[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mineral oil pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: O99t51D.jpg (71 KB, 1069x596) Image search: [Google]
O99t51D.jpg
71 KB, 1069x596
So I've been researching this topic for the past hour and id like to know /diy/ opinion on this. I believe I will do this with this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mgC2P6
>>
>>907079
Fun gimick for hardware reviewers. Not really practical for people.

You still need a radiator. The performance gain the reviewers see is from the huge sink it is. Once its at capacity its not much better than water cooling.

You're also not running up against any sort of performance wall with air cooled boards any more. This might have a use if you need to get one more .1v out of your cpucore to get another 200mhz. Realistically that's not a worthwhile gain and you could probably get it by just blowing more air at your CPU power smoothing.

Your parts will be all gross. You can never use them in air again. its not cheap, and there's hardly any performance gain.
>>
>>907081
I'm doing it for looks over practicality. I don't plan on upgrading but when I must I will just build a new pc :)
>>
>>907093
I did it. It was cool. Had a small fish tank with a rounded front sitting around. The oil was very expensive, though. Wouldn't do it again, although it cooled the components fairly well. It's too risky with kids, and I can't fathom submerging expensive parts in it.
>>
>>907079
>id like to know /diy/ opinion on this
You have to use system components that use only solid state capacitors, or you will have to replace the ones that are not.

Basic cheap electrolytic capacitors are made largely out of synthetic rubber, which mineral oil will saturate and soften over time. When that happens you'll find loose capacitors that have freed themselves from their leads and are now floating around inside your mineral oil.

You will also have similar issues with being able to find pumps that are compatible with mineral oil so that you can keep it flowing to avoid convective hotspots inside your tank.

Another concern is cabling. You have to connect your motherboard to several components that are not receptive to submersion. The simple solution is to just mount them high enough in the enclosure that they are not submerged. You then still have to connect the motherboard to peripherals. The resulting case configurations get a bit cumbersome.

Your tank cannot have an open top. Mineral oil collects dust and debris like a mofo.

And then there's the eventual headache involved in upgrading hardware without getting mineral oil all over the place.
>>
File: housefire.png (24 KB, 377x158) Image search: [Google]
housefire.png
24 KB, 377x158
>>907079
I am digging it because i want to check something.
>>
>>907079
Hurp durp, I bet you like Linus of linustechtips.

Fuckin faggot.
>>
>>908790
Takes one to know one
>>
>>908846
Look at this kid here. I but your mommy bought your first computer back on black friday. Bet it was a laptop too. Shit kid. Get out of here. Go do something beside lurk on 4chan or peeking in the hole you mad in your closet to watch your sister take a shower in the bathroom next to your room.
>>
>>907187
>When that happens you'll find loose capacitors that have freed themselves from their leads and are now floating around inside your mineral oil.

That seems fun
>>
>>909152
>your case will never have little electrolytic fish inside of it, pooping out bits of aluminum every once in a while
>>
>>907187

>You have to use system components that use only solid state capacitors, or you will have to replace the ones that are not.

Going to (tentatively) call bullshit on this. Capacitors have virtually no rubber in them. They usually contain plastic in their base and cover. What exactly these will be is a toss up between PVC, polyethylene, and polypropylene, ABS, (and possibly polyolefin). None of these are incompatible with mineral oil, excepting possibly polyethylene (although I'm finding conflicting data on that one). PVC, specifically, is listed as being a suitable material for contact with mineral oil in every compatibility chart I've looked at.

Moreover, this would be essentially impossible. While some motherboards advertise solid capacitors, I'm not aware of any video cards that do (although I admit I haven't looked too hard). Same for the PSU.

The only parts that I would expect to actually have trouble with this are parts with rubber (not to be confused with flexible PVC). But, at the same time, mineral oil IS a mild organic solvent, and there are a lot of different materials used in a PC that's potentially susceptible to such solvents. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>907079
its only for dicking around, you can do this with very well distilled water and mineral oil

you need some ammount of water cooling for the cpu as normal heat syncs arent going to cut it

you could get away with a giant ass no fan heat sync and push water/oil through it with a pump

also at some point you need to clean that damn thing, and you will never be able to re use the parts outside of this setup, so dont put anything you want to use for the long haul in it, just make sure its all parts that cost what you are willing to flush down the toilet.
>>
File: 1439509233219.gif (87 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1439509233219.gif
87 KB, 480x270
>>907079
Just use canola oil and instead of a radiator use chopped potatoes and swap them out whenever they crisp to a fine golden brown.
>>
>>909309
>Capacitors have virtually no rubber in them.
The capacitor makers themselves usually call the bottom plug material "rubber" or "synthetic rubber". No idea if it's oil-resistant rubber or not.
>>
>>909836
I would've gone with coconut oil and Maris Piper spuds. If you've got a budget, use vegetable oil and substitute the spuds with frozen alphabet potato bites.
>>
Bumping this thread because this is something I've been wanting to do for years. I heard that these PCs, despite overclocking, are completely silent.
>>
>>909869
Seeing as the only sound that your computer generates is from fans running and hard drives spinning. Pretty much. You can't submerge hard drives, so if you use HDDs still they will have to be out of the oil and will still make noise. SSDs can be submerged but are silent anyway.
>>
File: tank.jpg (299 KB, 1709x1282) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
299 KB, 1709x1282
I built one of these about 5 years ago and it was a huge waste of time and money. My advice to anyone thinking of building one is don't bother unless you are willing to throw about £300 at it and don't mind wasting the components that go inside the tank because they will be half way to fucked by the time you take them out (especially the capacitors on the motherboard). Pic related, it's the one I built. Ask me anything I guess.
>>
>>909984
What is the problem? Does the oil corrode the components or something?
>>
>>910009
The main problem was that when I removed the motherboard from the oil, half of the capacitors fell off. Whatever was holding them on the PCB had degraded in the oil.
The oil itself if very unpleasant to work with as it stains fabric, never dries out and starts to smell when it heats up. Needless to say, that when you do decide to re purpose the components, you'll have a off coloured wet patch under your new case that smells slightly off. It's easier to throw them away.
>>
>>909984
>9800 GX2
Must have been a fucker of a rig for the time though.
>>
>>910047
yeah, those were the days when I didn't give a second thought to spunking £400 on a graphics card. Good times.
>>
>>910014
Yea, thats what they called solder
>>
>>911672
>solder dissolves in mineral oil
What are you smoking?
>>
>>909836
>>909860

Just in case someone is too autistic to get the joke:
You should never use triglycerides (vegetable/ animal based oils) for this, they go rancid real fast and the fatty acids kill the parts.

>>912876
i guess the oil got too hot
>>
>>907079
It's beyond useless unless you never want to touch your PC components again, air cooling will always be the way to go for practicality
>>
>>907097
>The oil was very expensive, though.

I paid like $40usd for 1 gallon of transformer oil. I don't even want to know what a fish tank of it would be.
>>
>>912878
It would have to get about 200C.
>>
>>912906
well i bought half a liter of it at Ikea and it only cost me 1.5€
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.