWalt was the lightest of the tested drills and had slightly more torque than the Milwaukee. If someone placed a high priority on weight or torque, those factors could make the DeWalt a better choice for them. "The best" is not an attribute that exists independently of criteria.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.