[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/, make me aware of some basic thermography and how could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: FLIR1634.jpg (101 KB, 653x237) Image search: [Google]
FLIR1634.jpg
101 KB, 653x237
/diy/, make me aware of some basic thermography and how could I improve the situation.

The pic is made from outside. The windows are supposed to be new, triple glass. Northern Europe, so heat insulation is important.

You can see that there are three places that the heat is leaking from. Is this normal that:
1) the place you this gypsum stuff on the wall is where the heat is leaking?
2) the place where the window connects to the frane is where the heat is also leaking?
3) the place where the glass pane is connected to the frame is where the heat is leaking as well?

Thanks
>>
>>906623
>the place you see this gypsum stuff
quickfix

>frame
>>
>>906625
bump
>>
>>906623
it look slike where the glass meets the frame and the gap where the window closes.

the dar filler in the wall might be thinner than the rest of the wall OR the heat from the window gap could just be warming it up.
compare it with the sides if they are filled in a similar fashion.

just because its red doesn't mean its actually hot
the seals where the window closes will always be warmer than the rest because there is a gap
look at the scale, there is what 9C difference? at -4 you are doing pretty fucking well i would say, its not like you are heating your house at -1C and losing the heat to outside are you?

is your house actually cold or did you just blow loads of money on flir and now you feel like you should use it?

if you really want to fix this you have two options
1 get windows that don't open
2 get rid of the window and brick it up

but usually you just put up curtains for an extra insulation layer. air is a great insulator, trapping it with curtains or blinds to stop convection currents is quite effective and essentially how double glazing works but without the air otherwise you would get condensation but anyway.
>>
>>906623
Could this just be an artifact from varying levels of material emissivity?
>>
>>907258
Dunno
>>
>>906623
Note that thermograpic cameras don't show you heat flow, they only show the black-body temperature of the (non-IR-transparent) object they're looking at.

If you put a soldering iron behind a window, it would say the window was 600 degrees, whilst in fact no thermal energy was being conducted or convected through the window.
>>
>>908045
i dont believe you
i had a play with one and it didnt pick up my friend in the lab through a window, just the window.
>>
>>908047
It can see through its own lens.

Its lens is not made of magic and rainbows.

Ergo some materials are transparent to infrared and some are opaque.
>>
>>908047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPho7m01CTw
>>
>>908077
Dear Namefag.

Seeing as you've juse discovered evidence of a substance similar to matter that isn't matter, you shouldn't be wasting your talents on an image board.

Quick! Make haste and publish, before someone else finds out and steals your discovery!

Imagine the possible breakthroughs a non-matter solid could lead to!

And to think, it's bee here under our nose the whole time!

I, for one, cannot wait to discover the incredible engineering appications of Smidgels Substance!
>>
>>906623
....perchance is the window frame metal?
>>
>>908268
That white frame? That frame is plastic.

OP
>>
>>906623
bump
>>
>>909085
bump
>>
>>906623
heat goes from were it is to where it isn't as a general law. the colder it is outside, the faster heat wants to go to it. This actually "pressurizes your house somewhat which is why you hear noise from windows/doors when you open another door on the other side of the house... The pressure difference draw or pushes air out of any crack it can find. Paint seals drywall pretty well so when you think about it the only place air can get out is the attic, subfloor, various vents and of course the cracks where the window opens and the glass is seated. No matter what you do, air will always pass through theses areas which is why it's showing up on your thermal camera. Also with windows, more heat leaks out there because of the way that they wrap the house with weatherseal. It is purposely not completely sealed and left open at the bottom to ensure that it can air out any water that would happen to get inside during a heavy rainstorm. This explains the heat on the gypsum trim away from the window pane itself. This should not worry you the window itself looks as if it has the same r value of your wall insulation which is great.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.