[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife Rust removal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 2015-11-29 14.09.24.png (1 MB, 540x959) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29 14.09.24.png
1 MB, 540x959
A while ago I found this old old knife on my family's property. I'm trying to remove the rust (which is really thick) with lemon juice + salt and steel wool. I'm having some success, but is there any better way to do this? If anyone knows possibly the approximate age or manufacturer of the thing that'd be awesome.
>>
File: yogkdnxns.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yogkdnxns.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
It also looks like there used to be some sort of name pressed into the handle
>>
Sandpaper.
>>
File: 20151129_141941.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151129_141941.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Update:
After more scrubbing there seems to be a logo starting to appear. Should be able to ID soon
>>
File: 71FLbgT1zIL._SL1500_.jpg (158 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71FLbgT1zIL._SL1500_.jpg
158 KB, 1500x1500
throw it away, it's like $10 new and was never great.
>>
Shh it's beautiful
>>
>>907966
Fixing things is fun, and he'll have a useful beater knife with character afterwards.
>>
>>908010
>a useful beater knife with character afterwards.
he'll have some busted garbage that is the best tool for nothing but giving somebody tetanus
>>
>>907966
Sometimes it is great to experiment on a terrible piece than to come across a better piece and not know what to do.
>>
>>907957
Electrolysis is best. It's actually much easier than it might seem. It's also extremely satisfying to watch it in action is you have enough power, otherwise it's slow. You're also not removing any un-rusted metal, so thats good. Finally there's really no physical labour involved, a light scrubbing will suffice.
>>
White vinegar will take the rust off
Soak metal in vinegar for a day
But since you are scrubbing it, continue
The good thing is if you fuck it up no shits will be given
>>
>>908040
>not getting your tetanus booster shots
>being eternally afraid of a little rust
Pleb

There's no reason why it won't be able to be used after he's removed all the rust and given it a good sharpen.
>>
citric acid and water. Soak for an hour or so, lil sandpaper to clean it off, good to go.
>>
>>908099
My grandma had some old knives that weren't stainless or chromed. She said they kept an edge better than the newer ones. After she washed them she wiped them down with vegetable oil.
>>
>>908759
While your grandma sounds like a lovely lady... Vegetable oil spoils. Always use mineral oil on knives.
>>
File: 439.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
439.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
Hydrochloric acid removes rust well.
>>
>>908759
You know that not stainless or chromed knives are still made, right? Also I'd like to stab that bitchwith her rancid fat knives.
>>
>>907957
vinegar
>>
>>909093
Yes, but... If knife is in kitchen, its likely being used in food prep, and often. While mineral oil isn't toxic, its one more thing to keep around. I coat all my metal stuff with veg oil in kitchen. Garage blades get wd40 BC S FL humidity eats them.
>>
>>909123
Go back to /b/
>>
>>907957
Soak it in a weak acid. White vinegar, or even Carbonated soda will work (soda takes a LONG time though). This will soften the rust into a sludge goop. Scrub that off. Profit.

No sludge? Soak longer.

Note, this won't be good for the handel, but that looks toast anyway.
>>
>>907966
these knives are great, fuck off
>>
>>907957
Use cola to scrub it off.
Amazing results.
>>
>>909219
>wd40
You're a terrible person.
That shit'll evaporate off within a week.
I wipe my tools down with either 3 in 1 or motor oil, depending on which I have at hand.
>>
>>907957
just use wd40
>>
>>909219
food grade mineral oil. regular mineral oil isn't safe to ingest., unless you want to squirt out of both ends instead of just one.

>>907957
i would drill the rivets and remove the handle and use a brass wire wheel, then a brass brush with a solvent (not to remove the rust, but something with a lower viscosity than water to help carry the rust away), WD-40 or even coke-cola would work for that. once i removed most of the rust i would polish it up with a buffing wheel and buffing compound, coat it in oil (vegetable oil is fine) and stick it in my oven as low as it would go for an hour so the oil penetrates it to prevent further rusting. then make a new handle for it either using brass rivets to secure it or counter sink nuts in one side of the handle and use cut to length screws to secure it.
>>
>>907966
he's not doing it just to fuck with you, man.
he likes it so who cares?
>>
Use phosphoric acid. You can but it in Naval Jelly or colas. Also helpful for rust removal is WD-40 and steel wool. If you have a bench grinder, you should just wire wheel the thing clean.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.